Any pheasant hunters here, surprised with trip to South Dakota

sdupontjr

WKR
I have been surprised with a Pheasant hunt to West River Haven in Gregory in early Oct of this year. At 51, I've hunted all sort of game but never pheasant. Long time duck, deer and dove hunter so bird shooting won't be an issue other than being startled when they jump up. My plan is to Bring my Benelli Super Black eagle and change out the choke to a modified or even imp cyl. What kind of attire is needed? Hiking boots, knee boots, brier pants, etc? Have plenty of orange so that won't be an issue, but going into the unknown, I'd like to be prepared.

KurtR

WKR
Good boots I always wore the wrangler brush buster pants. I prefer a tighter choke but the modified will work. Keep shooting if they are in the air alive they will run when they hit the ground.

Wheels

WKR
You’ll likely be hunting pen raised birds so they should sit tighter for the dogs, light modified choke with lead shot will do good. Good boots and a pair of chaps will make your trip more enjoyable.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Yeah had an elk hunt lined up last year and have some good hiking boots. Just wasn't sure about the brush pants or chaps. I'll bring all my chokes for gun.

Good boots I always wore the wrangler brush buster pants. I prefer a tighter choke but the modified will work. Keep shooting if they are in the air alive they will run when they hit the ground.
Yep similar to south louisiana duck hunting. They hit the marsh and haul tail. I see your in SD, what is the weather like in early October?

KurtR

WKR
Yeah had an elk hunt lined up last year and have some good hiking boots. Just wasn't sure about the brush pants or chaps. I'll bring all my chokes for gun.

Yep similar to south louisiana duck hunting. They hit the marsh and haul tail. I see your in SD, what is the weather like in early October?
She is a bipolar monster. You could have snow up to your ass or it could be 90 degrees . I would be checking a few weeks before the trip but it’s better to be on the cooler side for the dogs and you won’t be sweating chasing the Chinese chickens. A nice 40 degree day with a light 5-10 mph wind is what you want. Most lodges will be able to help out if the weather is real bad with clothes.

yfarm

WKR
I hunt SW Kansas every year in early December, most yrs its cool in the morning, high 20s or low 30s warms to 40s by midday,sunny. Last year forecast was the usual, got up and it was foggy, dripping wet and 36, never warmed up, was soaking wet from the waist down in the first hour. Gave my chaps to my 2 sons and hunted wet. Next day was perfect blue sky dry hunting. This year everyone has chaps if needed. 2 of 3 wearing goretex boots had wet feet, one in beartooths didnt.

TXAggie11

FNG
Depending on the type of hunt the vest can make a difference. Any old bird vest will work but the backpack/harness kind are nice if you have to carry a bunch of drinks, snacks, etc.

Dress in layers so you can take off what you don't need. My 2 trips to SD were in late September, and it was typically 40 in the AM, and got up to the 70's for the afternoons. Definitely pick up a pair of LIGHTWEIGHT chaps, Orvis makes some that work great for everything but the absolute thickest of briars. My dad swears by them instead of the heavy Filson ones he used to use. I use a light pair of waxed cotton chaps made by Beretta, but they stopped making them a few years ago.

Aside from chaps, boots, an upland jacket or a carhart/ similar jacket with ripstop material and a bird vest, an invaluable piece of equipment is a good pair of Hiking Socks. The cushion they provide improves the feel of every boot that I own.

Also frequently overlooked are a pair of thin shooting gloves. Dried corn stalks and milo can give papercuts while walking through them, and all bumps and nicks hurt more when its cold. I love my orvis cold weather hunting gloves when its close to 30, but when it warms up, I use some thin leather shooting gloves from AG Russel.

Lastly, a good pair of orange shooting glasses really helps the birds stand out against the sky, and will protect your eyes from the 6ft corn stalks that are swinging into your face. I purchased a pair of Ranger RE's and they have never fogged up on me once - contrary to the baseball type glasses that are 1 piece.

I'm not able to edit my previous post, but I used my 20ga silver pigeon with IC and M chokes on the wild SD birds and I didn't have any issues putting them down humanely.

For pen hunts locally in Michigan, I use my 28ga RBL choked Skeet and IC by Connecticut Gun Company because my shots are close enough, and it fits me like a glove. A 12ga choked IC with 5 shot will be just fine if you can shoot good enough. I'd also definitely recommend practicing up on some sporting clays maybe 3-4 sessions a month or 2 ahead of your hunt if time allows for it - especially if this is a special trip that you do not take often. You want to be shooting your best for it.

Bextat

FNG
Dude, you're gonna crush it! Rock some sturdy boots, brier pants, and layers, and you'll be totally geared up for that pheasant hunt, bro.