Any reviews or opinions on the Tenzing 6000/5000 packs yet???

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
I think everyone has a right to their own opinion. I like to hear both sides before I form my opinion. In this case, I will wait until they come out, then I will look at them in person.

As for celebrity endorsements, I think David Long is not a typical celebrity. At this time, I have no reason to believe that he would endorse a product that he doesn't truly believe in.

I was referring to someone else...I didn't realize he endorsed the pack, not that it changes my opinion.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
When we started this site. We had one mission, if we wouldn't wear it in the back country, we would not have it on are site. David and Evan would not put there names on the line for junk gear. I can promise you that! Is tenzing on the same level as kifaru or Mistery Ranch? Probably not but neither is there price point. Is it a quality pack for the back country? YES, is the answer from people I trust who have used the packs.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My complaint on the Black's Creek Bounty Hunter that I owned from 2007-2011, at it appears the shoulder height adjustment system is very similar if not the same. The adjustment system would have been tough for anybody above 6' to really fit into well. Every picture I have seen shows quite a bit of shoulder lift on the Tenzing packs. I am interested to see how much different they are.

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
David and Evan would not put there names on the line for junk gear. I can promise you that! Is tenzing on the same level as kifaru or Mistery Ranch? Probably not but neither is there price point. Is it a quality pack for the back country? YES, is the answer from people I trust who have used the packs.

Who said it was junk? I said that they look to be in the same class as Eberlestock, Badlands, Horn Hunter and Blacks Creek. I may not have said it that diplomatically, but that is what I said. What are we arguing about?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Battle, I understand what your saying about hype. I just wanted it stated that we will not waste anyone's time on shit gear! Backpacks are like everything else, opinion's and price:)....

D

david long

Would you guys like some cheese to go along with your WHINE! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but IMO, you really shouldn't offer your opinion on something you know absolutely nothing about.....but then again, that is just my opinion.

Personally, I have not used a Tenzing pack. I did receive one the other day and will be taking it on my Alaskan brown bear hunt next month. At that time, I will do a complete review on the pack. First impression of the pack......looks like a very nice pack!

cmeier117

WKR
I understand why Battle would be skeptical. It is a new pack in the $400 range with a lot of other options out there. I would love if David, Ryan, or Evan to eventually do a comparison to other packs in the same price range, pack size, same style pack, and dedicated use. Off the top of my head how it compares to an Eberlestock Battleship, Horn Hunter, Badlands 4500 and maybe a few others. That's their competition and they need to be better than these to be a success IMHO. I look forward to the review David! And yes I would like some cheese with my wine. ;)

D

david long

cmeier.....red or white wine? :)

I agree, they will need to be better than their competition. With Jay Robert designing the packs, I like their chances for survival. Jay did some really good things at BC and I believe he will make Tenzing successful. I have been visiting with Jay about working with him on designing a lightweight, backcountry pack as well.....maybe we will see that pack come to fruition in 2013.

7mag.

WKR
Mmmm...I love cheese. I am very interested in these packs. I need a new pack, and $400 is in my budget range. I would love a Kifaru, but I don't have the money for that. So like cmeier117 said, a comparison would be great for me. Even though it's other people doing the work. Unless someone wants to send me all the packs, and I'll do my own review.

The thing is there is a double standard when people post negative opinions. You have to have a basis for a negative opinion. Thats the way they work. Everything in this country is innocent until proven guilty and the same can be said for opinions on packs. You can say "seems like a good pack" with no problem. But if you say "Looks like a piece of shit pack" You need to have a basis for your claim. Not just perceptions. Its a double standard that is actually a good thing, because it makes people test things, not just in the hunting world but in everything. Then if its found to be a piece of crap, everyone will know about it. But until its tested you really can't sling mud at it without losing credibility.

D

david long

The thing is there is a double standard when people post negative opinions. You have to have a basis for a negative opinion. Thats the way they work. Everything in this country is innocent until proven guilty and the same can be said for opinions on packs. You can say "seems like a good pack" with no problem. But if you say "Looks like a piece of shit pack" You need to have a basis for your claim. Not just perceptions. Its a double standard that is actually a good thing, because it makes people test things, not just in the hunting world but in everything. Then if its found to be a piece of crap, everyone will know about it. But until its tested you really can't sling mud at it without losing credibility.
Agree 100% - well said!

Battle

Lil-Rokslider

Good thing no one said it looks like a piece of shit pack.

Battle,

I read what you said, and I think I understand what you meant. There hasn't been anything written yet that shows how they differentiate themselves from the other packs in their class (function and price) so your observation is a good one. Let's hope that the reviews that are coming out will highlight how they are better or worse than the competition, like maybe having a better mix of options or finally getting the torso adjustment issue right.

Larry

cmeier117

WKR
To answer the most important question here I will have a beer ;).

David, I am interested in you and jay designing a lightweight pack (around 5 lbs) with no frills. I just don't like a million pockets, I am more of a a guy that keeps things in ditty sacks. But I have always said pack design is a very personal choice and everyones preference is different. I think if the suspension is nailed and is comfortable, the design/layout is an after thought. I am very curious to see what other hunters think of the pack.

7mag.

WKR
7mag...what pack do you currently use?

I have an old cheap Academy broadway internal frame pack. And an old Kelty, I don't know what model. They are both too small to haul game and camp, barely able to haul camp. The Kelty is more comfortable, but smaller, than the Academy Broadway. I need a new pack really bad. I have used my Nimrod pack frame with a large waterproof game hauler bag strapped on once, and gear lashed all over, but that sucked.I ended up aborting that trip a few miles in. I haven't done an overnight trip in several years, since I got out of the Marines, and I used my issued gear.

OP
KWest141

KWest141

FNG
Would you guys like some cheese to go along with your WHINE! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but IMO, you really shouldn't offer your opinion on something you know absolutely nothing about.....but then again, that is just my opinion.

Personally, I have not used a Tenzing pack. I did receive one the other day and will be taking it on my Alaskan brown bear hunt next month. At that time, I will do a complete review on the pack. First impression of the pack......looks like a very nice pack!

Cant wait for the review David. Im right there with 7mag my price range is around $400 for a pack. I know Kifaru and Kuiu set the standard when it comes to packs but being from texas i dont get go out west but once or twice a season soo i just cant really justify spending that kind of money on a pack. Maybe one day but not right now. My buddy has the blue widow and really likes it and i think its a pretty good pack for my needs. But really like the looks of the tenzing also. Love the amount of pockets the tenzing has cause i like my stuff organized. It will be interesting to see which one will fit me better too. Im about 6' tall and have a 31 inch waist. A 20.5 inch torso. Tall and skinny i know. lol. Goooood luck on the brown bear hunt btw!!! Ide love to do that one day. lol