Any opinions on Gold Tip Velocitys?

gelton

WKR
My head is spinning looking through so many arrow choices. After consulting with Jerry of South Shore Archery, I finally settled on gold tip velocity cut to 28.5 with the 50 grain insert + 125 head. Just wondering if anyone has any real world experience with them.

MattB

WKR
I have never used them, but they are the light side in terms of GPI, so I would question the durability of them.

Based on the components you have listed, it sounds like you are going for a high FOC combination. The greatest failing I have seen in that regard is with guys trying to use light weight shafts to get high FOC in a lower weight arrow (~425 grs.). People who chase high FOC seem to do it based on Ashby's work, but virtually all seem to forget contextually that 1) the structural integrity of the arrow his the #1 criterion (whereas high FOC is #5 on the list), and 2) Ashby's standard hunting arrow is 785 grs (with total arrow mass being #4 on the list) - the point here being that both the first and fourth most important criteria are marginalized when guys go with a light-ish shaft in order to chase #5.

My wife shot the velocities for years. I never noted any durability issues. I agree with the post above you are going to be going out of your way for a high FOC which i feel is fairly overrated. PS: she will NOT be shooting velocities any more... Made a great hit on a hard quartring bull, arrow deflected up cage rather than penetrating because they were so light.

Joe

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Total arrow weight with this setup (.300 spine) = 460+ grains so I am really not looking for lightweight and am wondering if the pro hunters would serve me better which, with the same setup, has me pushing 500 grains which I admittedly think is a little too heavy for a 70 lb bow with a 28.5 inch draw length, hence the velocities.

I can probably change my order with him for a second time (think I am overthinking this) which is why I put out the question on here to get some feedback. The last order I switched up was from FMJ .300's that were slightly over 550 grains.

Just trying to find a happy medium.

japple

FNG
Of the light weight arrows that are out there, their durability is quite good. Still not as durable as something with a thicker wall. With that said, they shoot very well and are incredibly consistent. I highly doubt that you would be disappointed in their performance.

I shot them for a bit and they're fairly durable.. I broke quite a few on misses from targets etc. I shoot kinetics now and they're way stronger.

Manosteel

WKR
I have shoot gold tip velocity Pro 300's this past season and will again. I am a 29-3/4" draw. Arrow cut to 28-3/4" with a 40 grain insert and 100 gr head. 5 inch wrap and helica flecth. Out of a 72 lb Hoyt Carbon Martix they flew like darts. - robin hooded bareshafts twice during tunning at 20 yards. Had no issues with durability or penetration a huge 7x7 elk I harvested last season; initial shoot at 47 yards was a pass thru as was my follow up shot at 64 yards.

Last edited:

trkyslr

WKR
i ordered some kinetic kaos arrows and cant wait to try them! should be nails

My guess is that if you are looking for a 450-500 grain arrow to perform at your specs, you could probably find one that is more durable than the velocities. Look at the black eagle rampages. I only shot ce blue streaks for years... these are more consistent, better spine, heavier, and smaller diameter. They are insanely durable.

Joe

MattB

WKR
Total arrow weight with this setup (.300 spine) = 460+ grains so I am really not looking for lightweight and am wondering if the pro hunters would serve me better which, with the same setup, has me pushing 500 grains which I admittedly think is a little too heavy for a 70 lb bow with a 28.5 inch draw length, hence the velocities.

I can probably change my order with him for a second time (think I am overthinking this) which is why I put out the question on here to get some feedback. The last order I switched up was from FMJ .300's that were slightly over 550 grains.

Just trying to find a happy medium.

For a happy medium, you could shoot the next heavier walled shaft and an aluminum insert.