Any Archery Elk openings 2023?

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Hello there. Been archery hunting for 12 years, but wanted to try elk this year. It’s my 40th so I put money aside to get a guided hunt as a present to myself and get some quality guidance for future elk hunts. I applied for New Mexico, but was unsuccessful.

I’m wondering if anyone is aware of any OTC guided archery elk hunts that are available this year? Probably going to spend around 6k.

I’m gathering many hunts we’re booked last year, so I’m debating just holding off until next year to be certain I’m getting a quality hunt with good odds for opportunity and quality bull.

Looking for quality outfitters to book a hunt with. Thanks all!

You can call some of the better outfitters and ask about a cancellation list. However, the winter kill was really bad this year is you look in the northern states.

any outfitter that has openings right now for next fall are usually not worth booking. Most quality outfits are booked 3-4 years in advance and they have a long list of names on a cancellation list.

I also think you're going to be hard pressed to find a quality hunt with a quality outfit and chance at a quality bull for $6k

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
any outfitter that has openings right now for next fall are usually not worth booking. Most quality outfits are booked 3-4 years in advance and they have a long list of names on a cancellation list.

I also think you're going to be hard pressed to find a quality hunt with a quality outfit and chance at a quality bull for $6k
Ok so no matter what I’m screwed. Appreciate the feedback.

hiker270

WKR
OTC tags in Colorado for archery elk,. Do some research and do it yourself. Maybe as a rookie the odds are not great but you at least get to elk hunt. Hunted off and on over the years in the Clark, Colorado area and killed several elk and mule deer. Several places to camp like Pearl Lake or Steamboat lake. Pearl Lake campground is somewhat primitive but a 2-3 mile hike east into Routt National Forest will put you in elk country.

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
OTC tags in Colorado for archery elk,. Do some research and do it yourself. Maybe as a rookie the odds are not great but you at least get to elk hunt. Hunted off and on over the years in the Clark, Colorado area and killed several elk and mule deer. Several places to camp like Pearl Lake or Steamboat lake. Pearl Lake campground is somewhat primitive but a 2-3 mile hike east into Routt National Forest will put you in elk country.
Really appreciate your thoughts. I thought about heading to southern Colorado, due to the winter kill experienced this last year. Steamboat was a thought last year before I applied elsewhere. Thank you!

Really appreciate your thoughts. I thought about heading to southern Colorado, due to the winter kill experienced this last year. Steamboat was a thought last year before I applied elsewhere. Thank you!
There will be landowner tags available in various areas. I would look at New Mexico this year. Call outfitters and see what’s going on

Take a look at Hunt Hard outfitters. Their guided NM hunts are $6000, if you didn’t draw, maybe they have some other options to look at.

Deadfall

WKR
So, outfitters book hunts before the states drawing happens. Most outfitters end up with holes to fill after drawings because some clients just don't get a tag.
Then there's life factors. Say a guy books, hers drawn and gets sick or family stuff, or work stuff, or economy stuff. He can't come the year booked. He gets rolled into the following year. That opens a hole in outfitters camp.

Just because an outfitter may have a few holes on any given year does not necessarily mean they are not worth booking with.

Especially considering how hard it is getting for NR to draw a tag in mist states.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Hey LB,

You could do a drop camp if guided hunts are booked. You are kind of in no man's land in terms of your budget. Most guided hunts start around $7,500 and most drop camps are now around $2,500.

Could be a nice way for you to start your elk hunting journey, and there may actually be some availability left.

PM me if you'd like a suggestion on a packer in CO for OTC drop camp. Posting a recommendation of a specific outfit might as well be the same thing as posting the unit #, and I want respect the new forum rules.

Brooks

WKR
Start calling outfitters or landowners in NM. the landowner tags should be out this week and a lot of outfitters will have tags for sale. I know outfitters that wait on guys to call to sell the tag and hunt . I guarantee you not all good outfitters are booked up just yet.

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
Washington and Oregon have otc tags. Could probably find an outfitter to take you for roosevelts for that budget.