Annealing when Changing caliber

Anneal or not?

• Total voters

WestTN2288

Lil-Rokslider
Question is: should I anneal before forming brass from 6.5 to 22 caliber?

Not really wanting to start the discussion around accuracy, but more concerned with brass stress going from one caliber to another. Brass is mostly new, with about 1/4 being once fired. Going from 6.5 to 6mm to 22 call. Should I anneal prior to conversion or not?

Thanks!

Caseknife

WKR
If it is new brass, don't think it would be necessary, but if it has been worked a few times, your success rate would be better. I just formed 338 federal from new Hornady brass by expanding to .321 and then .338. Used a nylon bore brush and good sizing wax in the neck, didn't lose a case, all turned out perfect. Necking down may be a different beast though.

DaveCB

FNG
I would anneal. the brass has seen some work hardening, It would help to be more consent.
Use a good sizing lube. Imperial wax is very good. When the brass shrinks at the neck you will have heavy neck and form a donut at the base of the neck shoulder junction.
i would keep the once fired brass ant the new separated.

If its brand new brass, it shouldnt need it, but it wouldnt hurt. If you are doing multiple steps, and 6.5 to 22 would warrant a few passes, then it wouldn't hurt to anneal between each step.

The last big project I did was to form 6.5 Lapua cases into 6GT. I did all that without annealing, but that was with Lapua cases. If I was using a lesser quality case, I would probably have annealed more often during the process.

Timgunner

FNG
I would anneal the cases. Though I anneal everything now since I got an AMP. It is just another way to make sure consistency is maintained during the reloading process. If you think of it in this way, you are only going to size those cases down one time. They will never have that same stress again. If you don’t anneal them they will be different every firing. The annealing done correctly realigns the grain structure of the brass making the necks the same for each firing instead of changing in hardness each time.