Antelope decoy

How many are using a decoy? What has your experience been with it and how far away are you sitting from it?

I've used a few in different places. They seem to work better in lower pressure states/areas. Makes a big difference if you pop it up close to them when they are relaxed and unaware. They see you pull up in a truck and hop out or somewhat aware of your presence, it usually just makes them run away quicker.
I've had the best luck already being set up where I have patterned them, tucked in and pop it up when they are within 200 yards in an area they were traveling to and wanted to be anyways. My experience is all archery, rifle would be different.

Thunder17

FNG
Classified Approved
We used one when we were hunting a small piece of public (90 acres) with water on it. The decoy seemed to keep their attention and relax them so they weren’t as hesitant to come off the private. It worked well in that situation.

OP
Clint.smith
Good to know, definitely a low pressure area as I’ll be the only tag holder. And I’ll be using a rifle also, I’ve used them for elk and it seemed to never help me

What decoy are people using? Been thinking of getting the Montana big red moo cow for my antelope hunt in a couple weeks here in Oregon.

I have had good luck with the AntelopeFan. I have tried the cow decoys with very little success in eastern CO in open ranges where cattle are present, I'm sure they work elsewhere or there'd be no market for them.

I have better luck with the decoy later in the archery season when the rut has picked up and it has pulled bucks in from 600 - 800 yards on a string. Not sure of your circumstances being the only tagholder in your area but I would still be careful using it with a rifle. You never know if some knuckle dragger is out poaching. I tend to attach orange survey tape to my decoy if I am hunting a pressured area and it has never presented an issue with spooking animals.

What decoy are people using? Been thinking of getting the Montana big red moo cow for my antelope hunt in a couple weeks here in Oregon.
I used the heads up antelope decoy mounted to my bow here in Oregon last year... I feel like it kept them calm when I would have otherwise expected to get busted, but I couldn't get any closer than 100 yards on the two stalks I had. I'd attribute that to how green I am, not the decoy. I like the decoy itself, but make sure you really wrench down on the bow attachment otherwise it can be a real headache with the decoy not staying in position.

I got lucky and drew the same tag this year and I'll be giving it another go next weekend with that decoy... I'll post back here if I have any additional feedback. Good luck with your hunt.

Used one last year in NM for a youth hunt. It was ok but i believe an angus cow decoy would have worked better.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Cow decoys suck in my experience. Maybe for a rifle to give someone time to set up, but for archery, antelope will stare holes through it and then take off way before they should. I’ve tried on both public and private and neither worked. Maybe I suck at decoying antelope, so YMMV.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know, definitely a low pressure area as I’ll be the only tag holder. And I’ll be using a rifle also, I’ve used them for elk and it seemed to never help me
You do not need a decoy with a rifle in hand. By the time you are close enough for it to be appropriate to pop up a decoy you can have already killed the lope. Same is true for elk and decoying.

I and lots of guys have had great success with immature buck antelope decoys when spot and stalk bow hunting antelope. Unless you simply do not bow hunt, if you will hunt the antelope rut, knowing you have the lone tag, I would encourage you to try decoying with a bow, it is FUN!!!

Have had great response and success with a decoy in 1st week of august and later more in the full rut. A fun experience a few years ago: Oddly, IMO the buck I killed was very rutty chasing other bucks off his herd of 20 does on August 17th. When 6 does peeled off from 1000 yards away and happened in my direction (I was not decoying, just laying low glassing, he came running out to turn them around. They were at 225 yards when he reached them and I popped up the decoy and he ran right into his demise at 25 yards for an easy bow shot, adrenaline (mine) notwithstanding.

In my experience, when it works, often they come barreling in and then seem to turn and walk broadside eyeballing the decoy once in bow range and give you enough time to sit up, draw and shoot.
Kirby Lope Utah.jpg

Hat745

FNG
Antelope buck decoys only work when the rut is in full swing. When you see the herd bucks chasing off the sattalite bucks. Buck decoys are over rated I have had mine 5 years I have used it twice. Both times with no luck. I have tried them at a water hole. Does don't want to be around a small buck at a water hole and a another buck doesn't want to come into a diffrent bucks territory.Therefore the goats avoid the water.
There is alot of luck involved you have to catch a certain buck when he is just in the right mood. If he is hot he will run over you. If he is not he will either not pay you any attention or get spooky, taking his girls the other way. I shot my buck last year out of a blind on a water hole. That is about the highest percentage of goats shot with a bow.