Any guitar players?

Man I bet that was just a blast playing with those guys. Jerry Reed just blows my mind every time I listen or watch him play. That right hand is nuts. And the ease he does it all with kinda pisses me off ha. He’ll do some big elaborate turnaround while he’s goofin off and yeehawin. I would have loved to get to hang out with that guy.

Damn, good eye! Yes, we got to play there a couple times. I think we were one of a few bands opening for the Misfits that night so there wasn’t many people there. But the monitors on that stage sounded so good and so loud that it felt like we were rockstars.
I've seen it a few hundred times. Lol

Even if it wasn't packed, it's super cool that you got to play it!

My current setup. Someday will replace the Epiphone Les Paul with a Gibson also will upgrade the transistor Vox to a tube amp not sure which one yet I like the old Fender Princeton amps though.

Also would like to add a Tele and a Strat eventually
guitars.jpg

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I used to play a lot. Ring finger got amputated a couple years ago, so I don't play as much (or nearly as well) as I used to. I have a Taylor, but my brother bought a Breedlove a few years ago that sounds way better for the same price tag. The Taylor sounds great plugged in, but lacks the low end I like to have unplugged.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Wish I could find an affordable Gibson LP.
This is about impossible. I bought my first almost 15 years ago, a used 2005 Standard cherryburst in mint condition. I paid $1,350. I bought another one last year, almost the same guitar but honeyburst, made a month earlier than my cherryburst, slightly below mint condition. I had to shop around and negotiate to get it for $2,200. Gibson just bumped the new price for the Standard to $3k. I also play and collect Marshall valve amps. The prices are doing the same thing, even used JCM 900 and JCM 2000 heads are going for $1k+.

Reactions: ODB
OP
LoggerDan

LoggerDan

WKR
@IdahoBeav

you are probably right. It’s funny though, in a way. Years ago, before I started logging, I used to cut music wood for my in-laws. They milled wood meant for luthiers and had clients in Gibson, Martin, Taylor. Old growth spruce from POW and figured maple grown locally on the Olympic peninsula. I contracted a few lots and shipments and learned a little about wood. My best billet was worth $500 dollars, with each billet able to provide many Les Pauls worth guitars. Back then I cared nothing about the guitar or playing. Now looking back, I can see that Gibson is making a helluva lot of money!

Bought a Martin about 20 years ago... tried hard to learn how to play for a few months... then started dating a nymphomaniac. Guess which one got all my attention? Still have the Martin though... *sigh*

ODB

WKR
This is about impossible. I bought my first almost 15 years ago, a used 2005 Standard cherryburst in mint condition. I paid $1,350. I bought another one last year, almost the same guitar but honeyburst, made a month earlier than my cherryburst, slightly below mint condition. I had to shop around and negotiate to get it for $2,200. Gibson just bumped the new price for the Standard to $3k. I also play and collect Marshall valve amps. The prices are doing the same thing, even used JCM 900 and JCM 2000 heads are going for $1k+.

Funny, I love strats and Les Pauls and tube Marshall’s…but I’ve never owned any. I’ve always gone down the weird road and played Gallien Krugers, Crate, Peavy, an ADA MP1 through a QSC power amp, Metaltronics, Fender….but my contrarian ass never went “mainstream” and bought a real Marshall. Had a good friend in high school (about 1988) who had a full-stack Jubilee - friggin awesome.

Guitar-wise I have a 1990 PRS custom 24 (again, the contrarian) and a mongrel Strat made with a charvel neck and warmoth body. Had a Charvel Model 4 and Kramer back in the day (when ESP made them), but still…no Les Paul, Strat or Marshall…can I come over and play sometime? I promise I won’t drool too much…

I used to play a lot. Ring finger got amputated a couple years ago, so I don't play as much (or nearly as well) as I used to. I have a Taylor, but my brother bought a Breedlove a few years ago that sounds way better for the same price tag. The Taylor sounds great plugged in, but lacks the low end I like to have unplugged.
Ever consider using open tuning and using a slide? I'm dabbling with a slide myself, muting the strings you're not using is the hardest part.

