Any Altitude problems on elk hunts?

This thread is meant for anyone that has experienced Altitude sickness or any issues related to hunting at altitude. So if you have had Altitude issues please explain in detail what happened and what elevations were you feeling it at? Thanks.

Recently a new Eastern Elk hunter had asked for opinions on whether he should just go pack in deep (6 miles) or hunt on his way in though it seems he already had made up his mind to go deep right away. I live in Eastern NC now but learned real quick that a mile in the Rocky mountains is far harder than your average mile and then there is also the elevation factor. I feel like that is something new eastern hunters don't completely understand till they experience it for themselves and got me thinking to post this thread.

I'll start it off with a hunting trip I took to Colorado in Oct of 2012 First Rifle season. I was much younger then at only 62 years old. I had hunted elk back in the 90's a couple times in Colorado during archery season so this was to be my 3rd Elk hunt. I trained quite a bit with walking, biking and jogging mostly along with dieting and lost over 20 lbs prior to the hunt. I had been a runner and biker and had even run some marathons and many road races up into my 40's and ran up into my 50's so I knew a little bit about training.

While working I had met a local hunter out of Durham NC that had previously lived in Colorado just a couple years earlier and had done some Elk hunting there. So we got to talking and decided to go Elk hunting. He was at least 20 years younger than me I imagine. We hunted deer a couple times prior to going to Colorado and he was one that likes to hike way in to hunt and I liked hiking myself so we got along well.

So the unit we planned to hunt had a parking area about about 8600 Ft elevation and the place we planned to hike into was about 7 miles and at around 10.5 k Ft elevation were we were to set up camp and planning to hunt up to 12K ft or so. I arrived about 4 days before the opener. I initially camped out of my truck in the parking area. There was a small lake nearby and one of the first things I did was to walk down to the lake and back which was maybe a mile round trip. I suddenly found myself having a nose bleed just from doing that! It wasn't a bad one but did concern me as I never get nose bleeds. I soon hiked some on a nearby trail to gradually get used to the altitude. Before the opener I had carried part of our camp out to the wilderness campsite which literally kicked my a$$. I felt half sick from that hike. I set up the tent and hiked back which was much easier as it was all downhill coming back. But I half dreaded caring the rest of my gear back out there again. My hunt partner had still not arrived opening morning so I hiked out the main trail and hunted some halfway between the truck and the camp and finally my hunt partner arrived around noon so I got back to the truck and met him and we got our gear together and started hiking to the camp I had half set up so we could get there before dark. My expectation was that my partner being younger, thinner, pretty fit and having lived at elevation some 2 or so years earlier would have no problem with the elevation but it didn't work out that way. He struggled as I did and he got sick about 9 tenths of the way there and puked his guts out. After that day, however he did seem to get around a little better than I could. Unfortunately the mountain he thought would have elk grazing on at about 11.5 -12K feet which we hiked to early the next morning showed no Elk sign at all. Not even old sign. So we went back to our camp and packed up and brought all our gear in one trip back to the truck. I think I was probably carrying at least 70lbs and though downhill was still a struggle with my old cheap backpack. About 2/3's of the way back to the truck my partner decided it would be quicker to jump off the trail to get back to the truck. I didn't agree so I stayed the trail while he went his way.
I got back to the truck and no partner? I waited there about a half hour and decided I best go look for him. So back up the trail I went. I asked some hikers along the way if they had seen him but they had not. I finally got back to near where he had jumped off at and saw him limping down the trail. Apparently it was very steep where he jumped off at and with the heavy awkward backpack he fell and rolled a ways and got beat up some but fortunately not seriously injured.

The Elevation alone with the forever uphill took it's toll not to mention I was having trouble sleeping. Later that week we were trying to sneak along in the pre-morning darkness at 11 something thousand feet elevation. I was having trouble standing on one foot at a time and quietly moving along. I tried the Red beam on my headlight but it wouldn't give me enough light to see the small twigs etc and the white lite was like a spotlight so my partner didn't want me using it so I felt like was caught between a rock and hard place.

