Anchor question

huntingnt

FNG
Just getting back into bowhunting. I used to shoot traditional so I'm having to relearn a lot of technique moving to a compound.
One of the biggest problems I'm running into is finding a proper rear anchor. When I shot traditional I shot 3 fingers under and my anchor point were my index fingerin the corner of my mouth and my thumb knuckle under the corner of my jawbone.
Right now I'm running a trigger release and I'm touching the side of my nose for the front anchor but can't seem to find a good solid rear anchor.
Is there something I'm missing? Should I move to a thumb release? Would that change my front anchor?
Hope to hear soon.
Thanks

Marble

WKR
Just getting back into bowhunting. I used to shoot traditional so I'm having to relearn a lot of technique moving to a compound.
One of the biggest problems I'm running into is finding a proper rear anchor. When I shot traditional I shot 3 fingers under and my anchor point were my index fingerin the corner of my mouth and my thumb knuckle under the corner of my jawbone.
Right now I'm running a trigger release and I'm touching the side of my nose for the front anchor but can't seem to find a good solid rear anchor.
Is there something I'm missing? Should I move to a thumb release? Would that change my front anchor?
Hope to hear soon.
Thanks
It's hard to say where exactly you'll find that spot on your face/jaw for your anchor. It's easier for me to teach people to use the tip of their nose instead of the side, their peep and a 3rd spot that is to be determined based on your release type.

I dont like using the side of the nose for a few reasons. One, I don't think you can be as consistent when using the side vs using the tip and two, I want as little side pressure on my string as possible. It seems insignificant but that slight pressure on the string to the side causes torque in the string. The danger when using the tip is pushing it too hard into the string. This also is problematic.

IME, if I can get people to get a proper and comfortable anchor, and then get them to repeat it and understand why they are doing what they are doing, they will have more success.

If you use a handheld, an easy reference point for you is splitting the jaw line with the knuckles. Usually between the index and middle finger.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
For an index release anchor, I always hook my thumb behind jaw bone, string at the corner of my mouth, and just touch the tip of my nose to the string. I've seen some people get wild with their thumb tucked all the way behind their neck, but hooked on the jaw bone has always worked for me.

I use the tip of my nose, pins centered in peep, and pointer finger knuckle at back of my jaw under my ear.
This^^^

String angle can play a role and definitely having the correct draw length set up. But what TxxAgg describes works for me. I have a 29” dl, 6” brace height and I run a very short d-loop on a 32” axle to axle bow.

OP
H

huntingnt

FNG
This^^^

String angle can play a role and definitely having the correct draw length set up. But what TxxAgg describes works for me. I have a 29” dl, 6” brace height and I run a very short d-loop on a 32” axle to axle bow.
Does that put you against the wall with draw length. Did you have to change your peep for a thumb release?

Does that put you against the wall with draw length. Did you have to change your peep for a thumb release?
Everything is perfect on my D350. Actually I think it’s a little over 29” dl. I shoot a trigger release. My peep is a String Splitter peep that I absolutely love!

Marble

WKR
Being "against the wall" is what every draw length should set a shooter to be in.

Whenever you make a major change like changing release types, it can have an affect on everything. Most likely the draw length and peep position will change. The bow will also need to be sighted in again.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If I move to a thumb release do you use a kisser button?

I use a thumb release, no kisser button. I do use a nose button on 2 of my bows and just touch the tip of my nose to the string on my other bow.

I anchor by putting the spot where my pointer and middle finger attach to my hand on the corner of my jawbone, one finger above and one below my jaw. Then touch the tip of my nose to either the nose button or the string.

A lot of the time peep height will need to change when switching from an index finger to a thumb release.

bootstrap

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a thumb trigger release several years ago. As several others have said changes are needed for proper peep/sight alignment.

As for anchor, middle knuckle behind the jaw at the bottom of my ear lobe tip of my nose just touching the string.