Any Eberlestock F1 Mainframe pack users out ther?

One of my hunting buddies uses a mainframe and 2 batwings as his deer hunting setup (day hunts). Based on his recommendation, I've ordered a tall frame, 2 batwings, and a vapor 5000 with the goal of using is for some hunts we've got planned.

What accessories have people found most helpful for theirs?
Upgrade to the padded hip belt, it's a lot more comfy than the standard one.

I've used lots of eberlestock in the service and have always been a fan of the F1 on my hunts. Like its been said its not the top tier pack like some others, but its a durable as they come and done great for me.

bought the extra padding belt and it helps a lot. Been walking 3.5 miles most mornings with 30-60 pounds and it’s been pretty comfortable

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried that pack/frame after a family member got one. its not too bad but I would not want to pack any heavy weight for any distance. But, if it fits you and you like it that's all that matters . I would highly recommend EXO, you can use the load panel and a lid for a similar setup.

Quit looking at packs once I got my tall F1 mainframe and a couple of batwings. Spent some time doing some mods on it a few years ago that got it exactly how I wanted. Absolutely love the pack now.

Here's a link to the thread I created about my F1 mods.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Four and a half pounds for the frame is a lot IMO.

Mesh on the inside of the waistbelt sucks compared to a solid material that doesn't allow debris to collect in it.

big selling point for me on the f1 mainframe is the rifle scabbard. it's become a necessity to me now. I've never tried any of the rifle slings from exo or kifaru though.

re-post:
This hipbelt dramatically improves the carrying comfort of the F1
You do have to remove the velcro on the center of the hipbelt and then re-sew it on the flip side but that is easy to do. I did mine with one of those gear sewing awls you can get at walmart or a craft store.
K3 hipbelt is very comfy and worth the time investment.

What accessories have people found most helpful for theirs?
kifaru gun bearer for lightweight and best rifle carry option while actively hunting on any pack imo, usually stuff the rifle in the pack for packing in and out of a hunt area (we have lots of boundaries where need to be encased and unloaded etc.), I run batwings and will use dry bag for the overnight gear

great platform, also happy to see the love here for it, mine hasn't had to haul meat yet but haven't tried a single thing that makes that enjoyable on long pack outs, for the bulk of the shorter pack outs I'll be doing this will be the versatility way to fly, was done with internal frames and finding a narrow compact external with shelf was awesome, it works great as a daypack or kill kit pack where it's used the majority of time now

kifaru gun bearer for lightweight and best rifle carry option while actively hunting on any pack imo, usually stuff the rifle in the pack for packing in and out of a hunt area (we have lots of boundaries where need to be encased and unloaded etc.), I run batwings and will use dry bag for the overnight gear

great platform, also happy to see the love here for it, mine hasn't had to haul meat yet but haven't tried a single thing that makes that enjoyable on long pack outs, for the bulk of the shorter pack outs I'll be doing this will be the versatility way to fly, was done with internal frames and finding a narrow compact external with shelf was awesome, it works great as a daypack or kill kit pack where it's used the majority of time now
I've used my F1 to pack out three deer now. One packout was the whole quartered deer, with head and antlers - albeit a relatively small SE Texas whitetail. It handled the load really well. That pack, once I added my camping gear, weighed 75 lbs. The pack handled it better than I did!

slimcubby

FNG
YES! I am also an acolyte of the F1 main frame. I bought mine in 2011 for a 14 day early season elk hunt in the Bob Marshall...originally just strapped my summer pack to the frame and made do. Several years later I picked up the Super Spike duffel and ran that for about 8 years. Loved it, but I wanted more versatility and pockets for gear storage and organization.

Last year I started running the Kuiu Pro 3600 bag on the F1 frame...this is a winning combo. Plenty of meat hauling capacity, plenty of gear storage and organization. Works for light and fast day hunts, or 5 day over nights. I've hauled out LOTS of game on the F1 frame and it's a work horse. Best part about it is you can lean back on the frame/shelf and have a lovely backrest for glassing : )

Last week I hauled a bull out of the Great Bear Wilderness with two companions. One had a Seek pack, the other a Mystery Ranch frame. The beauty of the F1 frame is how FAST you can strap a quarter to it, I was loaded and ready to go well before these other guys.
Do you have any pics with this setup?

TrailDog

FNG
Yes…check it out. Kuiu bag on the F1 frame, small foam butt pad strapped on the exterior for glassing. This is a great setup and didn’t cost much at the time, back when the F1 frame was about $60…

F4D239A0-6143-4BE0-BA3F-41BDE2F1013E.jpeg68477B90-9564-4417-9F4A-0D64BC982D6B.jpegB0480639-7471-4753-A954-91398E05BA2E.jpeg

slimcubby

FNG
Yes…check it out. Kuiu bag on the F1 frame, small foam butt pad strapped on the exterior for glassing. This is a great setup and didn’t cost much at the time, back when the F1 frame was about $60…

View attachment 473933View attachment 473934View attachment 473935
Looks like a good setup! I’m going to get the mainframe on their Black Friday sale. Did you get the regular or tall version? I’m 5’11” and the guy in store said for me to stay away from the tall version.

Looks like a good setup! I’m going to get the mainframe on their Black Friday sale. Did you get the regular or tall version? I’m 5’11” and the guy in store said for me to stay away from the tall version.
I don’t own one, but I’d definitely get the tall.

I am interested in the F1 mainframe, but I’m curious. Does the load shelf on the bottom ever get in the way? I’m a southeast whitetail hunter most the time, but I’m going on a few elk hunts and other stuff like that coming up. I really want to get a pack set up that’s good for my mobile treestand hunting as well as can be used for elk/western hunting effectively. I like the ability of the F1 to basically have any pack on it, but is the shelf going to be a blessing and a curse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slimcubby

FNG
Anyone 5’10/5’11” here that went with the tall? Do you hit your head on the back of it or is it all good?

I am interested in the F1 mainframe, but I’m curious. Does the load shelf on the bottom ever get in the way? I’m a southeast whitetail hunter most the time, but I’m going on a few elk hunts and other stuff like that coming up. I really want to get a pack set up that’s good for my mobile treestand hunting as well as can be used for elk/western hunting effectively. I like the ability of the F1 to basically have any pack on it, but is the shelf going to be a blessing and a curse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only time the shelf gets in the way for me is when I sit to glass on a downward slope, you have to take the pack off, which can be kind of annoying when you do it all the time.

So, I used my F1 Mainframe with the Vapor 2500 for 2nd and 3rd rifle in CO this year. In the end for me, it came down to what felt more comfortable on me vs the empty weight of the pack. I prefer the way Eberlestock fits me compared to my 1st gen Kuiu. Both carry meat just fine for me, but honestly, I have that pack on way more without meat than I do with it.