Any western rifle hunts in August?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Funny. I don’t remember the temps at all when I think back on those trips. And it’s not 100 degrees every day in all of A zone lol. Relax. You’re exaggerating and making excuses. If you don’t want to do the hunt and put it work just say I don’t want to do it. Stop trying to justify it to yourself.
I absolutely don’t want to do an A zone public land backpack hunt with my family. You can call it excuses if you want. Imo, it’s not right for my kids at this point. End of story. I’m looking for something enjoyable as a family.

I'll try to help. How about a cow elk hunt in northern Nevada? Think the season runs the first two weeks of August. It could be warm, but not hot. Should be decent weather. Decent road access. Terrain shouldn't be too bad.

Now you've got me thinking that maybe that should be my daughter's first out of state hunt. Hmm...

Reactions: Guy

ramses342

FNG
"AK is probably too hard core for an intro hunt for a kid." Yeah that's probably true unless you got loads of money to drop on a boat rental or a forest service cabin or something. SE in summer means alpine hunting so its pretty hardcore. Good luck on whatever you guys choose!

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I'll try to help. How about a cow elk hunt in northern Nevada? Think the season runs the first two weeks of August. It could be warm, but not hot. Should be decent weather. Decent road access. Terrain shouldn't be too bad.

Now you've got me thinking that maybe that should be my daughter's first out of state hunt. Hmm...
Now we’re talking. Is it a youth hunt? That sounds like a lot of fun. I’ll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: Guy
I agree with the OP that having atleast a couple target sightings is important when it comes to bringing anyone into hunting. I know if I hadnt seen an animal the first couple years I wouldn't have had even the slightest interest in hunting later on. I know when I bring my kids out I push them a little bit but when they say they are cold or tired it's time to start thinking about heading back. No need to make anyone miserable to get them into hunting their first times out. Hunting is uncomfortable for most first time hunters no matter what the temperature hike or Target environment is so why not be more picky about where you bring them to make it as enjoyable as possible?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I agree with the OP that having atleast a couple target sightings is important when it comes to bringing anyone into hunting. I know if I hadnt seen an animal the first couple years I wouldn't have had even the slightest interest in hunting later on. I know when I bring my kids out I push them a little bit but when they say they are cold or tired it's time to start thinking about heading back. No need to make anyone miserable to get them into hunting their first times out. Hunting is uncomfortable for most first time hunters no matter what the temperature hike or Target environment is so why not be more picky about where you bring them to make it as enjoyable as possible?
Finally, some sensibility. Thanks.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

Who said they wouldn't have any target sightings with the suggestions so far? I agree on making it enjoyable, absolutely. Sounds like a truck base camp setup somewhere with nice weather is what OP needs.

Now we’re talking. Is it a youth hunt? That sounds like a lot of fun. I’ll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't think it's a youth hunt. I truly don't know much except that when I was starting an archery deer hunt there were guys finishing up their rifle cow hunt. So I know that it exists. I absolutely agree with your attitude of making sure the kids are entertained. Parents know their kids best. Or, at least they should:)

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Pigs and circus animals (sika, axis, fallow, aoudad, etc.) in Texas.

We do a Texas trip every year. My boy shot his first deer at age 7, and I think he’s up to six or eight now. But that’s for free range whitetails, hogs, and some axis. No high fence circus animals. That’s the one line I will absolutely draw.

Come to WA and kill bears. August 1st opener and 2 bear limit statewide. Kill some bears in stevens, ferry or pend orielle counties. Huckleberries and service berries are going strong in august. Bears are abundant and easy to locate.

Jaker_cc

WKR
I second the New Mexico antelope, if you draw then you have a great time. If not then you can go back a little later and kill buckets of blue quail!! Win win