Anyone else have a buddy bail at the last minute? (CO Archery Elk 2024)

wgonfan

FNG
Had planned an archery OTC Colorado elk hunt this year and was just informed that my BIL is no longer able to go. Anyone else in the same boat?

TheHammer

WKR
Last minute would be while waiting for them to show up so you can leave to head out… that’s what happened to me 3 years ago, we were buds since the 2nd grade, haven’t talked to him much since then…you are better off solo, imo. Plus you have plenty of time to figure this out. Hunting one of the last otc opportunities, I’m sure there are going to be plenty of other guys you will run into. Maybe one of them will be your friend and you can call or glass with them…

SloppyJ

WKR
Been planning my first elk trip with my buddy for over a year. I got it setup with an outfitter and when it came time to put down a deposit he flaked.

I'll give him some grace because they're going through IVF and finishing a house but the timeline has always been clear.

Same issue I have. Or they're interested, but then only want to do a day hunt.

I'm a day hunter wanting to branch out into backpack hunting and 1-3 nights. No one I know wants to do that. Likely due to my occupation and the type of nerds I'm surrounded by. 🤣

I had a guy lie to me several times about sending his deposit check to an Alaskan moose outfitter. I looked like a fool when I spoke with the outfitter. I was done with that guy who lied to me. Disappointing because I had hunted in Texas with him a couple of times and knew his uncle well who was my State Senator.

I then met another moose hunter here on Rokslide who took his place on the hunt. Long story short, we both went up and hunted moose in Alaska and killed 50+ inch bulls in less than 4 days. Things eventually work out.

I don’t tolerate people who lie or lazy individuals. Life is too damn short for that. Good luck with your planning and hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I had a buddy flake on me two weeks before it was time to leave. I like hunting alone so while I was upset about him flaking on me, it didn't stop me from going. Sooo - I went to a new spot for me - OTC Colorado Wilderness area - and shot my first bull 4 miles in. It was awesome and yes - a little piece of me got some extra special enjoyment in showing the guy that flaked the pictures!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always plan solo trips, but if someone is planning on going with me it will still be a solo trip if they aren't on time. And everybody that knows me, already knows that if they aren't early.......they're late.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. Where I come from flaking is an art form. So is desperate need to over share on social media (evidence of the BS excuse for flaking).
Planned a moose trip to NL for months w/ a guy and he bailed 2 weeks out w/ an excuse of a surprise birthday party for his aging Mother. Wanted me to try and get his deposit back!
Needless to say, I went solo and had a great trip.
The guy sharing our cabin got the cancellation w/ a discount provided by the bailer. He also had a great trip.
My buddy? Not sure if that Oktoberfest shindig he had to post instead of hunting was as fun....

rayporter

WKR
happened to me. bud called the night before and cancelled. i went anyway.

always be ready to go it alone. if you have a trustworthy pal that likes to go, you are blessed.

OP
W

wgonfan

FNG
Last minute would be while waiting for them to show up so you can leave to head out… that’s what happened to me 3 years ago, we were buds since the 2nd grade, haven’t talked to him much since then…you are better off solo, imo. Plus you have plenty of time to figure this out. Hunting one of the last otc opportunities, I’m sure there are going to be plenty of other guys you will run into. Maybe one of them will be your friend and you can call or glass with them…

Man, that is rough. Thanks for providing that perspective.
I always knew in the back of my head there was a chance he would flake short notice. This would had been the 3rd trip out and I know how the lack of success can take the wind out of the sail for some people but I'm the opposite.

You guys who have ended up going solo, how do you manage the pack out?

EdP

WKR
Never had a buddy back out at the last minute but I had one who showed up sick for the 3 hunts we did together. He worked in a hospital and picked up everything going around. I figured he was past that after he retired and was looking forward to a MD hunt we had planned when he died from a stroke 6 week before the hunt. Kudos to the outfitter who gave a full refund to his widow.

TheHammer

WKR
Man, that is rough. Thanks for providing that perspective.
I always knew in the back of my head there was a chance he would flake short notice. This would had been the 3rd trip out and I know how the lack of success can take the wind out of the sail for some people but I'm the opposite.

You guys who have ended up going solo, how do you manage the pack out?
Plenty of guy’s out there willing to help. There’s a handful of threads in here addressing getting ready for elk season. If you click on someone’s profile you should beable to see their post history. On mine I’ve commented on as many health oriented posts I can find.