Anyone else have a buddy bail at the last minute? (CO Archery Elk 2024)

Smtn10pt

Lil-Rokslider
If you guys are planning an OTC elk hunt with a group of friends that you are relying on make them buy the tag when you start your planning. Its easy to say oh yeah I'll go and get my tag when im out there. Just forking out that tag fee will eliminate alot of guys up front.

Dogone

FNG
I ended up hunting alone most of my life. Got real old spending a week in moose camp with drunks. They all seemed to feel it was just part of hunting. Had a lot of great solo hunts.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I have put together some joint trips including to hunt. My rules: We agree on the total estimated SHARED costs for the group size which says they are going. This is months prior to the trip. 100% is due within 14 days at that point. No refunds. Say is six of us. Housing, food, private land access, fuel, lodging on the drive, rental vehicle and trailer, etc etc. Tags, ammo, etc not part of this as each person will cover that themselves. Okay, say is 7 days hunting with 4 days transit in total with 2 motel nights. Say that is $12,000 split 6 ways so $1,000 is due as commit then $1,000 due in 14 days.

No refund of the initial $1,000 if fail to come up with the other $1,000 by end of Day 14. No exceptions no matter what including job loss, changed your mind, spouse is pregnant or you break a leg. Fail to come up with the second $1,000 then are out of the trip.

I find this harsh reality on Day 1 eliminates the "oh, dude, I am so in and we are going to have a blast" tire-kicker from the adults in the room that do not move their lips unless are serious about the adventure.

Is a lot of work to be the organizer and I will not get stuck picking up a penny of someone else's cost that arose when they failed to come through. By being harsh and allowing for no exceptions then I do not have to hold "court" deciding if those still going should pay more just because something came up involving one of us which is serious (cancer diagnosis) vs not (new girlfriend or decided to buy a new toy). Organizing, holding court for exceptions/refunds, dealing with allocating additional cost to remaining guys...that is just not happening on my watch and absolutely it might otherwise days before the adventure is to start.

$2,000 is an example with several adventures being many times that amount.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Had a friend bail on a hunt I drew a sweet tag for but only because he also ended up drawing a bison tag with the exact same hunt dates. We are both stoked for each other but bummed we can’t go on each others hunts.

Mojave

WKR
Invite whoever. Plan like a solo trip.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk
This really is it.

I was talking to my dad about his own demise while we were hunting a few years ago.

He said if you find out I am dead while you are hunting, keep hunting. That is what freezers are for.

If something happened to my wife or kids that would be different.

I ama. solo hunter for a reason.

I do like group hunts. Especially where the groups aren't family groups. This is a very common thing here in Europe, you sign up to be part of a group. Hell of a deal, never really had a bad experience.

Choose your hunting partners wisely. Seems that some guys say they want to hunt hard and be successful but not willing to put the work in when the rubber meets the road. I've had a few flakes in my camp over the years that I've had to weed out.

cusecat04

FNG
I've found this in more than just hunting trips....
We have a good friend that is the first to commit to doing something and then bail at the last minute.
Running joke that it will happen, love the guy but would never plan anything important around him showing up.

A different buddy is on the other end of the spectrum.
He has other commitments and weighs things out before signing up but once he's in it's solid.

It almost seems some of this flakiness is attributed to social media usage, the flip flip flopper is fully connected all the time.

You can guess which one will get the call when Sh!t get's western.

bruno747

FNG
One load at a time.
This. It can suck too.

I have passed on shots when I was concerned the weather wouldn't be right to get things out before they spoil if I am too far back knowing its going to be 3-5 trips on a large bull by myself. Luckily I have a few friends that often come help pack things out on short notice if I am really far out there. They don't hunt but enjoy backpacking. Satellite capable GPS like the garmin 66i saves a huge amount of time, I can ping those friends right after the animal is down.

On to the subject at hand, I have had people bail on me for trips more than they have actually shown up. Even on simple day trips to the range. At this point I just assume I am always solo. I would love to get in on a drop camp or outfitter, but I have zero trust any of the people I know that "would go with me" would actually go through with it and Id be stuck with a massive outfitter bill or canceled trip and wasted tag.

I went solo quite a bit. Eventually the kids got a little older and my wife could start coming with me. Best partner in the world. Always optimistic never wants to shoot the animal or take others to our spots.

She's almost the only one that will go with me into the back country

The worst are the weak flakes that bailout halfway through a hunt because they aren't seeing game right away or can't hack the challenge because they're stupidly out of shape. I no longer have those kinds of friends/hunting buddies and my life is so much richer for it.

TxLite

WKR
I had a groomsman do that the day before a tuna trip post-wedding bachelor party. Everyone remaining on the trip had cover the additional costs associated with being a man down. Haven't talked to him since.

I’ve hunted with the same three buddies in the west 32 of the last 35 years. We split the cost of the entire trip exactly 4 ways. We’ve been very successful and taken several really good bulls and bucks. If anyone tags out nobody hunts until all the meat is out. Once tagged out that person helps with spotting, meat hauling, etc. all camp chores are evenly split as well with each person doing is thing. One guy is an exception cook and does it all. One guy is responsible for cutting all the firewood and hauling water(me). We’re a well oiled machine. We all work/worked in diverse fields. I’ve always done It, one is Licensed electrituon, one a plumber and one a lineman for ATT. Between the 4 of use we’ve recovered from everything thrown at us. Luckily all our wife’s, kids and lifestyles are very compatible. These guys are better than money. If they say they’re going you can count on it. A couple years I had scheduling issues and didn’t buy a tag early for fear of not making the trip. To keep my word and the group functioning, I didn’t drive out, but flew out the day they arrived and flew back the day they left and did camp chores and no hunting. It’s a two day drive each way so I save 4 days. Having friends like these has been great and enabled me to hunt at times and in places I could never have hunted on my own. I feel extremely lucky for myself. But terrible for those of you who haven’t been as lucky. All the best this season whoever you hunt with and however you hunt.

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
The worst are the weak flakes that bailout halfway through a hunt because they aren't seeing game right away or can't hack the challenge because they're stupidly out of shape.
I just returned from a solo mule deer hunt. Your statement is so true. I have buddies I would’ve enjoyed being on the mountain with until things got hard. Then they would’ve just been a downer the rest of the time. I had 2 guys I actually invited and probably 6 that said they would love to go with me. My 2 buddies couldn’t make it and I knew the 6 that volunteered wouldn’t have the mental strength to stay in the hunt when things got hard. The good thing about going solo is it’s all up to you. Nobody to hold you back and nobody to keep you moving.

FNG
Yes I had a partner bail on a moose hunt with 3 weeks notice. I always have a plan B because people are so unreliable. Any way switched my holidays so Sitka blacktail hunting during the rut it is. Always have a plan B and C if possible.

Ate a Colorado otc elk tag a couple years ago from a guy bailing. Won’t ever hunt with him again.
Sorry to read this post. Bummer. I always plan solo trips/hunts but I am not against hunting with like-minded hard workers. . I am too old to babysit on the side of the mountain and I sure as hell don’t depend on unreliable people. Life is too short! Happy and safe hunting this fall, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Scott7030

FNG
Just over a week until I leave. 2 out of 3 are good to go. The 3rd guys is still on the fence. No skin off my back but, I have had guys bail on other trips the day before. He still owned up to the money for the rooms I had booked.