Another Sleeping Pad Questions

Brado16

WKR
Last year I used a Thermarest Neoair and I was not impressed with the comfort or warmth level of this pad. The biggest problem I encountered was poor nights sleep from tossing and turing because my back or hips would dig right through to the ground. I am not a heavy person (6'1'' and 180Lbs). I am a back sleeper but when sleeping on this pad I feel as though there is not enough support for my lower back and after a few hours, I find myself tossing from my back, to my left side and then to my right side. This last weekend my Fiancé and I car camped and used an inflatable blowup mattress (probably 6'' thick) and I experienced the same restless tossing and turning and back pain. I had been looking at the Thermarest Xtherm and some of the Exped mats with at least a 6R value but my main concern is comfort and support to avoid back issues- I am willing to bring a heavier pad as long as I can get a good night rest- my question is should I be looking at a closed cell mat/pad or any other pads/mats I should take a look at?

PARA1

FNG
I know this may seem overkill but I have learned that by using my old GI foam pad under my Exped I sleep warmer and much more comfortable I just partially unroll my GI pad in my pack and put gear inside it very easy and also helps my pack stabilize a load better. Trust me its worth the extra ounces.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
The most comfortable pad I own is an Exped down mat. 3.5 inches thick with a R value of 8. That being said, I mostly just use a thermarest z-lite foam pad. Comfortable enough. Reliable and I can use it around camp or for glassing without worrying about a puncture.

G

geriggs

Look at nemo Cosmo insulated long wide and big agnes double z insulated or q core long wide insulated. 3.5-4 in pad. I'm 270lbs and a side sleeper. Q core works great.

rt520

FNG
I just bought the BA insulated double z 72x25 and so far I really like it. It's not the lightest pad (26oz) but it is very comfortable. I weigh 220 and sleep on my side mostly, I never feel the ground when sleeping. My only complaint on the pad is it's a little slippery.

Look at nemo Cosmo insulated long wide and big agnes double z insulated or q core long wide insulated. 3.5-4 in pad. I'm 270lbs and a side sleeper. Q core works great.
That mattress with the pad looks to be the nuts, for kayaking. Not sure about backpacking. Has got to be very bulky??

OP
Brado16

Brado16

WKR
Thanks for all the advise so for.

Does anyone have any experience with the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated pad? "Sounds" to be the most similar to a coil bed with the individual cells compared to vertical or horizontal chambers.

G

geriggs

Cosmo and BA q core are similar packing size. I throw it in a med kifaru side pocket no prob

Love my SynMat UL 7 LW. I sleep like a baby and this thing does not deflate. I'm 6' and 205 lb side sleeper and my hips never touch the ground. It has a built in pump but I take my pillow pump for faster airing up.

Steve

FNG
Big Agnes triple core with the storm king 0˚ bag...warm and comfortable.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Tested out the neo air extherm and other new gear in the bighorns last week. Same issues with neoair as Brad 16. The lack of lower back support was uncomfotable. Thought this was gonna be the cat's ass but preferred my old thermal rest pro light. Will be the pro lite and a cheap f 3/4: length foam pad getting the nod from late October till spring. The foam pad seeing use when glassing, etc.

OP
Brado16

Brado16

WKR
Tested out the neo air extherm and other new gear in the bighorns last week. Same issues with neoair as Brad 16. The lack of lower back support was uncomfotable. Thought this was gonna be the cat's ass but preferred my old thermal rest pro light. Will be the pro lite and a cheap f 3/4: length foam pad getting the nod from late October till spring. The foam pad seeing use when glassing, etc.

Does the foam 3/4'' pad really give that much extra support and comfort? Still not sure what route I want to try this year.

kpk

WKR

Does anyone have any experience with the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated pad? "Sounds" to be the most similar to a coil bed with the individual cells compared to vertical or horizontal chambers.

I agree with a few other guys here, I had a neo air for a very short time and went back to using my prolite. I really disliked the neoair. My cousin also had a prolite and just picked up the S2S and said it's much better than the prolite. He doesn't have much time on it yet though.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Brado16, The foam pad is under the inflatable prolite if very cold. If warmer and not sitting on rocks the prolite has been good enough. It is heavier than the neoair.

Sleeping pads and bags are kinda like boots. You have to find what works for you. If I would have dug a trench for my but/hips the neoair might have been good. I have not tried the big Agnes or exped.

Things were simpler when the only option was a foam pad. Still have my 40 year old original...it is probably not biodegradable.

Bails-UK

FNG
Thermarest Z-Lite Sol is my choice and I'd recommend it for any Backcountry Hunting, I've used 3x thermarest inflatable matts and none of them had the comfort or warmth of the foam Z-Lite Sol..... Just saying!

slick

WKR

I have the uninsulated version & have a Zlite Sol to throw underneath it to boost the R value.
I slept on a sleeping pad ALL summer. Just under 90 days, (not always in a tent) I used a BA AirCore but sold that before I left(it was leaky) I bought a Exped Synmat UL 7 MW and had about 20ish nights on it before one of the interior baffles popped. This caused two chambers to come together and form a large hump in the middle of the pad. I wasn't impressed, but had 8 days before I could do anything about it. So I bought a ZLite foam pad for the remaining days. Once I was on the road again and able to get to an REI, I got the S2S uninsulated comfort plus and used that close to 35days until the end of the trip. I really liked it, so much so I convinced my gf to get the S2S Comfort lite insulated.

None of the S2S pads put you off the ground as high as an Exped or Neoair. But they're dang comfy and I don't have to worry about baffles becoming one. Plus if for whatever reason one side pops, there's a second separate chamber to hold up.

Everyone has their favorites. Mine is the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus. Im a finicky sleeper but sleep like a baby on this thing. Its not the lightest as its the biggest most insulated on that S2S make but its an easy trade off since my quilt and shelter is very lightweight. Take a look, REI carry's them so you can go try them out.