Any plumbers here that can help? Problems replacing a Price Pfister Cartridge.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Hello All,

I'm thinking there is a plumber here or maybe even a wicked smaht member who might be able to help me solve my problem.

I need to replace the cartridge (pic 3) in our shower faucet (pic 1) as it is leaking like a sieve.

The silver dollar sized chrome piece (showing my reflection) unscrews to reveal access to the cartridge. It is easy to change once the chrome piece is off and I did this 13-ish years ago.

Pic 2 shows the side view of the silver dollar sized piece and how little there is to grab when unscrewing it. That's about an 1/8" lip you are seeing. Removing the flat chrome piece on sink H/C faucets has not been a problem simply using my hand and something to provide a little grip like a rubber glove.

The problem is I cannot unscrew the flat chrome piece. I suspect the chrome piece has calcified so much over the past 13+ years that I cannot unscrew it. I have tried tapping the flat chrome piece to loosen it. I bought a large pair of channel lock like pliers that allow me to span and grab the 1/8" lip, but it's a no go as I can get a good enough grip on the shower knob but the knob wants to turn as that's how the water temp is adjusted.

Also, removing the chrome piece is made worse since the knob wants to turn when turning the flat chrome piece and I don't want to snap anything off as if this faucet breaks, then water is shut off to the entire house until it's fixed.

I thought of heating the flat chrome piece with a heat gun but was concerned it might really hog things up since the cartridge is plastic

Anyhoo, does anyone have any ideas on how to loosen the chrome piece and/or allow for a better grip on the shower knob?

Thanks,

Eddie

Attachments

• faucetpic1.jpg
    faucetpic1.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 86
  • faucetpic2.jpg
    faucetpic2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 86
  • faucetpic3.jpg
    faucetpic3.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 87
I am not a plumber, nor am I wicked smart, so you may want to ignore me but…..if you suspect it is crusted and locked up with minerals/calcium I would suggest a few rounds of vinegar. Apply some white vinegar all around so it wicks into the threads. It will take some patience to wait for things to soften, and may take several applications as there is not any way to let it soak. It’s a fairly benign approach to start with to avoid mashing up the works.

Good luck and I hope you get a better answer soon.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
A few years back I had a similar problem due to calcium build up. I ended up accessing the valve assembly thru a common closet wall. I had to replace entire assy. When I completed the job, I installed an access door in wall incase I ever had the problem again. It was in front bathroom shower which seldom gets uses so it just sat for a long time and built up calcium. I told the wife to run hot and cold water whenever she cleans in there. So far so good. Remember, Utube is your friend.

OP
E

eddielasvegas

Classified Approved
Just a follow up: I sprayed the faucet knob with white vinegar 2-4 times daily for a week and still no success in loosening the chrome piece.

I've not called a plumber yet as I don't give up easily, but that is my next step if I cannot figure this out.

Eddie

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I suspect you will end up replacing the entire valve assy. Or a plumber will. Which will be difficult project, and likely $$$$$$$ project.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Last resort it seems heat always works. You’ll melt anything plastic or rubber.

I would at least try the heat gun. I could see a torch melting stuff but you might be ok with the heat gun. Can you get a big pair of vice grips on that part? If so you could keep heating with the heat gun while periodically trying to loosen.

I'd use a heat gun.

Tap it with the handle of a hammer so bit before you try to loosen it as well.

Erict

WKR
This pic might help you figure out how to tackle it. I'd try CLR over vinegar and if still no luck maybe get out the dremel. Good luck.

1717423410599.jpeg

OP
E

eddielasvegas

Classified Approved
Thanks all for your comments and the picture @Erict . That is exactly what I am dealing with.

I'll try CLR and a heat gun too. Nothing to lose with either and they just might work. Thanks for both ideas.

I bought a large pair of channel locks that span the chrome piece easily. The large channel locks provide ample grip IMO, but the real problem is keeping the faucet knob from moving while I try to loosen the flat chrome piece. Very difficult to put real torque on it without snapping or bending the valve stem. The only thing I am trying to avoid is damaging the valve to the point it needs to be replaced tout suite since the water to the house has to be shut off to work on the shower valve.

Thanks again all,

Eddie

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Thanks all for your comments and the picture @Erict . That is exactly what I am dealing with.

I'll try CLR and a heat gun too. Nothing to lose with either and they just might work. Thanks for both ideas.

I bought a large pair of channel locks that span the chrome piece easily. The large channel locks provide ample grip IMO, but the real problem is keeping the faucet knob from moving while I try to loosen the flat chrome piece. Very difficult to put real torque on it without snapping or bending the valve stem. The only thing I am trying to avoid is damaging the valve to the point it needs to be replaced tout suite since the water to the house has to be shut off to work on the shower valve.

Thanks again all,

Eddie
When I had to replace the entire assy. I cut an access door in the common wall in a closet. I then put shut off valves in the hot and cold water lines for the fixture, just in case. I was then able to turn water on to the rest of the house. It took me a couple days to do the project. Actually the valves allowed me to take my time doing the change out.

fmyth

WKR
Could you drill a hole in the very center of it to gain access to the screw then remove the screw and pull the whole thing off? Then plug the hole with something like this?Screen Shot 2024-06-03 at 11.35.31 AM.png

OP
E

eddielasvegas

Classified Approved
Could you drill a hole in the very center of it to gain access to the screw then remove the screw and pull the whole thing off? Then plug the hole with something like this?View attachment 719999
Another idea I had not thought of. Thanks @fmyth

@GSPHUNTER That's ultimately what I'll do if I cannot remove the piece in question.

The lack of shutoff valves is just beyond silly. I expect it's the builder being cheap, although I see very few homes with shutoff valves for a shower.

Eddie

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Another idea I had not thought of. Thanks @fmyth

@GSPHUNTER That's ultimately what I'll do if I cannot remove the piece in question.

The lack of shutoff valves is just beyond silly. I expect it's the builder being cheap, although I see very few homes with shutoff valves for a shower.

Eddie
When I was still working we had to completely drain the water out of the chilled water loop for the A/C system in a eight story building because there were never valves installed in the equipment/chiller room to isolate that area from the rest of the building. We talked the building owner into installing isolation valves. The next time we had work to do on the system, the valves saved a lot of time and thousands of gal. of water.