Anybody tried Big Agnes Lost Ranger UL 3N1

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Just checking if anybody has bought and tried their new lost ranger sleep system and can give the opinions on it?

The system intrigues me and seems like a lot of comfort at very low weight.

I use a marmot helium on a pad on my backcountry hunts. I sleep pretty warm but toss and turn and mainly I am a side sleeper. Just looking for something different to be more comfortable.

AkRyan

WKR
They just released them so chances are nobody has used one yet. Im going with the non ul model.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
They just released them so chances are nobody has used one yet. Im going with the non ul model.
Yeah I got you. Well maybe you can just write a reply here once you gotten to try yours out? I believe the difference between the two is the downfill but obviously the design is the same.

From your name I assume you live in AK. I'm down in southeast but do a trip up north pretty much every year. So I was hoping to be able to use the inner bags on its own early season and then bring both bags later on in the season.

My one worry is cold coming from the bottom. So I am not sure I'd one needs a pad with high r-value to compensate that.b

AkRyan

WKR
Yeah I got you. Well maybe you can just write a reply here once you gotten to try yours out? I believe the difference between the two is the downfill but obviously the design is the same.

From your name I assume you live in AK. I'm down in southeast but do a trip up north pretty much every year. So I was hoping to be able to use the inner bags on its own early season and then bring both bags later on in the season.

My one worry is cold coming from the bottom. So I am not sure I'd one needs a pad with high r-value to compensate that.b
The pad isn't included so you can pick what you like best. BA makes some really nice pads also. I have a insulated q core that I absolutely love. I'm in Alaska so this will be used from 60 to zero or below. The difference I think is the outer shell thickness. I prefer tougher than lighter as long as it's not over weight.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
The pad isn't included so you can pick what you like best. BA makes some really nice pads also. I have a insulated q core that I absolutely love. I'm in Alaska so this will be used from 60 to zero or below. The difference I think is the outer shell thickness. I prefer tougher than lighter as long as it's not over weight.
Ok sounds good. Yeah please write back on here with a mini review with what you think about.

Just to clarify, I'm in alaskabas well. Down on POW but make trips to the Alaska Range mainly.

Muzzprong

FNG
I’m interested in this system as well for a Alaska trip out of Kotzebue in early September. What’s your thoughts on a sleep system. If I don’t end up with the 3 in 1 it will probably be the Big Agnes 0* anvil horn with their pad or a thermarest.

AkRyan

WKR
I’m interested in this system as well for a Alaska trip out of Kotzebue in early September. What’s your thoughts on a sleep system. If I don’t end up with the 3 in 1 it will probably be the Big Agnes 0* anvil horn with their pad or a thermarest.
That's cold wet country so whatever you do bring provisions to get dry. I'm trying to get out to test this thing but my business has me swamped and I'm going to look at another location tomorrow so not looking good for me as far as free time.

Bater

WKR
I just ordered the 3N1 0° UL and will update after some use. The true test probably won’t come until October/November deer and elk

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered the 3N1 0° UL and will update after some use. The true test probably won’t come until October/November deer and elk
Thank you. Looking forward to your take on it. Seems like very versatile system. I haven pulled the trigger on it yet, I wanted to get some feedback first.

I just ordered the 15 degree UL. Cant wait. Probably should have saved the money and bought the normal as the weight increase is minimal.

Bater

WKR
I believe it’s 10 ounces diff for the 15° bags and closer to a pound for the 0°

I have the 0 degree version, paired with the Rapide SL pad. I’ve slept in it a couple nights at about 30 degrees, and a couple nights that got down to 20 degrees. The setup kept me warm, too warm at 30 degrees and I had to vent a bit. Perfectly comfortable at 20 degrees. If I had a gripe, it’s that the inner mummy bag doesn’t have a drawstring to adjust the hood.

I’ll answer any questions I can from my limited experience.

peaceman

Lil-Rokslider
I have one and used it about a week this year. I thought I would like it but the two zipper think is a hassle to me. The bag is light and it does attach to the pad which I like. Mine is a long version and I’m 6’2” and fits fine. It’s also roomy enough as I don’t like the tightness of a standard mummy. It is nice to have both bags along and keep one semi open when it’s not very cold outside. There is also a pillow barn that keep it secure if you use one. Would I buy it again? probably not. I’ve debated selling mine. I’ll make someone a good deal if they are interested (not trying to high jack the thread) and I’ll go back to my sierra designs bag with the arm holes in it. It’s gimmicky but I love the freedom it provides and makes grabbing a light, phone, pistol pretty handy.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
i just bought the non UL version from a website called the house for 50% off. i figured for around 200 dollars this is a sleep system worth trying. from what i pieced together initial reviewers had some issues with the zippers, and Big Agnes in general over (or under i guess) estumates temp ratings, so if this 0 degree bag funtions as a 15 degree bag, and i can get a bit more range out of it wearing my puffy layers and/or a liner bag, i think it'll work. worst case scenario, i'm out 200 instead of 600 and am OK with the extra pound ish in weight. my argali tent ships out next month so that's when the real testing will begin

Last edited:

Bater

WKR
I like my zero degree UL, it’s not quite as warm as I’d hoped for when temps hover around 0° during late deer/elk, but it’s very comfortable and feels a bit more like a bed. I feel it was worth it at the steep discount I got, but nowhere near worth full retail.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the updates, folks, keep 'em coming. I'm looking at this bag for next season.