To summarize, I feel the elevation led to mild sickness, near exhaustion, possibly to several nose bleeds I had that week, difficulty sleeping and caused me at times to have difficulty concentrating and remembering. As to remembering, when we packed up to leave I sat my scoped rifle up against the bumper. We put everything in the back I thought. When I backed up I heard something that didn't sound right so I got out and checked and I had run over my rifle. I had run right over the Leopold scope. It bent the scope mount a little but the scope is still usable and just has a scratch on it fortunately for me and the Winchester rifle still shoots fine. But what a crazy hunt. LOL.
I've since gone on 3 more elk hunts but none in Colorado. In my older age I feel like I do better if I mostly hunt at elevations under 10K ft.
So I am hunting in Montana this year so I'm trading a little elevation for Grizzly bears.

Last edited:

rob86jeep

WKR
Altitude sickness isn't something that can be explained in absolutes. People from CO (living at 7k feet) get altitude sickness after 10+ years of living here sometimes. I went from 0 ft to 11.5k ft and didn't experience anything whereas my hunting parter started throwing up at around 10k (only for one night though). I think the best advice would be to know the signs/symptoms and adjust if you feel/see any of them.

Last edited:
I second rob86. Knowing the signs can be life or death. In 2008, on my first elk hunt, I hunted in the Flat Tops with 4 other flatlanders in an outfitted spike camp at 10,000’. We didn’t know the signs. A friend in camp started with headaches, then inability to eat or drink. All this happened over 48 hours. Having a radio to call in the outfitter saved his life I truly believe. After a 4 hour ride strapped to a pack mule and a descent to 7000’ he recovered. He was the fittest man in our group (ran marathons often each year) and none of the rest of us had any issue.

Last edited:
I’ve had it once before. I lived at 4200 feet elevation and drew a cwmu tag when I was in Utah so I couldn’t scout there at all. The lowest elevation there was 8500 feet and the first night it snowed 2 inches I woke up and was really really sick most of the day. Actually I missed a buck that I should have hit because I was so sick. Best way to describe it was basically the flu but not throwing up at all. I started feeling a little better that evening and shot a buck at 590 no problem. Next morning a friend of my uncles went out on the same place with an elk tag and I had never felt better. The day before I could hike 20 feet and have to stop but after I got over it we hiked like mountain goats no problem. I have never got it since and I live at 6500 feet elevation now I think that’s helped.

I hunted Colorado last year for the 1st time (coming from Tennessee - about elevation 375') and we camped at 10,400'. Never had actual altitude sickness but had lots of issues sleeping. My heart rate would be up near 100 at night (typically in the 50s at home while sleeping) and I felt like I was having to force myself to take deep breaths. First 2-3 nights were exhausting and then my body seemed to adjust?

Mitten32

WKR
I live in the Midwest and can pretty much plan on having a really bad headache for the first two days of the hunt. After that it just seems to kind go disappear. I've never had issues with nausea (knock on wood).

My first elk hunt.

First off, i left from about 12 feet above sea level, right along the chesapeake bay at about 4 p.m. I drove like a madman and pulled in right at last light the next night, only stopping for gas and peeing in bottles along the way, miraculously never getting pulled over. By time i set up camp, it was about midnight. Up at 4 a.m. for a long hike the next day.

I had gone and scouted the area a few times, and in late July i found a bunch of elk and some big bulls in the foothills in some public with big surrounding private at about 7.5k'. I went there my first day out, didn't hear a thing and jumped a decent bull by the truck - but not enough elk sign to keep us there. By about noon, it was 95 degrees. Tried to hide in shade for a bit but it was so hot. Broke down camp that night to sleep in truck, About 4 hours of sleep.

