Anyone from Montgomery Alabama?

Mikedr

WKR
I’m in the service and got orders to Montgomery Alabama next summer. I can’t say that I’m thrilled about the location. I’m a PNW fella and wanted to return closer to home. But, that’s not the way the military works.

Anyways, I’m wondering if anyone lives nearby and I’m trying to get a pulse on the public land hunting there. I see a few WMA’s in the state but I would imagine they’re covered in hunters. I’m mainly looking to archery whitetail hunt. I know the easiest way is to join a club or lease but thats not my style. If that’s the best option, I’d do it though.

How bad (hunter pressure) are the WMAs to hunt?
Is it worth getting a lease?
If you own property nearby, I’ll work or pay for access!

Yarak

WKR
Im not from there but live about 2.5 hrs from there and I can tell you that your lack of enthusiasm is spot on
Montgomery is the toilet bowl of Alabama and Birmingham is the flush handle
Better get to know folks and let them learn to trust you before you ask about hunting spots on wma's
Be very wary about hunting clubs bc there are plenty with a reputation for changing rules to keep you from being successful, having no deer or just being outright assholes once you give them money

OP
Mikedr

Mikedr

WKR
Im not from there but live about 2.5 hrs from there and I can tell you that your lack of enthusiasm is spot on
Montgomery is the toilet bowl of Alabama and Birmingham is the flush handle
Better get to know folks and let them learn to trust you before you ask about hunting spots on wma's
Be very wary about hunting clubs bc there are plenty with a reputation for changing rules to keep you from being successful, having no deer or just being outright assholes once you give them money
I haven’t heard many great things about the area but I’m hoping to live outside of the city and make the best of it. Thanks for the heads up on the hunting clubs. I’ve never joined one and this makes me never want to join one. I’m not wanting to know anyone hunting spot, just wanted to know if the wmas are loaded with hunters. I’m guessing with the limited public land that they are. Maybe I’ll just take a trip out west every year

Yarak

WKR
Not saying there arent good people around that area I'm just giving you a heads up on what to look for
Clubs are a different thing altogether
Ive been here most of my life and only joined 2 and the first was all that I described
WMA's you will be better off to talk to the biologist or warden that is over the wma you're wanting to hunt
What part of PNW are you from ?
Got some good friends in WA

OP
Mikedr

Mikedr

WKR
Not saying there arent good people around that area I'm just giving you a heads up on what to look for
Clubs are a different thing altogether
Ive been here most of my life and only joined 2 and the first was all that I described
WMA's you will be better off to talk to the biologist or warden that is over the wma you're wanting to hunt
What part of PNW are you from ?
Got some good friends in WA
Originally from Roseburg Oregon and currently in Florida. But I’ve been living all over from Alaska to Florida the last 20 years. I lived in port angeles wa for a bit. I’m heading back next month to hunt with my dad. It’ll be good to get some time in the woods with the old man.

ChrisAU

WKR
Haven’t lived in Montgomery but have spent a lot of time there and around there. North of Montgomery and Wetumpka is fine whitetail hunting but is all private. Killed my first decent whitetail buck there 10 years ago. I’ve hunted Tuskegee NF some while in college at Auburn and it was a zoo, but that was during rifle season. I’d be willing to bet that archery wouldn’t be that bad as most people who are serious about archery will have access to private land and those relegated to public only here are going to definitely be more likely to be rifle only types. I know there are actually good public WMAs up north but I haven’t hunted them.

My family has property near the Tuskegee National Forest and that area is considered part of the Black Belt. Good soil and great white-tail hunting. Big deer potential. Clubs can be very political and in general I think you get what you pay for. Lot of Timber company land between the Gump and Phenix City where our place is.

I'd check out the Southern Outdoorsman Podcast. They're based in B-ham and do a lot of WMA and NF hunting for deer and turkeys. I'd also check out the Tuskegee NF. If your schedule will allow for it, I'd try and deer hunt in the middle of the week. There are also several Special Opportunity Areas of various size in the state that are Lottery Hunts. They all vary in size and are managed for quality deer with antler restrictions, etc. Uchee Creek SOA is about 6500 acres and borders our place in Russell County.

I hunt the Sumter National Forest here in SC and have found that mid-week is the best time to avoid crowds and pressure is very limited during Bow Season. I would imagine the same holds true for Tuskegee.

