Any of you using Initial Ascent Pack?

Jcott948

FNG
The IA pack is great. It fits me well and I find it very comfortable. No, the carbon frame may not look like a piece of jewelry, but it is very functional. Before I purchased a used pack I called and spoke with one of the owners who was very grateful to answer any questions I had knowing that I was looking at a used pack.

Don't throw shade on them till you have a reason too, and just because they do not get a ton of spotlight doesn't mean they are not good packs. They must be doing something right as they are still in business, and participate at the big name events around the country.

I see a ton of SO, EXO, Kifaru, Kuiu for sale on here all the time. What's that mean? Someone wasn't happy with it and is moving on to something else!

I very rarely see any IA packs on here. The last one I saw I purchased and couldn't be happier with it.
Very good points. I don’t care about looks, I just want it to do what it’s supposed to do for me. Definitely a subjective topic when talking packs, boots, etc. maybe I just need to order one and check it out for myself.

Jcott948

FNG
I would say the biggest thing leading me to try the IA out is the fact that people say it can haul heavy without issues. I’d like to see a horseshoe zip on the 4 or 6K, but I can do without.

To answer the question on the OP on what the motivations might be? I will take a stab at it.

Motivated to;
Build a product 100% Made in America.
Build the best possible hunting pack on the market.
Fully guarantee the product.
Slow steady growth.
Take care of customer needs.
Be ready for elk season.

After that? What else is there?

I know there are some on line reviews of the Initial Ascent pack, but you never know their motivations. I am curious if any of you are using it and if so, what is your experience?

Ron
Brian Call did the most extensive review of it I have seen and it's pretty good. I seriously considered it but went with EXO instead simply just felt like it suited my needs better. I get to hunt probably close to 100 days a year and only do 2-3 multi day pack ins a year. The IA just seemed a little to technical for me.

Jcott948

FNG
I spoke with Dennis this afternoon. He’s the co-owner (if not known). It’s pretty cool to talk to an owner, developer, designer, customer service front staff in one. He was very helpful with my questions in an honest down to earth mentality. Would love to drink a beer or two with these guys. #initialascent

Jcott948

FNG
Dennis has me thinking hard on the 8k. It can crunch down to a 5k with the roll top which is very comforting to hear. With the pannier, it seems unstoppable. That was his pack all last year, and his favorite.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The IA pack is great. It fits me well and I find it very comfortable. No, the carbon frame may not look like a piece of jewelry, but it is very functional. Before I purchased a used pack I called and spoke with one of the owners who was very grateful to answer any questions I had knowing that I was looking at a used pack.

Don't throw shade on them till you have a reason too, and just because they do not get a ton of spotlight doesn't mean they are not good packs. They must be doing something right as they are still in business, and participate at the big name events around the country.

I see a ton of SO, EXO, Kifaru, Kuiu for sale on here all the time. What's that mean? Someone wasn't happy with it and is moving on to something else!

I very rarely see any IA packs on here. The last one I saw I purchased and couldn't be happier with it.
There's a lot more SG, EXO, and Kifaru packs for sale on here because there's about a thousand times as many of them that have been sold compared to IA. It's simple numbers. Guys try out packs all the time, upgrade to the newest one, etc etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jcott948

FNG
So. I think I’ve had a decent amount of time with this pack. Unfortunately, I can’t speak to its capabilities of hauling meat or heavy load. What I can say….its a wonderful frame and pack.

The frame itself is a beautiful thing (light, breathable, comfortable). Honesty, it’s a pleasure to strap my kids carrier to it and ruck around.

Go smaller than you think on belt size. I went large and it’s too big. I was 36-38 waist 3 months ago and should’ve went 34-36 or less…maybe even consider Small pending your preference on webbing strap vs. belt padding.

I waited and bought the 8k bag. I originally bought the 4K, but returned it cuz I didn’t have enough room. The 8k is the best bag i have used (seen…felt…used quite a few over the years). This 8k bag and Integrous frame is the cat’s meow. Period

I’ll throw some pics up when I can, but it’s a do-it-all Alaskan expedition to a day bag in lickety split.

Jcott948

FNG
The pics I spoke of. Most versatile system I’ve had. Seriously is a workhorse in many situations. This is my experience with the 8k (and 4K)…

The frame that comes with the 8k is the newest that IA offers. I say ‘newest’ because there is an additional slot in the frame to add another webbing strap vs the 4 or 6K (perhaps the Invictus frame is the same…haven’t looked).

Thats one reason I ultimately went this route. With the extra slot, you’re able to run another webbing and buckle directly to the bag on-top of what the Pannier allows….therefore you gain an additional 2 points of contact with whatever you’re packing. I tried to show this in the pics with my way of securing and compressing the main 8k bag to the frame.

The bag is a full horseshoe…boxed design over a beaver tail. It has a medium/large outer compartment with stretchy material (ex: rain gear), while the main is large and in charge and super easy to access when needed. This is on top of the Pannier which has plenty of space for day hunts with or without the lid.

I’m no expert, but I really like this setup and figured somebody would appreciate the review.

Oh, yeah…it even fits on a plane overhead if you take the lid off and you don’t fill it too full…lid works as a lap bag 😁. I’ve tried a good few of the others and/or hunted with folks that do, and this is where I landed. My humble 2 cents.

IMG_7531.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7541.jpeg
    IMG_7541.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7540.jpeg
    IMG_7540.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7539.jpeg
    IMG_7539.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7538.jpeg
    IMG_7538.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7537.jpeg
    IMG_7537.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7536.jpeg
    IMG_7536.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7533.jpeg
    IMG_7533.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7534.jpeg
    IMG_7534.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7532.jpeg
    IMG_7532.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 51

Jcott948

FNG
Oh and by the way…if you have any questions etc….Dennis and Joe are great folks to talk it through @initialascent

Bradyd4

FNG
problem with Brian’s reviews
The problem with Brian’s reviews is arrogance (that might be a little harsh) but it’s almost like he doesn’t know different packs fit people different… it’s misleading for those who don’t know and are taking his advice as sound advice, he either doesn’t know or disclaim how different packs fit different people… it’s not just packs either, but I’ll stay on topic, haha

friends don’t let friends take Gritty advice very seriously

I think gritty is smart and a really great hunter but with all that said, how objective can you be when your loaded with free shit and part of your paycheck comes from IA? Review may be skewed

I've listened to and watched a ton of Gritty, and smart would not be the first word I'd use to describe. Maybe not even the first 100 words.
If you had to write a 5 page essay describing him, it would be pretty easy to finish without using the word smart, or any similar meaning words

He is a “coattail cowboy” if he didn’t have coattails to ride, nobody would know his name

I listened to his podcast early on when Aron was with him, but can no longer stomach it… rarely listen to Aron’s anymore, but it’s far more tolerable

I haven’t listened for a long time. It’s actually for a pretty silly reason. One time he quipped he didn’t eat oatmeal “because oatmeal is for poor people.” I decided then he was either an arrogant POS or just so out of touch with reality that I couldn’t trust his judgement. Oh well.