Antler configuration - genetics

larsencole

Lil-Rokslider
The mounted deer was killed in 1946.
The color picture of the deer from behind was taken in 2018.... Less than 5 miles from where the first buck was killed.
Wonder how many generations of deer there are in 72 years.
ca7d91fca8b69b05dad5fb2b62a9e574.jpg
114ea762d3a9278831ae7139eb223458.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Baddog

WKR
Did the 2018 buck ever get killed by a hunter? Would assume he’s dead of old age by now if not.

Islandeer

FNG
IMO, genetics can endure for along time.
It’s such an interesting and debatable topic.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Amazing similarities.
Used to have some whitetail land here in AL., that
many of the deer had no brow tines whatsoever.
Not even a bump.
Genetics matter.

Stevek

WKR
Many only think of the buck when thinking about genetics...but the doe contributes half the genetics to the offspring. The doe can and do out live bucks. With does being able to live and breed much longer than bucks, they can continue to spread that same "look" through there offspring....and continue for generations. TPWD does research on WT deer in their research facility. Years ago they had a droptine buck show up. They had another one show up years later and they were able to trace it back to the doe side. On a ranch I managed we had doe fawn one year that was very light colored and had no dark color the normal area of the eyes that were dark. It was born to a doe that was normal colored and had a twin sister that was the same color. Late that season we took some does off that ranch to reduce numbers. The doe was killed and the two fawns stayed together. The next year when the light colored fawn was now a 2 yr old doe, I found her dead in a LabLab food plot. It was fawning season and I suspected she died tried to fawn. I forgot about the twin and then a year or two later, I saw a lighted colored fawn running with a doe in the same general area of the ranch. I guessed that the doe was the twin sister to the light colored doe and now carried the same genetics to produce that light color. No bucks were ever seen that carried that gene. Here are pics of the first light colored doe fawn with the twin sister. She was not a true albino.
1-IMG_6361.JPG2-IMG_6360.JPG3-IMG_6362.JPG

FLATHEAD

WKR
STEVEK, your post reminded me of one time I went looking for my Charolais bull I hadnt seen in a while.
It was at night, hopped on the 4 wheeler and rode down into the back pasture.
As the lights panned across the pasture I saw what I initially thought was him (pure white), then I saw another him, also pure white. Took a sec. to figure out what i was looking at.
There was a normally colored whitetail Doe with twin white or Albino off spring.
So, either those twins daddy was an albino or one of their grandparents were.
What are the odds?