I decided we would go hit the high country. Parked at about 9.5k' and decided to hike up to right above treeline in a flat spot right around 12k'. Hike was a little under 2 miles, but no trail and some deadfall to battle. I had no idea how to pack, packed in probably 70 or 80 pounds, just stuffed stuff where ever stuff would stuff - including about 2 gallons of water. About halfway the hike up there, bulls going nuts running all around, bugling, just mayhem. I stopped and dealt with them, right about the time the thermals switched and swirled up, down, and all around. Back to my hike and up I went. When i finally got up to where i wanted to be, I kept chugging water and a small headache came creeping in. Within an hour, my heart was racing and my whole body felt like a noodle. I felt like someone sucked my soul out with a straw. I kept drinking water and went hunting, after all that is why i was there. That night was brutal. Crushing headache, totally exhausted, 40+mph winds, terribly uncomfortable, didn't sleep a minute. By the next morning, i had drank all my water and the closest water was almost 2k' down in elevation, not far from the truck. I still felt pretty crappy but elk were bugling, keeping whatever bit of soul left within me pushing the last ounces of my efforts. I decided to pack everything out and hunt from the truck for the rest of my time out there. Been hunting from the truck ever since!

OP
Roughwater
My second time to Colorado on a 2 family vacation with a running friend which was back in the early 90's we camped out a couple days in Colorado Springs at the edge of town and stayed at that camp several days and saw many of the tourist sites of Colorado Springs area. So we decided we wanted to hike up the Barr trail to the top if possible which if you know the area is Pikes Peak. We both being runners at the time had no plans to try to run up the trail but we did walk up at a brisk pace. Along the way we passed up a couple young ladies carrying backpacks
and they apparently decided they would walk with us. We were not carrying any packs and I don't think we were even carrying water but they were local and matched our pace all the way up to the Barr Camp which I think was about 7 miles in. We took a break at the Barr camp and were thinking we could maybe still make it to the top that day which I'm guessing was another 6 or so miles. The young ladies had planned to camp at the Barr camp but invited us to camp with them. But for one we had mountains to conquer and we were married and our wives might not be all that understanding so up we went. It was early June and when we got up I'm guessing to about 13K feet we could see the top of the mountain but the air was feeling pretty thin to me and we were into snow and could no longer tell where the trail was. We tried to go more or less straight up going from boulder to boulder as the snow was so deep. This is where I really felt the altitude. I wasn't sick, just couldn't get enough O2. I would take 15 steps and have to rest a minute to catch my breath. But then we started hearing thunder. It kinda worried us since where we were, we were the tallest objects around. So we started jogging back down once we found the trail again. The top was probably less than a 1/2 mile as the crow flies above us but due to the snow and the coming storm we could not get up there anyway. So we actually jogged all the way back past the Barr Camp all the way to the bottom which didn't seem bad while we were doing it but my upper leg muscles were sore for several days from holding myself back all those miles downhill.

But the main point to the story is how the Elevation affected me at around 13K feet. I didn't get sick but just trying to move uphill at that elevation took my breath away even though I was very fit. Had there been no snow or storm it probably would have taken me forever to hike that last 1 K ft of elevation.

Last edited:

mlgc20

WKR
As said by others, it affects people very differently. I've been lucky that I don't tend to get sick from the altitude. But, anytime I am over ~8K feet, my appetite is just completely gone. I can easily go all day and not have the desire to eat at all. I will keep hydrating. But, eating becomes a real chore. I did make the mistake once at high elevation, after a long day of hiking and not eating of taking an Ambien. Ambien on an empty stomach at high altitude is a really bad idea. I turned into the Young Guns on peyote. I don't take Ambien any more.

rayporter

WKR
i had a touch back in 88, could not get out of bed one morning. pardner said we got to get you off the mountain. i said i will tough it out this morning while you go hunting and leave this evening if i am no better.
the sound of his shot cured me instantly.

in 2015 i started to have trouble every trip. serious enough i have quit.

my bud had headaches the first few years we went. we traced his down to caffeine withdrawal. he drank pepsi and switched to caffenine free pepsi and his headaches went away.

LaGriz

WKR
Good Thread,

I have heard that taking anti-acids like Tums or Rolaids can help with the symptoms of altitude sickness.
Has anyone experienced this result? I live at 37 above sea level so I too am curious.

