An etiquette question

What's your setup and what does it weigh? I want to find something worth carrying for grouse when muzzy hunting with the family. I usually shoot them with my bow, but this year I didn't have a tag and wasn't carrying it.
I have a Ruger MKIV 22/45 with a Silencerco Spectre II. I put it in an Uncle Mikes cordura large frame revolver holster and hang it off my left side of my bino harness. It is set up like a cross draw. So far its worked out pretty well for me.

Shucks... I've busted out the .44 when the elk hunting was slow and we busted a covey of blue grouse. Head shooting those suckers with iron sights will make you focus on your trigger work, that's for sure!

JPD350

WKR
I stopped and talked to a grouse hunter this year in Colo, he had already killed some birds off the logging road I was going in on, I had asked him about if he's seen any elk around and what he might know about elk in that area, it was a good conversation, it ended with me mentioning where I had seen some more birds while scouting.
I also ran into a guy and his wife, the wife had a bear tag, I told them where I had seen a big bear a couple days earlier, she was packing a bad ass 44 mag!! also a good conversation.

Anyway, it's healthy not be so uptight and angry about things that you have no moral high ground to stand on.

I have had bad experiences as well,
One time in NM I was hiking into an area that the road was supposed to be closed, in NM we don't actually close the road they just say it's closed, no enforcement. Pitch black morning (5 am) I see headlights flashing on the hills and they are getting closer, I start hearing dogs barking and the dogs are way ahead of the headlights. Apparently I must have stepped in some fresh bear scat because the dogs are bearing down on me, I whip out an arrow and backed myself against a big ponderosa, it's pitch black and I have 4 or 5 dogs circling and barking at me. 5 minutes later 2 trucks show up and 5 or 6 guys get out and a couple of them get the dogs and kennel them. The other guys start verbal assaulting me and threatening to kick my ass for messing their dogs up, I still had an arrow in my hand so no one was actually coming forward, I just started backing up and I left into the darkness.

There is no doubt that having overlapping and different types of hunts at the same time can cause some real jacked up scenarios, best if we try and keep those types of scenarios diffused.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
what about hikers enjoying a peak? had some come up to me as i was getting my shotgun out and putting my rifle away during fall bear. I told them I saw some grouse and planned to have them for dinner. shot 3 about 200' away from where they were taking in the scenery. I think i ruined their peaceful hike. part of the overlap on public land.

TaperPin

WKR
In
what about hikers enjoying a peak? had some come up to me as i was getting my shotgun out and putting my rifle away during fall bear. I told them I saw some grouse and planned to have them for dinner. shot 3 about 200' away from where they were taking in the scenery. I think i ruined their peaceful hike. part of the overlap on public land.
In our family if a kid knowingly took a shot only 60 yards from someone, you would loose your shooting privledges for the rest of the year. If an adult kid did it, they wouldn’t be invited to hunt with the family that year.

Our expectations are apparently higher than yours.

svivian

WKR
In

In our family if a kid knowingly took a shot only 60 yards from someone, you would loose your shooting privledges for the rest of the year. If an adult kid did it, they wouldn’t be invited to hunt with the family that year.

Our expectations are apparently higher than yours.
It helps to understand the words you read.

The hikers approached him, he gave them his intentions. They chose to stick around

Also I don’t think anyone on this forum would have any problems not hunting with you ;)

The Guide

WKR
Went hunting with my buddy and his family. Was 4 adults, 2 youth hunters, and 2 youth non hunters (too young). Walked up a closed dead end road and with the group and got into a bunch of blues and ruffed grouse. Shot over a dozen with shotguns (12, 20, and 410), 22LR, and air rifles. While we were shooting a bull was bugleing and chuckling the whole time.

While we cleaned birds and cooked supper for the kids, my buddy walked up the road about 400 yards to the next big clearing and made a few cow calls. Had 2 different bulls come in to the calls while the herd bull kept making noise. Took a shot on one at 35 yards that took off. He marked the shot location and the place where the bull was standing and came back and got us. We searched high and low for blood but couldn't find anything. I had him take me back to the shot location and walk me through the shot. He is a fair bit shorter than me so I had him stand in front of me and redo the shot as I sat on the hill behind him and looked Where he shot. Spotted his arrow stuck in a tree 30 yards past where he shot. We found that he had miss judged the distance and shot over the bulls back. The arrow was clean but the broadhead was stuck in the tree forever. Meanwhile, the girls found a few more grouse and shot them and the herd bull kept bugleing while we looked for the arrow or blood. The shotgun blasts from 400 yards away in the forest were very muted and sounded like rifle shots from several miles away. I don't think grouse hunting has as much effect on elk as people think. Would those same archery hunters be mad at a mountain biker on their trail or a hiker out for a walk about? It is public recreation on public lands. Want some exclusivity? Lease a ranch and make it your private hunting preserve.

Jay

TaperPin

WKR
It helps to understand the words you read.

The hikers approached him, he gave them his intentions. They chose to stick around

Also I don’t think anyone on this forum would have any problems not hunting with you
We’re the fun kids everyone wants to hang out with :)

parshal

WKR
You should see the reactions from the hikers when hunting ptarmigan and grouse. This time of year is the fall colors and the mountains are more busy than usual with hikers. It ranges from horror that someone has a gun to people saying the dogs must be on leash. LOL

Poser

WKR
You should see the reactions from the hikers when hunting ptarmigan and grouse. This time of year is the fall colors and the mountains are more busy than usual with hikers. It ranges from horror that someone has a gun to people saying the dogs must be on leash. LOL

Go marmot hunting some time and see what kind of reactions you get....