Any guitar players?

LoggerDan

WKR
Recently started learning guitar After ten years of collecting just about any interesting acoustic guitars I’d come across. ive accrued maybe 15 guitars, but I’ve mainly just dicked around with the strings, cleaned them up and just let them gather dust. Never got serious about playing. Just isnt easy traveling back and forth between home and logging camps with bags, gun cases,chainsaws and guitar cases. About a month ago, I bought a gretsch archtop and after I restrung and spiffed it up, I just started playing. And messing up. And making mistakes. And really enjoying it.
Any other six string guys? Favorite guitars? Fave song to play? Favorite guitar player?
I suppose I have three favorite guitars, one being the newer gretsch, a very old Hohner made from mahogany and an unknown DG’angelico. Wish I could find an affordable Gibson LP.
I’d be happy to hear from ya

Hydr

Lil-Rokslider
When I was younger and before kids I used to play in a dive bar band with a bunch of older guys who took me under their wing.

Acoustic is a whole different animal than electric.

I’d start by learning cowboy chords and go from there.

My main acoustic is a Martin that I’ve played at everything from aforementioned dive bars to weddings.

I’ve had probably a dozen electrics over the years but I’ve settled on a Fender Telecaster that is the same age as I am.

If you get really into it you’ll quickly find that favorite player is pretty subjective based on what type of music you’re into at the moment.

Enjoy the journey.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
Guitar player here! Started on Metallica and speed metal. Recently really got into more of the classics like Zepplin & Pink Floyd. For accoustic stuff I like Jack Johnson!

Good for you! I too have had thoughts about wanting to try and play a musical instrument as an adult. But i keep talking myself out of it. Really wish i would of stuck with it when i was a kid. I come from a musical family and my dad and brother have been partial to Gibson and Epiphone guitars over the years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dos XX

WKR
Been playing since I was 14 years old, 1976. I have no idea how many guitars I have owned over the years. I played in bars for a number of years when I was in my 20's. Played at parties in my 30's and 40's. I pretty much just bang it out at the house these days. I really am more of an acoustic player these days.

My current favorite electric guitar is a 1951 Gibson ES125. It is an archtop with a P90 pickup in it. It is not a pristine guitar nor is really a collectible guitar. It was well used with a number of repairs when I got it in 2020. It plays great, though. My next favorite electric guitar is a 1984 Fender Strat. It is a '62 reissue model. I have had it since 1984.

20200121_134408.jpg
20220625_112810.jpg

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
I can play guitar, but only by extension of living in Nashville for 10 years. It’s just a thing that happens by osmosis, I suppose. I was mostly a drummer before that, but now the guitar the only instrument I ever actually play.

I've played for 25ish years... Most of my life.

I've owned a decent number, I'm down to one. A 53 Fender acoustic. Not really valuable, I just like it.

I bet it's been 10 years since anyone buy my wife heard me play. I still play pretty regularly, but I have no interest in playing with or for anyone. I play for myself.

I'm a little bit of an anomaly (in many ways. Lol), when I think of or list guitarists that I think of as great, it's mostly hard rock and metal. I've never gotten into playing that type of music, nor do I listen to it very much.

hiker270

WKR
Been playing guitar for over 50 years. Played in a bar band for 20 some years. Now its mostly acoustic at home for my own enjoyment. Occasionally get together with friends and jam. Still have my pride and joy 1975 Fender Telecaster Custom and a Fender Twin Reverb silverface.

• Banned
OP
LoggerDan

LoggerDan

WKR
Big fan of Jimmy Page , of course. But I guess old John lee Hooker albums is what really got me int guitar long ago. His phrasing. Old man Keith is badass.

with two guitar bands, I’m more interestead in rhythm playing than lead. I guess Malcom Young was probably one the most underrated rhythm players.

I’m pretty fond of this gretsch and it’s pickups. It plays great unplugged, with juice, with or without reverb and drive. Not one of the higher end models, but I like it.
I like the tele better than the strat. But to me, it’s all about les Paul’s and humbuckers

I been playing close to 30yrs. Played in a metal band for about 14yrs. I bought a Frankensteined Dean ML from a classified add in the paper in about 98-99 and I’ve never played another guitar that responds the way it does. I’ve got a 95 Gibson explorer and an Electra les Paul copy. I’ve put hot rod pickups in each trying to get them to at least be in the ballpark with the Dean but they just can’t hang.
Glory days:IMG_1456.jpegIMG_1455.jpegIMG_1454.jpeg