LaGriz

OP
Roughwater
As said by others, it affects people very differently. I've been lucky that I don't tend to get sick from the altitude. But, anytime I am over ~8K feet, my appetite is just completely gone. I can easily go all day and not have the desire to eat at all. I will keep hydrating. But, eating becomes a real chore. I did make the mistake once at high elevation, after a long day of hiking and not eating of taking an Ambien. Ambien on an empty stomach at high altitude is a really bad idea. I turned into the Young Guns on peyote. I don't take Ambien any more.

LOL. Some take things to feel that way on purpose. Hopefully this thread won't drift into that community or we could end up seeing a lot of non-hunters in the mountains getting their high on Ambien.

OP
Roughwater
Good Thread,

I have heard that taking anti-acids like Tums or Rolaids can help with the symptoms of altitude sickness.
Has anyone experienced this result? I live at 37 above sea level so I too am curious.

LaGriz

I can't say either way that taking an antacid would help but I do use the "Wilderness Athlete" Altitude Advantage Capsules. I don't know that they help for sure but they don't seem to cause me any issues either. But in addition to that I've learned to take it slow the first couple days in the Mountains. I still do everything I normally would but instead of trying to charge right up the mountain I take my time. When I feel out of breath I take a few seconds to recover before moving on. Staying well Hydrated definitely helps as well. I didn't mention it but I also often loose my appetite so I make myself eat. We need the calories in the field. Even more in the mountains than normal. Some companies offer a powder you put in your drinking water to reduce elevation issues. I've used that in the past and I feel like it helps. I like the mountain house Blueberries, milk and Granola as a snack or even as a breakfast ceral. Just add water. It's pretty tasty to me and I have no problem eating some even when I'm not hungry.

Where I used to sleep in the truck or on the ground in a tent I now set up a comfy Base camp once I establish my hunt area. I put up a large tent that I can stand up in near the truck as a base camp and sleep on a metal fold up cot with a foam mattress. I will still set up a spike camp if need be but I like the idea of having a comfortable camp to help me sleep well. I don't sleep much on my trip out and often not too well either when I spike in so I want that one place I can get comfortable and really relax. I'm retired so I have more time than most to scout and to come back to base camp off and on for a good nights sleep if need be.

Elk97

WKR
I live at sea level and the altitude kicks my butt every year when I go to MT. Usually camp at 7-8000 and hunt up to 9500 or so. I get to camp at least a couple of days early which helps but it's a good week before I start feeling close to normal while hiking/hunting. It just feels like I can't get enough oxygen no matter how much air I suck in. No headaches, no puking, just feel wasted and need to take short breaks often. Sleeping is difficult. I train hard going up steep trails with a heavy pack before i go for several months, I'm sure it helps but every year it's the same story. I started taking Gingko biloba for a month before leaving last year, supposed to increase red blood cells, it might have helped a little, going to try two months this year. Most people don't get into serious trouble with altitude sickness until they get above 12-13000, then it can be deadly if you try to tough it out and don't descend and get medical attention.

