Antlerless Hunting - Cows w/ calves, Does w/ fawns...

cnelk

WKR
If you have an antlerless only tag [cow tag/doe tag] do you shoot a cow or doe that has a young one alongside?

This could be a cow moose, cow elk, doe deer, doe antelope, etc.

Thoughts?

Geewhiz

WKR
I would do my very best to not shoot a cow with a calf or a doe with a fawn. Rarely if ever is that your only option. And if it was I think I’d pass.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Tend to not get antlerless tags, but I have had a couple and I would get one if it was between not hunting and getting some good meat. Full disclosure so some think I’m not in an ivory tower my first archery kill was a calf that I called in for the second time that day, best elk meat I’ve had… just wish there was more haha but still yielded as much as most big muley bucks. No i would pass on shooting a mature female with a little one

Isn’t it illegal to shoot a cow moose with a calf in Co?

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I’d have to be desperate or starving. Killing does/cows is relatively easy enough, so I’d find one without YOTY with her.

Tick

WKR
Given a shot side by side, I'd shoot the dry cow/doe. I also have no problem shooting a cow/doe with offspring if it is the only opportunity and legal. Hunting today is a management tool.

crich

WKR
No I pass if there are littles with her unless its a January gun season or something real late.

I had this personal policy prior to this incident but I arrowed a doe once that went down within sight. Unknowingly, she had twin fawns that were born late (young but no spots) that were bedded in a nearby thicket. Within a few minutes they had run over and laid down next to her. I walked up and nearly had to physically remove them as they stayed next to her and kept bleating. Eventually they slowly walked off after standing 10 yards away watching me field dress their mom. I felt horrible for a long time after that one.

I base my decision on the age of the young, proximity to a herd that would likely pick them up, and severity of winters in the area. I’d imagine calf elk are much more likely to survive winter with a herd than deer fawns in an area that deer don’t congregate during winter.
Sometimes it’s totally fine, others seem more like a death sentence.

wytx

WKR
If I'm using a cow tag or doe /fawn license it is because the area needs some doe or cows taken out of it. I'm shooting whatever gives me the good shot.
No cow moose with calf at it's side in Wyoming either.

Hnthrdr

WKR
There’s nothing in the CPW Regs about that.
I get to see lots of cow/calf moose and it seems those calves will hang with mom for a longggg time, honestly it seems more rare to find a cow moose without calves these days

Yoder

WKR
I've killed a doe with fawns and I've accidently killed fawns that I thought were full grown. I think the biggest thing is how late in the season and what is the population like in your area.

bpa556

FNG
Yes I will. Hunting in North America is a game management tool. If the state issues tags, they want those mouths off the range. Any biologist (I work with them constantly down here in Texas) will tell you to shoot either sex of ALL age classes to fill the quota. That’s how nature works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk