Anyone else hunt Solo their first elk hunt?

R_burg

WKR
Hey All,

Been compiling gear and reading as much as possible trying to plan my 2017 Elk hunt which will also be my first ever out west hunt. Being from NY it is kind of hard to find someone that wants to spend their week vacation sleeping on a mountain side. Have any other members gone solo on their first hunt? If so any tips and reassurances? I really want to go, but also spending a week solo and also with a possible pack out seems pretty daunting.

BK

Do you hunt already? Do you hunt whitetails upstate or anything along those lines?

It may not be a bad idea to do some trips on your own before going out west. Just to get used to being by yourself and get your gear right. Hate to get up on the mountain out west and realize you don't like being on your own or your gear is lacking. Just a thought.

If you are a total city boy, then you might take some time to find a tree in NY somewhere and get close to it and smell it.
lol
But I sense you are not a simple city slicker.... So with that said, approach this as an adventure and not just a hunt.
You will be spending tons of $$ so get everything you can out of it.
Its a hunt, camping trip, hiking adventure, photo op, vacation all into one great event.

You can be prepared and watch all the vids on gutting, quartering, hauling, but until you do it, you will have anxieties.
Pre set your tent and sleep outside and fire up your stove, air up your mattress and get that part under your belt.

Then hit the hills and enjoy what you worked so hard all year for

R_burg

WKR
Yes I have been hunting here in NY for the past 14 years.

Great. As someone that grew up in Upstate NY and now live out West, I think its very important you hunt already.

Second thing I would say is start hiking and camping with all your gear if you dont already. Spend as much time upstate in the Adirondacks or Vermont as you plan on spending out West.

Third thing is dont expect to have any success. Your hunting know-how definitely helps, but its still much different hunting out here. Especially for Elk.

2blade

WKR
I've live out west and go every year... alone. I pretty much truck camp and will make mile or two loops, no elk in the area move to another spot. But you would be amazed at how many hunters walk right by em going in deep in search of the holy grail. Bull tags are hard to come by so most years are for cows and spikes but I don't care, I like the alone time in the hills. If I had waited for someone to go with, I would have never ever went... except for last year, went with 2 other guys. All the other hunters in the area were going way back in every day, all 3 of us killed elk within a half mile of camp. If you want to do it just do it, the ole bod only so many years before you can't do it anymore.

Both my trips were solo and I killed bull elk both times. Solo gives you the highest odds of killing and being overwhelmed at the same time. When I went I didn't have anything except a sleeping bag and compass. I truck camped and purchased maps after I got there. I did some google earth scouting before I left and had several spots picked out and one payed off.

One thing that concerns me about any first time hunter with plans to hunt high altitude is altitude sickness. That is the good thing about truck camping is you can come down for a while and get it under control. Truck camping allows for more versatility in changing areas and finding elk. An aggressive truck camper going in 2 or 3 miles will often be in the gap between the spike camp guys and the less mobile truck campers. Once you find the elk then it might be advantageous to go in and camp closer to them.

Lastly I really can't see anyone wanting to pack out an elk solo from over 3 miles deep if the weather is warm. If it's cold then you will have several days to get one out but warm temperatures only allow for a couple of days packing before spoiling and the hat is considering you have a cooler with ice ready for the meat. If you have to take a half a day to go into town and get ice then good luck. Packers are not always on standby zap you cannot count on them.

Hall256

WKR
For the East Coast guys on this post, there are not many nor are they as vast, but try to find some wilderness areas out here and go for a few trips in there. My friend and I have been doing that and it is eye opening for gear considerations and other things. I think I have talked with a few of you in another thread, but Virginia has some great Wildlife Management Areas and so does Kentucky and Tennessee. If the Marines do not keep me too busy next year with training I will be doing a few backpack hunts and am always looking for other hunting partners that don't mind packing in on there feet vice driving a 4x4 to a treestand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR

Well sort of...and its kind of a funny memory. I drove out solo to hunt with a guy I had never met- my sisters boyfriends friend. I drive up to the house where he is staying with another family renting a room. I had driven straight through 16 hours. This good looking babe that is all primped up answers the door and I was a bit caught off guard. Then I was really caught off guard when she says, "You must be Bruce"....and reaches down and cups my nuts.