OP
Roughwater
In the 1990's on my second Colorado Archery Elk hunt my cousin ended up going with me. He wasn't a hunter but he was pretty in tune with the outdoors and pretty hardy. He had a video camera which was kinda of a new thing at the time, I believe it used either VHS or Beta tapes to record to and he wanted to record the scenery out there and the wildlife. The first area I tried to hunt I wasn't finding elk so I moved on. I contacted the Colorado wildlife folks and they suggested I try a specific BLM area so I did. My cousin decided he would go the same direction as me that morning so as he followed me up the mountain I feared he might mess up my hunting so I purposely moved up the mountain faster than I normally would just to try to shake him off my trail. I kinda regretted it later for several reasons but at the time it seemed like a good ideal. Well, I didn't see a single elk or much sign their either but my Cousin said he taped some deer.
So the next day we headed over to the Flat tops, and camped at something over 10K ft elevation. We were up there a couple days and my cousin decided to take a shower. He had rigged up a container with a hose and shower head and put the container of water up in a tree. It was evening and it never was warm up there anytime of the day. There even had been a little snow at times. But it was getting colder fast as it does in the evening especially at high elevation. By this time I think he had got a bit exhausted and his mind wasn't at its' best. While trying to shower the water container fell on him and after recovering from that he was so cold and chilled he was shaking badly and he could barely talk. It scared me and I got him into the landcrusier and turned the heater on high. He was obviously suffering from Hypothermia. I made him some hot soup and though he didn't want to eat I encouraged him to and he finally did eat the hot soup. At this point in time he really wanted to go home. I had planned to stay one more day to hunt but I thought maybe this is our sign so we packed up and headed out of there. I let him start out driving and at logging truck nearly ran us off the mountain. He was coming up and we were headed down and on the drop off side of the gravel road and all I could see was the Colorado River Way, way Way down there and us hanging on the very edge of that mountain road. A couple months later I had a chance to look at the videos my cousin took while I was trying to out walk him. The deer video's were not deer at all but cow elk! LOL. That all made me question my hunting skills and made me think I should have been less rude and more welcoming of his outdoor abilities.

I believe the elevation was getting to my cousin toward the end of that week. I feel like the lack of sleep, not being hungry so not eating or not eating much starts making us feel tired and groggy and having mind fog. It leads up to making more mistakes. It could lead to disorientation, accidents or worse. The mountains are pretty dangerous to start with then throw in a bit of mind fog and things can get pretty dicey.
Problem is if we hunt hard we are going to get tired for sure but the problem really starts if you can't sleep and don't eat too. When you feel that happening it's better to take a break. Just hunt a half day and drive into town which is always at lower elevation. Have hot meal, fill up with gas, come back and take a nap if you feel like you can. It can re-energize you, help reduce or get rid of the mind fog and put you back on track.
I don't know how the covid19 will affect our hunts this year. I know in many places restaurants have opened up so hopefully we can get good hot meals along the way and near our hunt site as well as take out. Some of the freeze dried food is not bad at all too.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
the last trip i was choking down tums constantly and even started on diamox. something really got to me as i was nearly numb all over at 8000 ft. when i quit taking the diamox it went away. not sure, but i blamed the diamox.

Txhunter85

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest thing I’ve noticed being at altitude is sleep deprivation, and irregular/racing heartbeats at night. Worse when I camp over 10,000 ft. Any recommendations on how to sleep at higher elevations?

OP
Roughwater
The biggest thing I’ve noticed being at altitude is sleep deprivation, and irregular/racing heartbeats at night. Worse when I camp over 10,000 ft. Any recommendations on how to sleep at higher elevations?

I wish I had an answer for that as I have experienced the same issues like you especially above 10K ft, My personal answer is to avoid sleeping at 10k ft. It's not always possible but possibly sleeping a couple days at 7K feet might help? I do know that even in my older age I gradually adjust by sleeping at under 7K feet a couple nights. I don't normally feel too bad at 6-7K especially after at couple days at that elevation but for some reason 10K and higher even when I was much younger takes longer to adjust to.

I recall many years ago when my kids were younger our family camped one night at a campground I believe was on Mt Evans in Colorado. We were at above 10K ft. We were trying to get a little firewood together and I had a hatchet. After having used the hatchet just a few minutes I would be out of breath and would have to pass it on to someone else and so on and they would do the same. It seemed amazing to us all how quickly we would get out of breath. I recall too that I was having a little trouble sleeping at night as my heart seemed to be pounding.
Even just last year on my way to Utah to hunt, while passing through Colorado we stopped at a rest stop at a pass which was in the 10K elevation range. We parked and had to walk up a sidewalk to the rest room. It wasn't a steep incline at all but I strongly felt the effects of the altitude. But when we got to our campsite in Utah at I believe around 7k I could only slightly feel the effects of the elevation. I had set up a spike camp after a couple days of scouting at about 8200 Ft and felt no serious effects from sleeping at that altitude but by that time I had some time to acclimate.

Last edited: