Anyone own a Subaru?

I’ve never really thought too much about this before, but saw a tv commercial the other day from Subaru stating they are the largest corporate donor to the ASPCA.

That got me thinking…The ASPCA is similar to other animal ‘rights’ companies like the HSUS, PETA, etc…
All of which are strongly opposed to hunting and trapping. This made me think that I need to be selective as to which companies I am willing to support financially.

Does anyone else care about this? I think we all should!
Best one I heard was Rush Limbaugh said Subaru’s came from the factory with Kerry/Edwards for president stickers on them

Reactions: CDK
They are definitely the official car of Bozeman. I think it's required to have a coexist and Feel the Bern stickers on the back. Joking aside, for some reason Subarus have far more stickers than any other vehicle on the road. Usually left leaning stuff too. 🤷‍♂️

Unless you’ve got full lockers front and rear; AWD is going to be superior to your 4WD typically found in most pickups.

No. If the AWD was engaged 50/50 always, it would be 4x4. The problem is the center diff decides what the power distribution is from front to rear. I prefer a 50/50 distribution in bad weather. If non 50/50 works for you, that's totally fine with me. After my second spin on a downhill stretch, I was done with Subaru. Fwiw, I've never spun a 4x4, but I've only been driving them 40 years. ;). I don't mind AWD, but I prefer to be able to engage 4x4 if required.

Some brands with AWD like some Lexus models have an option to lock the center diff. AFAIK, that's not an option for Subaru. Limited slip is not the same as locked for a single diff or a center diff.

From the Subaru site ...

Viscous-coupling Centre Differential AWD​

This system is used for all models equipped with manual transmissions, excluding the WRX STI. It delivers the sporty satisfaction of quick shifts combined with an AWD system that makes the most of the available traction at all times. This system also features an efficient layout with a viscous-coupling limited slip centre differential that maintains a 50/50 front/rear torque split for optimum torque distribution, near neutral handling and surefooted performance.

Active Torque Split AWD​

This system employs a multi-plate transfer clutch that maintains a 60/40 front/rear torque split and uses a range of sensors to automatically adjust this split on-the-fly as conditions warrant, creating more predictable handling. The system that's linked to all Subaru models (excluding WRX) equipped with the Lineartronic® Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), the Active Torque Split AWD places the focus on ease of operation, fuel efficiency and reliability.

Variable Torque Distribution AWD​

Linked to the Subaru Performance Transmission® (SPT) and exclusive to the WRX, this AWD system delivers sportier performance and superior efficiency all at once. The centre differential adjusts front/rear torque split from 45/55 in normal conditions (for a sportier rear-biased feel) up to 50/50 when the weather worsens or the road conditions deteriorate (for maximum traction). The viscous self-locking rear differential maintains stability when more torque is sent to the rear wheels, ensuring the perfect balance of control and fun.

They are definitely the official car of Bozeman. I think it's required to have a coexist and Feel the Bern stickers on the back. Joking aside, for some reason Subarus have far more stickers than any other vehicle on the road. Usually left leaning stuff too. 🤷‍♂️
You forgot the LGBT flag stickers all over the back!

Here’s a solid one I saw just the other day. Can take you anywhere, pack it full of 1/4’s and a backcountry setup, and bounce to impress the chicks at the ASPCA pound.8753A010-4746-4D18-B69D-06722FB601D9.jpeg

Here’s a solid one I saw just the other day. Can take you anywhere, pack it full of 1/4’s and a backcountry setup, and bounce to impress the chicks at the ASPCA pound.View attachment 518757
Subaru
Here’s a solid one I saw just the other day. Can take you anywhere, pack it full of 1/4’s and a backcountry setup, and bounce to impress the chicks at the ASPCA pound.View attachment 518757
Subaru is also #1 vehicle choice for lesbians so if she's driving one maybe don't waste your time

I love the wife's Outback, I hope she decides to replace it with another Subaru when the time comes.

I think the whole "cancel culture" nonsense is ridiculous.

I'm pretty unconcerned with where they donate.

They supposedly fixed that in 2014. I had a 2009 Forester and sold it at 190,000 after driving it for 11 years. It had a head gasket leak. My wife had a 2005 outback pretty much the same story. Except it went 16 years very similar mileage.

. I was always Kind of disappointed with the Forrester mileage. Maybe it’s better nowadays. I replaced the Forester with a 2019 crew cab long bed Tacoma. The Tacoma gets maybe two mpg less mileage than the Forrester. But I can haul a lot more crap around in it.
I bought my 2001 outback with 150k mi for $4k from a small auto shop with a side business buying blown up subarus, replacing the timing belt assemblies, planing the heads down and replacing the gaskets, and reselling them. It just rolled over 225k mi and functions flawlessly (other than that the muffler is rusted half away and it sounds like a huey).

I've spent literally hundreds of nights in that little car, and it has gone places year round that these $70k+ trail boss mall crawlers i see will never, ever dream of going. It's about time to get something newer (looking at the outback wilderness) but there's no way I'm trading it in, I'm whipping that thing around the valley until 300k at least.

The Lezbaru with a "COEXIST" sticker is the official car of Asheville, NC
GF's married lesbian friends both drive them.
I can confirm the Subaru can take out a whitetail doe at 50 and still make it home.
She limped it to my girls place and I straightened out the remaining headlight and taped it in place for her to get home :LOL:

Same wife has a 2022 Ascent. Did a lot of research before buying and it has been a great vehicle so far.

Mother in law has a 2005 Outback with 170,000 miles on it. Going strong.

To the OP: Everyone has to do what they think is right. If Subaru isn’t for you, then good. Might want to look into the company that you bought the phone from that you started this thread on though lol.

So did we. Wife was dead set on a Toyota Highlander. I told her they’re basically the same except these Ascents run about $5k less for similar packages. She drove one and said she prefers the feel over anything else we drove. Been real nice so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did we. Wife was dead set on a Toyota Highlander. I told her they’re basically the same except these Ascents run about $5k less for similar packages. She drove one and said she prefers the feel over anything else we drove. Been real nice so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes we love ours. Coming from a 2009 Buick Enclave, which was also a great vehicle. We gave that to our Son with 185,000 miles on it and they are still driving it. We have about 3,500 on the Subaru so far and are really enjoying it. Not long enough to speak to longevity, but for the price and what you get, not sure you can beat them.

I would like one, but their boxer engines seem to have issues with the head gaskets so I will not get one. Every brand can have the same issue, no doubt about that, but seems like Subaru have a bigger problem than most when it comes to HG's.
I hear they fixed that, but I just got rid of mine for excessive oil consumption. Otherwise, a good car.

We got an 18 forester when we had our kid before last hunting season. I don't have the money to be picky about what company I choose to support. Not the greatest mileage but it is absolutely smooth on the back roads and silent which I love in the woods. All three of us hunting elk and deer all of archery and rifle season. Saved lots of money on gas compared to my 92 k1500 and the heated seats kept her happy after the hikes. It also has a big trunk that is hard to see into to keep packs and other crap out of sight. I also love that its only 1 of a million in Idaho so nobody knows its me. No stickers no fuss.

Back