One of the few times in my life I was without words. Of course the guy I was to hunt with Kirk was standing right behind her laughing his azz off...but I had never met the guy or seen a photo so heck I didn't know. This was before Facebook, the internet and cell phones were the size of a suitcase. Kirk and I have killed over 50 bull elk with bows together and we are still close friends to this day. Thx for reminding me of that....

Beendare

WKR
I should say, i've done many solo out of state hunts...and I highly recommend it.

Not only do you learn a lot about hunting...but you learn a lot about yourself. Its a bit unnerving for some...but after a couple days you get in a rhythm, pushing yourself....with all of your senses active, alert, aware..........its a cool feeling and one you just don't get much in day to day life.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All,

Been compiling gear and reading as much as possible trying to plan my 2017 Elk hunt which will also be my first ever out west hunt. Being from NY it is kind of hard to find someone that wants to spend their week vacation sleeping on a mountain side. Have any other members gone solo on their first hunt? If so any tips and reassurances? I really want to go, but also spending a week solo and also with a possible pack out seems pretty daunting.

BK

I went solo on my first elk hunt (archery). It was great. I used to do a decent amount of backcountry fishing so I had the camping experience and a good amount of the gear. I ended up seeing a fair number of elk, a couple bulls. Nothing closer than 150 yards though so not even close to a shot opportunity. Mentally draining. Of course I picked one of the most rugged wilderness areas in CO for my first time. Definitely bring a Delorme Inreach or something comparable. I would also break my hunt into 3 day blocks. Your pack will be much lighter (less food) and you can recharge, get a meal, drive into town in between. ?'s shoot me a message.

Mitchb

FNG
I am in a similar situation and agree with Jim bob. Get out and camp and backpack as much as you can to test your gear and conditioning well before season. That way you will have less to worry about and can decide if solo will work for you. Also if it is just a weekend or local trip you can go in crappy conditions to test your shelter and mind and not have a big issue if you have to bail. (But use common sense and be safe)

pbcarch

WKR
BK,
thanks for starting this post, i am going to following this thread religiously. I am from NJ and plan out heading out west myself but i will have a buddy with me (he has never been out west either). There is soo much to learn about living out in the woods for an entire week wiht no contact with humanity, i hope ;-)
We most definitely will be driving out to CO...thats one long drive. Not sure if i will make it out in 2017 with kids going to college but never to soon to start learning , gathering gear and testing. I have been reading all kinds of books, internet research, viewing maps, migration patterns, statistics etc...it's becoming a part time job.
Can anyone give us a very simple list of basic things to start with? perhaps you can give us East Coasters some "lessons learned" tips?

Brendan

WKR
I've gone 3 times, twice solo from Boston, MA. Montana twice, Wyoming once, driving both times by myself.

One thing I can say - take two weeks if you can. I'm 2 for 3, and both Elk were killed on day 11.

A pack out is no joke, but doable in 3 trips solo if you're in in shape.

Check out the gritty bowmen episode on meat care and be prepared to get an Elk broken down and cooled down fast. I wouldn't want to rely on a packer so would be prepared to take care of any kill myself.

Year 4 coming up for me, but I may have two partners - that'll be new for me...

ChrisS

WKR
Can anyone give us a very simple list of basic things to start with? perhaps you can give us East Coasters some "lessons learned" tips?

Part I is linked, you should be able to find Part II and III. Plus there are other articles under the tips and tactics header.

East to West: Planning Your First Backpack Hunt

On top of that, there is Elk University from Corey Jacobson. It's definitely worth the money.

Last edited:

Tex68w

WKR

Well sort of...and its kind of a funny memory. I drove out solo to hunt with a guy I had never met- my sisters boyfriends friend. I drive up to the house where he is staying with another family renting a room. I had driven straight through 16 hours. This good looking babe that is all primped up answers the door and I was a bit caught off guard. Then I was really caught off guard when she says, "You must be Bruce"....and reaches down and cups my nuts.

One of the few times in my life I was without words. Of course the guy I was to hunt with Kirk was standing right behind her laughing his azz off...but I had never met the guy or seen a photo so heck I didn't know. This was before Facebook, the internet and cell phones were the size of a suitcase. Kirk and I have killed over 50 bull elk with bows together and we are still close friends to this day. Thx for reminding me of that....

Haha, thanks for the laugh. That sounds like something my buddy would do.

Zbot

WKR
I always hunt solo and love it. Just packed out an elk solo last month.

Just be careful and you will be fine.