Anyone here try the Sitka Cloudburst yet?

FURMAN

WKR
I know a lot of you are moving to Kuiu but has anyone tried the Cloudburst out yet? If so what do you think?

Unless you can get the sitka cloudburst on a good discount you are way better off going with the kuiu. I was looking at their new dewpoint but Sitka and I had a little issue arise so I went to kuiu. THe best piece of gear I have purchased so far is the kuiu chugach jacket. I fought the expensive rain gear thing for awhile but now that I have it, I love it. I use it in the early season all the time alone as a jacket and with the spindrift will get me through sept just fine. Another option that might be worth it price wise is highmountain outfitter has some of the sitka stormfront lite on clearence if they have your size its a killer deal. http://www.high-mountain-outfitters.com/Sitka-Gear-Stormfront-Lite-Jacket-SLJ.htm they have the pants as well I think

I haven't seen the "Cloudburst" specifically, but I do have the "Dewpoint" in inventory. I'm not sure if the are constructed of the same cloth or not (might call Sitka and check) but they appear to be pretty close. Generally they are both similar to the old Stormfront Lite in that they are made of Gore-Tex Paclite. However, the face fabric is considerably different from the old SF Lite. Speaking just for the Dewpoint, it appears to be built of a more robust fabric than the old Stormfront Lite. It has a slight stiffer, slicker "feel" as well as the addition of rip-stop threads. The DWR treatment also seems to bead water a little better than the SF Lite, at least when new. Obviously I haven't had a chance to really wring it out yet, but it will undoubtedly see some weather before the end of the year, so take these comments with that in mind.

Cut of the Dewpoint is fairly trim like most Sitka stuff. I can layer under it no problem, but there certainly isn't any "extra" fabric. Length falls just below the waist, so really tall guys might find it short. The hood fits me well (I don't care for most mountain gear companies "helmet compatible" hoods) Suspect the Cloudburst would be similar. One neat feature I haven't seen before is a single zipper that works for both the side pockets and the pit zips. I would say that it's a good piece of kit, but value wise it's probably the most expensive Paclite I've ever seen.

Yk

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I had my mind made up on Chugach but they can not keep size large in stock. It is a little irritating since they usually seem to have plenty of the other sizes in stock. I do get a 40% discount on Sitka gear. I like the Sitka gear I already have(have not worn any of it in hunting conditions yet). I did talk to Sitka. The guy I talked to told me that they are "simplifying" things and basically they had two types of rain materials. The one used in the Dewpoint and the one used in the others. He said the Dewpoint would definitely breath better but the other material would be more durable in the brush. I believe I'm just going to try it. I guess if I am not happy with it I can hopefully get my money out of it selling it. Yellowknife would you stick with your regular size for the rain gear or size up? I saw a overview of the Dewpoint on Youtube and that guy said it was slightly larger than the non rain gear so wearing over other gear would be fine with your regular size. Thanks.

If they are down to two materials, they will be the Paclite used in the Dewpoint and Cloudburst and the three layer Performance used in the Stormfront series. If that was the case, it seems like they should charge less for the Dewpoint, since it it "less featured".

Sitka raingear is cut to layer over moderate insulation. I wear my normal size and can put a fleece or light primaloft jacket under it. If you are expecting to layer more than that, say for sitting in stands or or really cold weather, then I would size up. It is a slight stretch fabric, so you don't need to oversize to move like you might with the Stormfront.

Yk

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I asked if the Dewpoint or the Cloudburst was Paclite he said no. He said polyester or nylon depending on which garment(I know that is what Paclite is made of). He said the rainproof rating was 28000 mm but would not give a breathabilty rating. I plan on wearing this, if needed, over my Jetstream vest and or jacket. Thanks again.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I am not a clothing expert but from what I gathered they are still using the same face with new 2nd and 3rd layers. Maybe someone who knows more could comment.

I asked if the Dewpoint or the Cloudburst was Paclite he said no. He said polyester or nylon depending on which garment(I know that is what Paclite is made of). He said the rainproof rating was 28000 mm but would not give a breathabilty rating. I plan on wearing this, if needed, over my Jetstream vest and or jacket. Thanks again.

I think the guy was confused. This is what Sitka told me:

"Thanks for contacting us. The Dew Point is an upgrade of the Stormfront
Lite series. Still incorporating Gore-tex Paclite it has a more durable
face fabric and weighs the same."

It also looks, smells, and acts like Paclite. I don't have the tags anymore, but unless it some kind of new secret type of Gore-Tex that just happens to look exactly like Paclite....

I real life, it's a couple oz lighter than the old Lite series.

Yk

I think the guy was confused. This is what Sitka told me:

"Thanks for contacting us. The Dew Point is an upgrade of the Stormfront
Lite series. Still incorporating Gore-tex Paclite it has a more durable
face fabric and weighs the same."

It also looks, smells, and acts like Paclite. I don't have the tags anymore, but unless it some kind of new secret type of Gore-Tex that just happens to look exactly like Paclite....

I real life, it's a couple oz lighter than the old Lite series.

Yk

Ok, now I'm confused. Gore-Tex (who owns Sitka) actually says it's "Performance". http://www.gore-tex.com/product/sitka-dewpoint-jacket/1337454192837/

However, it LOOKS like the charcoal gray inner of the paclite. I will round up some Paclite cloth tonight, and try and do some more direct comparisons.

Yk

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Apparently someone at Sitka is too. The Sitka site used to say the stormfront was performance shell now it says Gore-Tex fabric. Either way I think I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully I'll have a report at the end of September.