Funny, I love strats and Les Pauls and tube Marshall’s…but I’ve never owned any. I’ve always gone down the weird road and played Gallien Krugers, Crate, Peavy, an ADA MP1 through a QSC power amp, Metaltronics, Fender….but my contrarian ass never went “mainstream” and bought a real Marshall. Had a good friend in high school (about 1988) who had a full-stack Jubilee - friggin awesome.

Guitar-wise I have a 1990 PRS custom 24 (again, the contrarian) and a mongrel Strat made with a charvel neck and warmoth body. Had a Charvel Model 4 and Kramer back in the day (when ESP made them), but still…no Les Paul, Strat or Marshall…can I come over and play sometime? I promise I won’t drool too much…
Have you ever played through the peavy 5150 or 6505 heads? I bought one of Ted Nugents 6505 heads that was being auctioned off. I found 4x12 5150 cab to put under it and that thing is unbelievably louder than any 100A head I’ve ever played. They’re so strong that EVH had peavy put mic cord plugs in the back of the cabinets because he was pushing the 1/4” cord out of the socket.

IdahoBeav

WKR

Guitar-wise I have a 1990 PRS custom 24 (again, the contrarian) and a mongrel Strat made with a charvel neck and warmoth body. Had a Charvel Model 4 and Kramer back in the day (when ESP made them), but still…no Les Paul, Strat or Marshall…can I come over and play sometime? I promise I won’t drool too much
Of course, any time!
I have the jubilee reissue 100/50w head and the reissue 20/5w combo. They're my favorite amps. I wish I had an original, but they go for about twice the price of the reissues.

PRS is a great guitar. I just haven't yet been moved by one enough to buy one, and I don't know them well enough that I feel comfortable buying online.

I did recently get back into a Strat, and of course modified it- Texas Special pickups. I had the frets pulled. I scraped all of the poly finish off, sanded the board down to a 12" radius, and had stainless jumbo frets put in. I had never tried jumbos before. They are awesome. I'd like to have them in all of my guitars, but a refret job is not cheap.

Reactions: ODB

ODB

WKR
Of course, any time!
I have the jubilee reissue 100/50w head and the reissue 20/5w combo. They're my favorite amps. I wish I had an original, but they go for about twice the price of the reissues.

PRS is a great guitar. I just haven't yet been moved by one enough to buy one, and I don't know them well enough that I feel comfortable buying online.

I did recently get back into a Strat, and of course modified it- Texas Special pickups. I had the frets pulled. I scraped all of the poly finish off, sanded the board down to a 12" radius, and had stainless jumbo frets put in. I had never tried jumbos before. They are awesome. I'd like to have them in all of my guitars, but a refret job is not cheap.

My Mongrel Strat started in 1988 as a single humbucker (JB) and then two, then I routed it out for singles and loaded texas specials in it. Then I swapped the bridge for a JB Jr and that is a pretty good setup. It was green, then white, now plain ash. Not what you’d call a polished guitar but it’s the one I grab first. We should set a play date and I’ll bring it over with my PRS.

who did your fretwork? Mike Lull over in Seattle did a Plek job on mine and it has had a buzz ever since. Drives me nuts.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Have you ever played through the peavy 5150 or 6505 heads? I bought one of Ted Nugents 6505 heads that was being auctioned off. I found 4x12 5150 cab to put under it and that thing is unbelievably louder than any 100A head I’ve ever played. They’re so strong that EVH had peavy put mic cord plugs in the back of the cabinets because he was pushing the 1/4” cord out of the socket.
Yes I have! And liked them a great deal. I really like the newer EVH heads that are super saturated. I like saturated but clean tones.

And I just forgot I had a Mesa Boogie 50 Cal+ and Marshall slant 4x12. That Mesa was incredibly loud for 50 watts. Sadly, like the Metaltronics it was “one toned” , not very versatile.