Any Himalayan Snowcock experience?

lonespur

FNG
Making plans for first trip into the Rubys to pursue the “Holy Grail “ of North American game birds. Anyone with good stories or lessons learned on this pursuit?

6t4nova

WKR
I hadn't heard about those before but now I'm intrigued and will be following along. Just did some google searching on them. Sounds like a rewarding but extremely difficult hunt.

Brian.243

FNG
Check out the upchukar podcast Travis has several episodes about his experience hunting snowcock

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a friend who's been up-and-down a couple of times and never got one. Tough hunter. Find the water I've been told you'll find the birds.

Mod Mort

FNG
I have done it a couple times, and have leaned a lot through failure. Expect to walk/climb, and do a lot of map work before going out. You'll find most birds on sun cliffs early in the morning. There is nothing better in bird hunting, than the pursuit of a Snowcock. I have experience out from Lamoille Canyon, but there are better options.

I have done it a couple times, and have leaned a lot through failure. Expect to walk/climb, and do a lot of map work before going out. You'll find most birds on sun cliffs early in the morning. There is nothing better in bird hunting, than the pursuit of a Snowcock. I have experience out from Lamoille Canyon, but there are better options.
Have you found success yet or any good opportunities. Curious your estimates on numbers of birds in a canyon/drainage

BBob

WKR
I never hunted them but saw plenty of them in the Ruby’s way back when we hunted it often. I didn’t know they existed till one time during our first trip I was on a stalk where I came around a bush and there was this big ol bird. Both of us were startled and neither of us moved for a few seconds until it flew off. I didn’t know what it was until I got home and did some research. I was totally baffled as to what it could be at the time. Pretty fun though :)

Even though I like a challenge this would be quite the challenge. If they are anything like they used to be they are few and far between.

Mod Mort

FNG
Have you found success yet or any good opportunities. Curious your estimates on numbers of birds in a canyon/drainage
I was doing it back in 2016 when there was little information out there and it was learn as you go, but I did see birds. Not a lot, but I had opportunities. I hiked nearly 40 miles the one weekend I saw the most, and I don't think any were in the canyons.