Anyone ever hit a deer on the long drive west to hunt?

If so, how did you handle getting back to home or out to the mountains to hunt? I hit a deer with my truck like 3 months ago and it was in the shop for a week and $4000 later I got it back. That would really suck to happen while making the trip out west.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a bigger truck? Only hit one deer and that was with my F250, the deer went right under it after taking out my license plate then left a nasty smear from when it got stuck under my trailer.

Hitting moose on the other I do not recommend. Tried that out when I was 19 in a 2wd F150 and it totaled that poor truck out. :(

jmez

WKR
Bigger truck doesn't always help. To quote the manager at the body shop, "Exactly how fast do you need to be going when you hit a deer to bend the frame on a 3/4 ton pickup?"

i was heading back to elk camp late after work on a fri night and it was snowy and icey, doing about 55 and theres a huge bull in the middle of the road, split second decision that i really did like my truck and had pitch sideways to get around him

bbrown

WKR
Many many close calls but not yet - KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!! Although I did total 2 trucks last year during hunting season - '06 Tacoma and an '07 Tundra. It was a rough year for Toyotas - and before anyone asks neither were my fault.

jmez

WKR
About 90 miles an hour, T bone a mature buck just off center of the license plate. It will also push your bumper back into your tire and deflate and ruin a tire.

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
One time in college I went home to deer hunt on the last weekend and when I was driving home that night I hit a small buck. Felt pretty bad that that deer survived 2 weeks of rifle season and then got killed by my car only about 2 hours after season closed...