Anyone ever tried this?

Gwoodak

FNG
I've had some success using a tall survey stake with a white ribbon tied to it placed in the middle of a field while hunting Antelope in Montana. Not a sure thing by any means but it worked on a few occasions. The antelope would get curious (or territorial) and walk up to the stake to investigate and then we would shoot them from our hay bale blind. I'm not sure why some did and some didn't but we ended up shooting two speedgoats in a couple of years using this tactic on a friends ranch. Anyone ever tried this with sheep? I've heard of guys using whites as decoys but I wonder if placing a stake in the middle of a grazing area would peak their curiosity, or send them running for the ridge tops. My wife and I will be hiking crow pass this weekend and there have been reports of a billy hanging near the trail/campground so perhaps I'll give it a try on him and see what his reaction is (Don't freak out on me.....I know it's not hunting season yet:p)

Crow pass goat will be indifferent to your trials but y.ou should definitely try that flagging technique on your sheep hunt.

For late season sheep hunts guys will use ewe decoys, which apparently attract as many ewes as rams. (Heard of this for the Cadomin hunt specifically). Might be a strategy in any season in areas that border non hunting areas.

Back