Anybody Ditch the Bubble Level?

I shoot a lot from 100-1K and use a bubble level. I have one rifle with a scope that doesn't have a bubble level and honestly, it's nice to settle in and not have to be checking the bubble. For hunting distances, I'm starting to debate the value of the bubble level. I don't get in weird contorted positions in the field.

Anyone shoot without a bubble level?

No but having to glance at it does annoy me so on some of my hunts I'll be bringing an MDT Send-It now. That way I see the light color in my peripheral vision and don't have to look at it.

TaperPin

WKR
This is a good topic - many guys like me have lived with them just fine to moderate range, but going a little longer becomes more complicated. This summer I’m curious to test how far is too far to not have a level. There’s no doubt that a level rifle is essential way out there.

I bet the shooting style that barely puts the face and hands onto the stock requires a level the most, because there aren’t as many nerves inputs determining when things are good to go. I always have a moderate hold on the pistol grip and decent amount of pressure on the cheek piece so I naturally get a lot of feedback, if that’s enough to shoot 600 yards is yet to be seen, but that’s easy to test. I’m gathering a few parts to be able to temporarily put a digital angle finder on the rifle - without looking and shooting normally, a shooting buddy can say what the angle was as the shot breaks to 1/10th of a degree. I’m curious what kind of deviation can be felt, and kind of interested in seeing it’s effect on target at different ranges. Reading the error on a piece of paper doesn’t give my brain enough information to develop a feel for when a quick shot has to slowed down to make sure it’s level.

edit: After writing it out, using an angle finder seems a bit excessive. I’ll just use a scope mounted level this year and see how useful it is. Lol

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
I don’t see any reason I’d ditch the UM level. It’s basically 0 weight penalty and it’s not in the way at all.

taskswap

WKR
I've never shot WITH one, not that that's saying much since my typical range is <300yd. Curious here from folks who do use one - what ranges would you say it's really a good-to-have or must-have? I can't see it making any difference at all at 50-100yd. What about 200? 500 yes I assume?

Fire_9

WKR
If I was going to hunt out of a box blind to a max range of 3-400, I probably wouldn’t worry about it but I’m also of the opinion, why not? It doesn’t hinder you in any way.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv trained myself to look at it every shot.

Even on a rifle that dosnt have one I still find myself looking at where it would be.

No way I could get away with it shooting in different locations, from different positions.

Blue Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
I find one distracting but necessary for consistency. I'm hoping they get integrated some day, so it is part of the shooters FOV in the scope.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I've never shot WITH one, not that that's saying much since my typical range is <300yd. Curious here from folks who do use one - what ranges would you say it's really a good-to-have or must-have? I can't see it making any difference at all at 50-100yd. What about 200? 500 yes I assume?
I once found a calculator that gave the effect on impact at distances when canting the rifle. At 300 yards you’d have to be canting a lot to have bullet stray left or right more than an inch or two. I’ve got bubble levels on most rifles now.