Any terminal ballistics reports on the heavy/high BC 270 bullets?

I am thinking about building a fast twist 270 cal rifle. Either a 270 Win or a 270WSM throated to use long bullets. I have been able to find a couple of barrel makers here in Aus that can make something that would work for this project, either a 1/9" twist, or a 1/7" twist.

Given that pre 6.8 Western, we were pretty limited to the 170gn Berger, but now have a few other options hitting the market, has anyone actually hunted with these newer bullet offerings? So far very few of these are available in Australia, so very little real world data is available over here at the moment.

Last edited:
I’d like to say I have real world hunting performance with my high twist 1-8 270 win. But I do not perhaps others will. But 1 get roughly 2,900 fps from a 26” barrel with a 170 gr Berger ELO. Which at sea level retains 2,000 ft lbs of energy out to 830 yds . So it is a beast . As the 6.8 Western become more prominent I would think the availability of heavy hunting bullets will become more prevalent. Hopefully someone can give you real world examples of energy on target and bullet characteristics. On paper though it is crazy. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is absolutely no reason to believe it wouldn’t work. People have preconceived notions based a cartridge/head stamp. Find a way to get a good bullet on target at a velocity range it was intended for and stuff is going to die. That said, I wouldn’t go that heavy with a 270win as I wouldn’t want to give up that much velocity. A high bc bullet in the 150-155gr class is what I’d be looking for. Depending on what “long range” means to you, there are even some good .277 bullets that stabilize in the 1:10 barrels. Barnes LRX is one of them and it’s good to at least 500+ yards.

Took 5 critters last season and 2 additional in 2021 with 175gr .277 Sierra TGK's in my 6.8W. All of them died quickly and only had one requiring a follow up shot due to a poorly placed first shot. All were pass throughs.
  • Pronghorn Buck-200yds
  • Pronghorn Doe-350yds
  • Bull Elk-500yds
  • Mule Deer Buck-350yds
  • Mule Deer Doe-300yds
  • Cow Elk-100yds
  • Mule Deer Buck-250yds
That said, I'm a fan of .277 heavy's. I haven't shot anything with Berger's though.

I’d like to say I have real world hunting performance with my high twist 1-8 270 win. But I do not perhaps others will. But 1 get roughly 2,900 fps from a 26” barrel with a 170 gr Berger ELO. Which at sea level retains 2,000 ft lbs of energy out to 830 yds . So it is a beast . As the 6.8 Western become more prominent I would think the availability of heavy hunting bullets will become more prevalent. Hopefully someone can give you real world examples of energy on target and bullet characteristics. On paper though it is crazy. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I am hearing the 6.8 Western is selling in the US, but hasnt really got to Australia yet. Im hoping it gets more momentum.

There is absolutely no reason to believe it wouldn’t work. People have preconceived notions based a cartridge/head stamp. Find a way to get a good bullet on target at a velocity range it was intended for and stuff is going to die. That said, I wouldn’t go that heavy with a 270win as I wouldn’t want to give up that much velocity. A high bc bullet in the 150-155gr class is what I’d be looking for. Depending on what “long range” means to you, there are even some good .277 bullets that stabilize in the 1:10 barrels. Barnes LRX is one of them and it’s good to at least 500+ yards.
Yes, if you are running monos, you definitely need the velocity. I prefer a heavy for calibre led core bullet to copper bullets, but thats still pretty new for the 270 cal. I have no doubt it will kill things, but just trying to find some real world performance in what is already on the market.

Took 5 critters last season and 2 additional in 2021 with 175gr .277 Sierra TGK's in my 6.8W. All of them died quickly and only had one requiring a follow up shot due to a poorly placed first shot. All were pass throughs.
  • Pronghorn Buck-200yds
  • Pronghorn Doe-350yds
  • Bull Elk-500yds
  • Mule Deer Buck-350yds
  • Mule Deer Doe-300yds
  • Cow Elk-100yds
  • Mule Deer Buck-250yds
That said, I'm a fan of .277 heavy's. I haven't shot anything with Berger's though.
Thanks. Thats very helpful. Its probably the most results I have heard from one person. Really good to hear the 175TGK is performing for you across a good range of animals and distances.

I’ve killed a mule deer doe at 50 yards and a cow elk at around 500 don’t remember exactly with the 175 tgk out of a 6.8 western. Both with 1 shot and both pass throughs. Both died pretty quick but I didn’t perform a necropsy to really dig in to the damage that happened.

I’ve killed a mule deer doe at 50 yards and a cow elk at around 500 don’t remember exactly with the 175 tgk out of a 6.8 western. Both with 1 shot and both pass throughs. Both died pretty quick but I didn’t perform a necropsy to really dig in to the damage that happened.
Thanks make. Good to hear another encouraging report on the 175 TGK. They are about the only heavy for calibre bullet for the 270 that is actually available here at the moment. I am going to have to buy a few boxes.

Back