Angled or Straight Spotting Scope

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I'm deep in the rabbit hole of purchasing a good spotting scope for the range. I've really been honed in on a 773 but can't seem to find one however there seem to be plenty 774's available. I'm thinking about purchasing a 774 wanted to ask advise before pulling the trigger.

Thanks in advance for any input

hiker270

WKR
I prefer angled. I have both angled and straight and never grab the straight one anymore.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both, and currently run a straight spotter (554). Really depends on your intended use, as there are benefits either way you go.

I'm an angled guy. I feel like it is personal preference though. Also depends on how you use it. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Play around with both if you can and see which one you like better.

BBob

WKR
I've owned both for long periods of time. Overall I've found straight to be easier to use for all conditions. If you're glassing from low to high the most often then angled and straight for high to low. If you hunt mixed terrain with no clear up or down bias I'd still pick straight.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I like angled, more comfortable, better digiscoping angle, can use a shorter tripod, but...I'm converting back to straight after watching @Travis Hobbs save critical seconds in switching from bino to spotter more than a few times (don't have to adjust column) and I glass from the truck alot so straight is better for that (don't have to sit on a pillow)

I like angled, more comfortable, better digiscoping angle, can use a shorter tripod, but...I'm converting back to straight after watching @Travis Hobbs save critical seconds in switching from bino to spotter more than a few times (don't have to adjust column) and I glass from the truck alot so straight is better for that (don't have to sit on a pillow)

Just swapped mine out for a straight for this exact reason. The new Kowa 66 is dynamite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
Can we get a pro/con list for both? I'm in the market for my first spotter and trying to figure out if I'd like an angled or straight version. Fully extended with all of the attachments my tripod will hit me just under the eye standing.

OP
NCStaccato
There is a 774 with tripod on this form for sale but I can't respond to the seller. Guess I have to wait 6 more days and 5 more post. Hope its still there.

Thanks for all the input.

huntnful

WKR
Straight for swapping back and forth from binos. You can always glass behind it for extended periods without a problem also.

huntnful

WKR
There is a 774 with tripod on this form for sale but I can't respond to the seller. Guess I have to wait 6 more days and 5 more post. Hope its still there.

Thanks for all the input.
I will message him and purchase it for you if you'd like or send him your info?

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I have been putting the straight spotter on the tripod, them resting my binos on top of the spotter, makes for a very quick transition. I could see an angled spotter getting in the way with this, but might be worth a try.