Anti-cant Setup. On Scope or Rail?

Apologize if this has been discussed already. I couldn't find any threads on the topic.

I am setting up my new Tikka and scope combo and I want to add an anti-cant level to the gun. I'm not sure where to put it.... Do I put it on the scope or picatinny rail?

Obviously the scope and rifle need to be level with each other. Putting the level on the rail seems easiest since it's getting put on a referenced level surface and putting the level on the scope seems a little more involved since you need to use a plumb bob to make sure the level and scope are in line.

Thanks for the help!

Superdoo

WKR
comes down to personal preference. Both options achieve the same result and several products are available for each method.
My next setup, I'll have it in the base or on the rings.

OP
CjMelendrez
@TK-421 so if I understand correctly, I should #1 shoulder the rifle in a position that is most comfortable (more vertical is preferred based on the chart) when mounting the scope. #2 install a scope mounted level and verify with a plumb bob. Then #3, take the rifle to a range and check for tracking while maintaining level with the scope mounted bubble.

I will be using the turret on the scope at distance so I can see why tracking is important. Thanks for the explanation!

Overdrive

WKR
I've used the Wheeler level for years on the rifles I have set up for longer range, they have served me well and with some patience I've mounted them by leveling them to the scope and action. The Wheeler level I have folds out of the way and seems to be built tough as I haven't broken any of them yet. I broke the vortex level just trying to get it set up, too flimsy if you ask me.

The scope levels make a big difference for sure, especially when shooting up hill or down hill this is where I believe most people really get a cant in their rifle. Works great with a bipod that pivots you can lock in and have the confidence in your shooting.

I would never assume that your rail is level to scope/bore axis... I personally run a Flatline Ops level with ACI off the scope tube. I do all my leveling with a combination of a Brownells "Scope Horse" scope-to-bore-axis level and the Wheeler Pro Leveling System, but below seems to be an interest product.