Anybody use a stove with their mountain smith tarp?

Jordan guyer

Lil-Rokslider
Just got the mountain smith tarp seen a post on here where one guy sent his into bear paw and had them put in a stove jack. Anyone have any luck with this?

Mike7

WKR
I have had bearpaw put a stove jack in a shelter before (Big Agnes, not Mountain Smith) and it works just fine. It will add a little wt to the shelter that you will be carrying all of the time, as these jacks are not removable.

A couple of things to be careful of or things I have learned:
1) really think about where you want it as far as loading of stove, being out of the way of movement in/out of the shelter or for gear placement in the shelter, for the stove to be far enough away from the walls, etc.
2) also before you start cutting the hole in the jack for the pipe, think about keeping the hot pipe away from your inner shelter walls when the shelter is sagging a little on a moist morning. I prefer to cut the stove pipe hole off center toward the upper side of the jack a fair amount to keep it away from the inner wall below the jack. Also, the hole will not be completely round, but instead eliptical because of the angle that it contacts the shelter...start smaller than needed and slowly cut hole larger as needed.