Another backcountry layering thread

Most widely accepted layering system is :

Base Layer ( Either merino T-shirt or merino Longsleeve T)
Mid Layer (Kuiu 240 Pelton)
Insulation: (Rab Electron Pro)
Rain gear. (Stone Glacier M5 )

I live in WA state for reference. I'm curious what people do as far as +5 day backcountry hunts. Specifically, their base layer. People bring an extra pair of socks or an extra pair of boxers. Do you bring a extra base layer T-shirt? I know experience plays a huge part in this, hence why i'm asking.

I'm trying to get more confident with the gear that I bring so I can be lighter and more efficient. But I do struggle with the " ohh but I need this."

Specifically considering a hunt that is 4-10 miles worth of hiking to base camp.

Tick

WKR
I only carry an extra pair of socks. No right or wrong. Just personal preference. The 4-10 miles will give you a clear perspective about want or need.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I carry an extra base layer but I sweat alot and like to change every couple days to let the one air out and not be able to smell myself (at least the first day). I use first lite base for reference.

I think that 'Tick's' post is spot on. Last year I went Sheep hunting for 9 days. I read this forum for months and worked on taking only what I needed. Turns out my pack will be lighter this year. The real kicker is when you come out heavy after killing something. Bet that it will be a constant process getting down to just what I need. The only thing that I will have two of this year is socks and ways to start a fire.

Maverick1

WKR
Upper Body:
  • 1 Merino base layer t-shirt, short sleeve
  • 1 Merino base layer t-shirt, long sleeve
  • 1 Insulating layer hoody or jacket (hardly ever gets worn; typically only 2-3 times per trip, while sitting over water hole, sleeping mid-day, or late night at camp)
  • 1 Rain jacket

Lower Body:
  • 1 Merino base layer (hardly ever gets worn, only if sitting at camp or hunting over water hole)
  • 1 Pants
  • 1 Pair underwear
  • 1 Pair merino socks
  • 1 Rain pant
  • 1 Pair shorts (Yes, shorts. I hunt in them all the time. I've gotten a lot of weird looks over the years, but I'm very warm blooded and overheat easily.)

Spare
  • 1 Pair merino socks
  • 1 Pair underwear

This is my clothing system for 7 days. If I am going for more than 7 days (like 10-14 days), I will bring an extra pair of socks and underwear. And that's it. Pretty simple.

(If I plan to restock food after 7 days or relocate to another area of the unit to hunt, I will just swap out all of the clothing listed above for fresh clean sets and go out for the second week.)

At night I sleep in just my underwear. Take off and lay out my boots, socks, pants, and shirts to air dry overnight. Keep my insulating jacket and pants inside the lid of my backpack and use that as a pillow.

BBob

WKR
I'm curious what people do as far as +5 day backcountry hunts.
Sometimes I'll double up on a base upper depending on temps and how high I'm at on altitude. Insulation layer can vary depending on activity or temps.

Base: thinnest Kuiu SS merino upper possibly adding thinnest Kuiu LS upper on top of SS for a bit colder. Lightest merino Kuiu bottoms.
Mid: Kuiu 97 hoody. I never leave home without this in my pack regardless of season.
Active insulation: Arrowhead MDWi hoody. This is more for later season and pretty much never goes early season.
Insulation: Kuiu Ultra down hoody. Always goes.
Rain gear: Kuiu Teton. Not made anymore. They are on the minimalist and light end of the spectrum.
Extra pair of socks? Yes
Extra merino underwear? 5 days and under no, longer yes.

croben

WKR
No extra base layer for me. Just an extra pair of socks and maybe an extra pair of underwear depending on the time of year and time in the woods.