anyone know where to find KMZ type trails to add into google earth?

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone out in internet land found a good source to download KMZ trail files from to use in google earth? I am looking into various units before application season and it would be nice to know what kind of trail system is in each area. Maybe I am missing a layer in GE. I use ONX maps occasionally too, but it has be crashing like crazy on me lately. I am currently looking for AZ trails, but would like to figure out where to find the data for most other western states.
Thanks

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I know Top Rut will email you free KMZ files, unit specific. I'm not sure if they include trails though but would be worth checking out.

I'm surprised to hear that your OnX keeps crashing on you. I've never had that issue with mine. I would contact their customer service and see if they can fix the bug.

gumbl3

WKR
top rut will send you a packet with all of the topo maps for the unit. Most of these have trails marked on them, just have to turn on that layer

.. if using google earth

OP
critrgitr

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I’ll reach out to onx and see if they can fix the crashes. I’ve got the toprut download package for one u it and the trails weren’t on there. Maybe it just varies from place to place what’s actually on the maps they send to add as a layer. Thanks

wapitibob

WKR
go to a specific forest district web page, left hand side...

click link to "land and resources management"

click link to "geospatial data"

click link to "geospatial datasets"

scroll down to transportation sets and download the "trail routes".

some forests don't have the data, if the data is .shp only you will need ge pro to open the shape file.

JuicyTrails also has trail info (now traildock).

Last edited:
OP
critrgitr

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks wapitibob. Those forest service data sets with trails is exactly what I was looking for!

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Best I've been able to put together for AZ trails:

From the USFS you can pull GIS data (trails) from different National Forests

You'll have to convert the SHP files to KML. I was able to do this via MyGeoData (FYI: After a certain number of downloads you'll have to pay for additional)

Here's what trails in the AZ Matazal wilderness look like via GE:
View attachment 83933