I been playing close to 30yrs. Played in a metal band for about 14yrs. I bought a Frankensteined Dean ML from a classified add in the paper in about 98-99 and I’ve never played another guitar that responds the way it does. I’ve got a 95 Gibson explorer and an Electra les Paul copy. I’ve put hot rod pickups in each trying to get them to at least be in the ballpark with the Dean but they just can’t hang.
Glory days:View attachment 586341View attachment 586342View attachment 586343
Is that you Dimebag?!🤣

@Customweld

my Good friend passed on and left me a deering good time banjo! I wouldn’t know where to begin on it
I watched a ton of YouTube tutorials. I wished that would have been around when I was first learning string instruments. If you get a chance, take a couple of lessons. You’ll find that you will hit plateaus and can’t progress any farther. It’s really helpful to have someone that knows what they are doing to guide you through those tough patches.BTW, hold on to that Deering! They play very nice.

I've been through a bunch of cheap Ibanez acoustics over the 20 or so years I've been playing but a few years ago I finally got my hands on a 2013 Gibson Hummingbird and I already need to get a fret job done I play it all the time. Sounds awesome! I play a mix of rock, country and even some rap and R&B. I dabble in recording too.

Glory days:View attachment 586341View attachment 586342View attachment 586343
Those first two Cain's Ballroom?

Been playing since my early teens (50+ years).. Favorite player by far is Tommy Emmanuel (actually know him personally). Favorite Guitar is the Maton EGB808TE (Same thing Tommy plays everything on).. I have a few vintage Martins that sound great, but are not easy to play.. Greatest treat in my life was to play for a whole day once in Nashville with Chet A. and Jerry Reed.. (They were the masters of all time in my opinion).. Learning to play is very demanding and you never really "learn" guitar, You just explore and let it take you somewhere.. I almost look at my guitar as a storybook that can tell any story you want it to if you can find what you want on the neck.. Sometimes I look at it like a horse that needs breaking.. Once you convince it that you're the boss and will overcome its resistance you will do great things together... Also, if it senses that you're intimidated it will fight you... Be prepared to put in the work... Do things that don't make sense to you on the neck.. You'll find sounds that don't sound normal at first, but you may recognize it as something you heard somewhere and wondered how they did it. For every great player there are countless hours of working through the obstacles and training your hand to do what you ears want them to.. Chet told me once that early on he had to learn songs so quickly for a radio show he played for that he always had problem getting songs right. He just developed enough speed and tough himself to correct on the fly and actually turned it into his own musical style.. Everyone thought he meant to be off by a half note that turned into a slide.. All the best and enjoy the ride.. Just don't expect to ever stop learning...or don't be disappointed if you never "master" it.. Also, you can really accelerate your learning by playing with other people who play (good, bad and ugly) .. Learn to really "listen" to music that you want to learn and understand what makes you like the music you listen to and like. Some of the most basic players ever (John Prine) sound great because of their presentation. All the best..

Last edited:

Mike 338

WKR
Bedroom player here. Enjoy learning songs on the acoustic and playing along to backing tracks on the electric. In my early 20's, I got a guitar but it just couldn't figure out how to sing and play cords at the same time. Many many years later, I saw a guy on You Tube talk about a cigar box guitar. He said you don't need to know anything about music theory to play one. I figured, that's for me so I got a cigar box at a smoke shop and a stick and some hardware from Home Depot a made one. It was big fun. Because it was only 3 strings and the strings were spaced so far apart, it seemed easy and natural to get my fingers involved. Somehow that also made it easy and natural to sing along with. Sort'a like tapping your fingers to a song.

Anyway, I couldn't play all the cords I wanted to on a 3 string so I got a cheap acoustic. I watched a video on learning how to easily learn Travis Picking. Getting the fingers involved really helped open up the fun factor of playing. That's important cause the secret to guitar is having fun.

They make reasonably priced practice amps that are bluetooth enabled which IMO, are essential to having fun because you can play along to backing tracks that sound like a real band. They show you the cord changes as you play. Nobody looking over your shoulder. Just play however you want at whatever level you're at. Learn a new cord and play along or learn a scale and it all sounds good. You're not practicing to get better. You're just goofing off and having fun and getting better just happens. Nobody pushing you to learn something. You'll figure out on your own what you need to do to sound cool and figure out how to do it. Also these practice amps usually have headphone jacks so you can jam with your electric at midnight and nobody is mad at you. Playing when you're in the mood is also a biggie to having fun!

Got me a few more guitars now and a couple amps. Some pedals too. After acquiring some "gear", I can see now that gear acquisition isn't so much where the fun is at. Just playing with whatever is in your hands and trying to get it to sound interesting is where it's at for me.

Last edited: