Any science behind offset degree vs arrow weight or FOC?

LostArra

WKR
Your answer is in your original post. Fletch three of each 2, 2.5 and 3 degrees offset. Shoot them for two weeks with broadheads at a Vegas target at a single distance of your choosing, maybe your average hunting distance. Best score wins. End of story.

OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
How many grains of powder, to the tenth of a grain? Or is the answer, "it depends"? Which is inconceivable because I read that a really smart guy on the internet thinks that all the variables can somehow be isolated by using "equipment capable of doing so".
But it doesnt matter right? According to you, instead of doing a study, that time is better invested improving your 1.25 moa groups with trigger time than it is worrying about an accurate load.

But it doesnt matter right? According to you, instead of doing a study, that time is better invested improving your 1.25 moa groups with trigger time than it is worrying about an accurate load.

Because it is.

That's been proven over and over.

It's not improving those groups, it's improving your shooting.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
man I read it all. Thankyou for the reminder why I dont come in the archery forum anymore. What a waste of time. Im better time spent going and shooting 10 vegas dots then reading a thread.

OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
Because it is.

That's been proven over and over.

It's not improving those groups, it's improving your shooting.
If you take the same shooter, same rifle, etc. Sit him down with 10 rnds of the shittiest factory ammo you can find, and then 10 rounds of handloads that shoot with single digit ES...you honestly going to tell me that the ammo will have no effect on that same shooters accuracy downrange. You can't be serious. The difference between a good handload and factory ammo can be close to 1 moa. Maybe that's acceptable to you, or not worth your time. To some it is. Safe to assume the same goes to building arrows. Do some steps pay more dividends than others, sure, but I'd disagree from a logical standpoint to say fletching doesn't matter.

Last edited:
If you take the same shooter, same rifle, etc. Sit him down with 10 rnds of the shittiest factory ammo you can find, and then 10 rounds of handloads that have been proven to shoot say .5 with single digit ES...you honestly going to tell me that the ammo will have no effect on that same shooters accuracy downrange. You can't be serious.

Way to move goal posts there bud.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Thats the differwnce between you and I...I wouldn't shoot a .75 moa rifle if you paid me...throw a new barrel on and spend some time at the reloading bench (assuming you're as good a shot as you imply) it should be pretty easy to get down into the sub .5moa range, heck even .25 on a hu ting rifle isn't unheard-of and hold that out to ethical big game distances.

please tell me more about your 0.75 moa rifles. I want to hear more. Show me your setup is it a chirstensen or a fierce?
single digit es. Man you must be the best.
Thank you for gracing us with your presence. Among all these nationaly ranked shooters tell me how you are a bad ass and they cant ever match you.

OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
please tell me more about your 0.75 moa rifles. I want to hear more. Show me your setup is it a chirstensen or a fierce?
single digit es. Man you must be the best.
Thank you for gracing us with your presence. Among all these nationaly ranked shooters tell me how you are a bad ass and they cant ever match you.
If you shoot a Vegas round at lunch and don't post about it on a rokslide thread, did you even shoot it?

Sorry bud, don't own any .75 moa rifles. Did sell one that I couldn't get down to the .5s though. I dont think that's claiming to be a badass, considering the pros are shooting ragged holes. Take your hurt feelings elsewhere.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
If you shoot a Vegas round at lunch and don't post about it on a rokslide thread, did you even shoot it?

Sorry bud, don't own any .75 moa rifles. Did sell one that I couldn't get down to the .5s though. I dont think that's claiming to be a badass, considering the pros are shooting ragged holes. Take your hurt feelings elsewhere.

The ones here that actually do would love for you to come to a match with your rilfle or bow. Any match. Doesnt matter. The outcome is all the same. I got 10k on billy goat makes you his servant. Anytime your ready to put your money where your mouth is.

Oh but you will say you dont have anything to prove.......

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The ones here that actually do would love for you to come to a match with your rilfle or bow. Any match. Doesnt matter. The outcome is all the same. I got 10k on billy goat makes you his servant. Anytime your ready to put your money where your mouth is.

We are about half way to having alone guy 2.0.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
One chance for this to stay open. Several insults and passive aggressive comments.

Lol, I’d love to see this

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I just let the Bitz decide what degree I fletch my arrows. I prefer 3 fletch. My clamp is right helical. There is a very small window of adjustment per shaft diameter that the vane will seat well on the shaft front to back without manually holding the clamp when gluing the vane to the arrow. I mean by taking a light and inspecting both sides until the footing of the vane has total contact on the arrow. I typically use a vane about 3" long. I like the Vanetec and AAE Max Stealth. I use a primer pen and AAE fast setting glue.

Heck, I sometimes run 4" helical.

since the OP made the reloading comparison, there is no scientific method for best bullet to make a .5 MOA rifle either. Each barrel likes a different bullet, it takes trial and error to find that perfection.

As was suggested, fletch 3 each in all of your configurations; go shoot a BH at your max range and post the result.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
am I smart enough to k kw what that is or have run all those tests or have the data, nope. But that's why I asked.
This is why you test stuff for yourself. I don't care what someone else posts without testing it to see what it does for ME. And that would include any scientists that have actual testing data etc. Most of us really enjoy shooting and we also enjoy testing stuff. What else are you going to do in the off season.......test stuff......arrows, vanes, BH's, different ways to grip the bow, etc, etc, and see what it does, see how it affects other things. Trial and error. See for yourself. I would use other's experiences and data points as only a starting point, not an absolute.

It sure sounds like you put the effort into testing your rifles and your loads. Do the same thing with your archery equipment. Would you just accept someone else's loading data, or would you verify and test it for yourself with your rifles? Or would you just start from scratch and do it all on your own?

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Way to move goal posts there bud.

Yeah, what next….comparing Pineapples to acorns?

Threads like this are frustrating…you try to give guys quality advice…but all they want to do is argue. Unfortunately, that drives all of the experienced guys away.

Maybe one of you guys should meet him at the range and just smoke him….might be humbling….grin

Well, as I'm putting together my first set of arrows, this thread has been helpful for me.

My takeaway is go with the offset that is easiest to set with the Bitz and go shoot.

So, thanks to the experienced people @Billy Goat @Mighty Mouse @Beendare @5MilesBack

Whoa whoa whoa now.

You aren't "building" your first set of arrows?

Sorry, can't help myself. I said I was done.