Antlerless Hunting - Cows w/ calves, Does w/ fawns...

Jkr61

FNG
I asked Colorado cpw about cow moose with a calf because it’s unusual for me to see one not with a calf. There thinking is most calf’s will survive and that tags are issued based upon that.

LostArra

WKR
It's probably a little easier to get all Bambish if you're a resident with $60 and a two hour drive invested in the elk hunt.

I don't worry one second about WT fawn survival in Oklahoma. If I'm doe hunting, I shoot a doe. Never a fawn; too little meat for the trouble.

We used to discuss dry cows being fatter (they seem to be) and better meat (no difference).
When rifle hunting elk (which is rare) I'll look for what appears to be a dry cow. Doesn't always work out since their calves can be anywhere.
Bow hunting I usually don't worry about it. Shot opportunities can happen fast and there are usually other elk around to watch junior.

The other question is whether to shoot the calf. If I have two tags I would definitely consider it. I like elk meat.

Wellsdw

WKR
I don’t, just a personal preference. No issues with people who do. Especially in my region. (SE). I tend not to shoot does during archery either, (unless I know she is super old) just wait until rifle for quick kills.

I only archery hunt and try my best to not shoot cows with a calf. I've done it, and if anyone has, they know the situation to follow. I will pass cows these days if I cannot determine with with 100% certainty she is dry. It's just not worth it to me. There is a big difference between a calf during the archery seasons vs the rifle seasons.

I won’t shoot one with spots. An elk calf in archery season is a pass but the cow is a go. Another cow will pick the calf up pretty quick. Maybe I’m just harsh according to some but it doesn’t bother me one bit to shoot that cow.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I won’t shoot one with spots. An elk calf in archery season is a pass but the cow is a go. Another cow will pick the calf up pretty quick. Maybe I’m just harsh according to some but it doesn’t bother me one bit to shoot that cow.
Cattle won’t touch another cows calf. We used to skin a calf if it died and tie the “hide” on the orphan. That usually did the trick. I’m surprised to hear an elk cow will pick up an orphan calf.

wesfromky

WKR
Nature is harsh, and no other predators worry nearly as much as people about stuff like this.
I asked a KY biologist about shooting a doe with fawns. The survival rate isn't significantly different, though I do try to wait until the fawns are out of their spots at least. That said, if I was in an unlimited antlerless tag zone, I would shoot the fawn as well. Tasty. And, I have had a fawn hang around bleating for a bit after I put an arrow in the doe. She ducked and I spined her, so it took a bit to get a second arrow in her. Not a great time, but when you send an arrow, you have to live with the results.

bpa556

FNG
Cattle won’t touch another cows calf. We used to skin a calf if it died and tie the “hide” on the orphan. That usually did the trick. I’m surprised to hear an elk cow will pick up an orphan calf.

Deer, elk and pronghorns will all take up and orphaned baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
I’ve shot fawns,calves, cows with calves, does with fawns, ewes with lambs. A friend killed a ewe with a fully developed lamb inside. It probably would have been born that week.

I took a kid on a youth Barbary sheep hunt where they were only allowed to kill ewes. We got in range of a really nice big ewe with a lamb. I told him if he killed the ewe the lamb would die too. He decided he didn’t like that (which was ok). As the ewe was walking away a coyote came out of the brush and took the lamb. She tried to fight it off but it ran off with the lamb in its mouth. By then the opportunity to kill her had gotten away. Goes to show that even if we have a soft heart, nature doesn’t give a crap.

I’ve also seen a bunch of orphan elk calves around my house make it through fall and winter just fine.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
In NJ, early season is called 'earn a buck'. Must shoot a doe to earn your buck tag. I see guys tagging fawns and does still dripping milk. I have no idea how they do it.

I made this mistake 1 time when i was 19 and had a lost wandering fawn around all season. Felt awful every time I saw it.

Rich M

WKR
I try not to. Young ones rely on momma for survival training.

I’ll shoot the fawn first, or if have 2 tags, both of them.

Jethro

WKR
My only experience with this is on whitetails. When I was younger, it didn't matter. I'd shoot the mom. If a fawn was the only deer coming in, I'd shoot that. Although I've always made an effort to see if it was a button buck before shooting. Can remember 1 year with 2 tags, I shot both.

Even though I know, conservation wise, that it makes no difference, as I've gotten older I'm much more likely to give a pass. Decisions are dictated by what may or may not already be in my freezer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I get to see lots of cow/calf moose and it seems those calves will hang with mom for a longggg time, honestly it seems more rare to find a cow moose without calves these days
Moose calves will stay with mom for two seasons. The first year they are a calf, the second year they are a yearling, and much larger than a calf. There's one unit where I've seen multiple cows with two yearlings each many times. I've never seen a cow moose with a yearling and a calf. I'm not sure that they actually breed that year with a calf in tow, but they will breed with yearlings still with them.

Several years ago I had two elk tags on a hunt. I saw a cow feeding by herself and shot her. While I was breaking her down a calf showed up. I had no intention of shooting the calf, but that darn thing wouldn't shut up, so I shot it too.

Personal preference, I won't shoot a doe with a fawn or a cow with a calf early in the season. It would have to be very late into the season. They just learn so much from mom in that first year.

What I will NEVER do is shoot a fawn or a calf. I find that to be ridiculously stupid.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Personal preference, I won't shoot a doe with a fawn or a cow with a calf early in the season. It would have to be very late into the season. They just learn so much from mom in that first year.

What I will NEVER do is shoot a fawn or a calf. I find that to be ridiculously stupid.
Why is shooting a calf stupid? The mortality rates on calves is very high so there’s a good chance it won’t make it through the winter anyway, they’re bigger than a large MD buck in the later seasons, and they taste DELICIOUS!