Any College wrestling fans as we head into the post season?

TheHammer

WKR
Fix did it too, looking for ways to get blood time. Drives me crazy when kids do that. If its a legit cut its one thing. If you are poking and prodding trying to find blood to show the ref is another.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
I think it was more of the distraction to Vito gaining any type of momentum and wearing fix down. Either way, the better wrestler won. And convincingly so.

Idaboy

WKR
Not exactly the same but the current Wyoming head coach, Mark Branch has an interesting history. As a freshman at Ok State he made it to the NCAA tournament with a losing record, was unseeded and won the championship. His weight class included a future Olympic champ.

Oh yeah, great story, I remember that now. Had forgot about it....pretty crazy!

Idaboy

WKR
I saw Sanderson press conference video and he indicated somehow Messenbrink got it stuck in his head that he was going to OT so kinda "shut it down", so he must have not processed it all. Sanderson took the bullet and said it was on him as the coach to not make him aware....the refs had kinda handed out the stalling calls against Carr way too quickly it seemed. I am not really a PSU fan but man that kid Messenbrink has a motor and he's a beast, he'll be back

OP
J
Cael and the corner really only have one or two jobs during the match. That was one of them. I see that as a huge F-Up. As the athlete....math shouldn't be anywhere on your brain. How hard is it for Cael or Casey to yell "You're still down by 1"?

LostArra

WKR
I just might re-watch Vito/Daton again today. Was that good.
Do you have a free hour? It seemed like that's how long the match took.

Was it determined that Vito was injured during the season?
I watched his two earlier matches with the Lehigh kid and they looked nothing like the beating he gave him in the semis. Vito is a big step above everyone in that weight class. Last year when he made Roman Bravo Young look pedestrian it was obvious he's special.

LostArra

WKR
Rules. I like the 3 point takedown but with the 4 point near fall getting a major decision or a tech fall is a bit "easier" and probably contributed at least a little to Penn State's team points record. But with a potential 7 point move (TD+NF) comebacks are possible.

I like one thing Burroughs mentioned. Bring in the step out rule from freestyle. I would also like to see the Passivity call in the first period. I wonder how many matches ended the first period 0-0 after 3 minutes of hand fighting.

I like one thing Burroughs mentioned. Bring in the step out rule from freestyle. I would also like to see the Passivity call in the first period. I wonder how many matches ended the first period 0-0 after 3 minutes of hand fighting.

Step out rule would be interesting with all of the scrambling that happens in folk style. I appreciate the athletic ability and craziness it adds, but I'm not a fan of the constant forward rolls to grab ankles and get a stale mate. Maybe some type of exposure point when initiated from the feet while the opponent is in on a shot.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
J
I kinda like the enthusiasm the new stalling...and the speed in which the Refs seemed to hit kids for stalling. But I agree....it's still not dialed in correctly. Griffith and others seem to be able to play the Splits on the edge and not get dinged.

While others (Figs?) are really hustling to circle and get a foot back inside the cylinder and get dinged. The effort and intent was there. But it still met stalling criteria.

In one of Levi's dual matches against Lewan this season....both got Stall calls like a passivity in the 1st period. Basically.....one of you two attempt a shot today.

jmez

WKR
If they would call fleeing the mat as they should and award a point the "splits on the edge" would decrease significantly. It is not action when a guy is actively crawling off the mat.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Carr wrestled a very smart match. Messenbrink is going to wear you down. Let him do it when your on top and he isn't scoring 3 at a time.

jmez

WKR
As for the stalling calls, Fix should have been hit at least 4x in that match. That he didn't even get warned was criminal.

Idaboy

WKR
The newest scoring rules have helped, I think reversal should be 3. I never really understand the "danger" call. Seems like the ref thinks about it, hesitates, then starts counting and then it's too late. (Justice seems it's not called all that often) I don't think stepping out should be stalling like passivity or whatever in freestyle....keep folkstyle folkstyle and freestyle freestyle. Stalling has always been the most subjective, it's the one call you really can't throw the challenge brick at....I mean look at all the times guys dance the last 20 secs and maybe get dinged once. Carr was engaged and wrestling and got dinged 3 times quickly. Playing defense or not being on offensive doesn't actually mean you're stalling, it's just more boring to watch.....still a great weekend, catch some awesome wrestling and then watch the pumpkin beater tourney early round games....sure helps with cabin fever this time of year.....is it shed time yet?🦌

Idaboy

WKR
Stalling calls were too subjective and unfortunately dependent on the wrestlers uniform.
It's hard to call stalling when the opponent is only shoving, hand fighting and bitching. aka old Iowa offense.

I believe John Smith actually hurt Fix in the decade he wrestled in Stillwater.
"Aka old Iowa offense" lmao 😂....ain't that the truth....ever been to carver Hawkeye when that place gets rolling?...hilarious!

LostArra

WKR
Even if you are not a Fix fan this is a good clip. I've always liked him starting when he dominated Oklahoma high school wrestling