The cool thing about deer hunting in Alabama is that you can potentially hunt the Rut from late November to February in various areas of the state.

One thing I forgot to add is that you’re not too far away from Fort Benning. Huge base that is both in Alabama but mostly GA. Definitely hunting opportunities there for sure. Some of it borders the Chattahoochee River. Deer, pigs galore. Opportunity for some good wood duck shooting as well, potentially teal, gadwall and some other big ducks.

I’d check out hunting on Benning. Think that would be a hidden gem and within a 1.5 hour drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mikedr

Mikedr

WKR
My family has property near the Tuskegee National Forest and that area is considered part of the Black Belt. Good soil and great white-tail hunting. Big deer potential. Clubs can be very political and in general I think you get what you pay for. Lot of Timber company land between the Gump and Phenix City where our place is.

I'd check out the Southern Outdoorsman Podcast. They're based in B-ham and do a lot of WMA and NF hunting for deer and turkeys. I'd also check out the Tuskegee NF. If your schedule will allow for it, I'd try and deer hunt in the middle of the week. There are also several Special Opportunity Areas of various size in the state that are Lottery Hunts. They all vary in size and are managed for quality deer with antler restrictions, etc. Uchee Creek SOA is about 6500 acres and borders our place in Russell County.

I hunt the Sumter National Forest here in SC and have found that mid-week is the best time to avoid crowds and pressure is very limited during Bow Season. I would imagine the same holds true for Tuskegee.

The cool thing about deer hunting in Alabama is that you can potentially hunt the Rut from late November to February in various areas of the state.
I’ll check out that podcast. I like the long hunting season! Do they open up timber land to the public or do the companies keep those locked up?

FLATHEAD

WKR
Timber companies usually have their land lea$ed.
I think they may have websites showing available leases.
And the Outdooralabama website has a link,,,,,,I think.

As FLATHEAD said they generally are already leased. Not open like you’re used to in PNW.

Honestly, since you’re military, I’d really check out hunting Benning. Lot of land and I know that they open up large sections to hunt.

About 10-15 yrs ago they were paying $50 per hog killed around the air field and never made a dent in the population.

Hell, Gordon Ramsay filmed an episode there shooting pigs and cooking them for the soldiers!

FLATHEAD

WKR
I remember back in the day I'd pay 20 bucks for a permit to
hunt paper/timber co. land anywhere in the state. Good times.
I'm getting old.

One thing I forgot to add is that you’re not too far away from Fort Benning. Huge base that is both in Alabama but mostly GA. Definitely hunting opportunities there for sure. Some of it borders the Chattahoochee River. Deer, pigs galore. Opportunity for some good wood duck shooting as well, potentially teal, gadwall and some other big ducks.

I’d check out hunting on Benning. Think that would be a hidden gem and within a 1.5 hour drive

I’m not military but live in GA and would have to agree with @dr.mooseknuckles here. Ft. Benning likely has on base land & wildlife management staff, and hunting access is probably limited to military personnel. Recommend research & contact them if possible, and base is located easily I believe from I-85 and I-185. Also, plenty of hotels, lodging, eats, etc. close by in Columbus. Deer clubs in AL & GA are numerous, popular, & can be productive but can also be expensive, very cliquish, rule laden, & political. Don’t necessarily expect a warm welcome for new club members, unfortunately .

OP
Mikedr

Mikedr

WKR
Thanks everyone for the input in this thread and with PMs. Lots of good info and you’ve all been very helpful.

You bet! I wouldn't be too glum about it! Really good hunting opportunities if you can find it. I like hunting National Forest as I can roam relatively freely.

Haven't hunted any of the ones in Bama, but know there's lots of potential. I'd be interested to see what you find out about Benning. If I was in your shoes, I'd definitely check it out. I knew of some civilians who hunted it when I was in high school and had some good success.

Regardless of where you hunt, I'd look at getting a mobile deer stand set up. I'd think a Summit Viper (or other Summit set up depending on your size) would get you into 85% of the trees in the area and you'd be relatively comfortable. Also check out a tree saddle if you want to be a cool guy. I use both a Viper and Tethrd set up and usually use my saddle, even on our property where we've got numerous permanent stands.

Good luck!