Any Roksliders hunting N of 3 Forks Ranch in CO unit 5 or WY unit 21? I need some help.

fmyth

WKR
Hunted til dark and hiked out only to find out that my trusty Yamaha Rhino would not start. Replaced the fuel filter, spark plug and fuel pump but it will only sputter and die. I think I got some bad gasoline. Ran down the battery and then the battery pack/jump starter box. Decided to hike out. Got to camp at 4AM. I have a 4x4 truck but it is stock and won't make the last 3.5 miles. If anyone is in the area in a UTV or Jeep I could sure use some help.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
Dear God. Sounds like a great trip thus far! Good luck getting your machine out.
Thanks! I drove 1,000 mls to help my brother with his first elk hunt. Might be his last. He wasn't prepared for the nighttime death march in the mountains. When he took off his sock this morning his big toenail fell off. We are quite the pair with my bandaged hand and his limp. He is having fun calling his friends back home and telling them how I nearly got him killed by calling in a black bear with my calf in distress calling skills and how made him hike 8 hours up hill without water in the dark.

Last edited:
OP
F

fmyth

WKR
I came up 5 days early to scout for my brothers hunt. I drove my old Yamaha Rhino to the end of a dead end road 8.5 miles from our camp and hiked about a mile in to a wallow I'd found a few years ago. There was a ton of recent elk, deer and bear sign. The day before opening day I took by brother to the same spot where we sat 70 yards from the wallow and watched a cow and a calf come in to drink and graze. We returned the next morning with hopes of filling his tag. About 5:45pm we were both pretty anxious and uncomfortable from the long hours sitting in the dirt so I asked him if he wanted me to try to call something in. I made a few cow calls and then broke out my "Elk Reel" call. I showed it to him and told him how I'd used it in the past to call in elk. My brother is deathly afraid of bears. He'd been sleeping in the tent with his can of bear spray and a Glock. I then casually mentioned that I had read online that sometimes a bear would come in to a calf in distress call. He gave me a funny look and took the holster off of his pack belt and put it in his lap. I made a few calf in distress calls and then put the call back in my pack. About 30 min later I heard what sounding like hooves pounding the dirt behind and to the left of me. Thinking it was an elk I whispered to him to pick up the rifle and pop the scope caps. I saw him turn to his left and he said BEAR!. As I looked past him I could see a huge black boar running right at us. We both jumped up and grabbed for our pistols. He couldn't get his retention strap unsnapped and I was barely able to pull my pistol from my Kenai chest harness before the bear was within 20 yards. I tried to shout something at the bear hoping it would turn away but was only able to growl/roar. For someone who has never lacked for words I was suddenly reduced to the vocabulary of a primate. The bear now within a couple arms length hit the brakes, spun and left running the same direction he came from leaving us in a cloud of dust and disbelief.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
Wild encounter! Glad you're both OK.
Thanks. I've been afraid of bears my whole life. This encounter did not scare me at all. It was one of the most exciting experiences I've ever had. Quite the adrenaline rush! The hike home was not fun. As soon as we retrieve the Rhino we will be back out trying to fill his tag.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Thanks. I've been afraid of bears my whole life. This encounter did not scare me at all. It was one of the most exciting experiences I've ever had. Quite the adrenaline rush! The hike home was not fun. As soon as we retrieve the Rhino we will be back out trying to fill his tag.
How did you burn yourself?

TX_Diver

WKR
@fmyth is a good dude if anyone in the area is able to help.

Crazy story on the bear. Hope you get something figured out for the Rhino!

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
How did you burn yourself?
Was sighting in rifle that I had cut and threaded for suppressor. Had a silicone sleeve on suppressor. After sighting it in I picked it up to unscrew the suppressor not knowing that the sleeve was laying in the dirt 10 yards in front of me. My skin is still on the suppressor.

Jethro

WKR
@fmyth, I sent a screen shot of you FB message to a guy I know that hunts up that trail. Thing is, I don't know if he's even up hunting. If you see a Samurai, vehicle not Japanese soldier, flag him down.

TX_Diver

WKR
@fmyth, I sent a screen shot of you FB message to a guy I know that hunts up that trail. Thing is, I don't know if he's even up hunting. If you see a Samurai, vehicle not Japanese soldier, flag him down.
Flag down either!! That might be the only thing to top the bear charge lol.

Free bump back to the top.