American Express question

Question for those with an Amex card, specifically the blue but I’m guessing that part doesn’t matter.

When you make a purchase, does it show up instantly on your balance due? Or does it wait until the transaction has been processed to show up?

My citi double cash card that I have currently waits until it’s been processed. which is a seemingly random amount of time and it drives me crazy.

My old chase card showed up instantly. And I could pay it off instantly, or next day at the latest if I remember correctly.

I don’t care if it makes me wait to pay it off until the transaction has been processed, but I just want the pending balance to be accurate and up to date as soon as I use it. Does Amex’s system fit this?

jahaze

FNG
My Amex show it pending within a few minutes. It may take a day or more to be final, it depends on how soon the store/restaurant processes it on their end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
Nearly positive if it’s pending the balance isn’t showing it yet. Had an AMEX for about 15 years.

OP
JPeters218
Haha well that didn’t help. 1st response is what I’m looking for. 2nd response is exactly what I don’t want

jahaze

FNG
Don't know what to say, mine shows as pending immediately after I use it (just paid for lunch). I use the Amex Delta reserve card..

Tahoe1305

WKR
Don't know what to say, mine shows as pending immediately after I use it (just paid for lunch). I use the Amex Delta reserve card..

Mine too. Says pending. But not included in balance. I think that is what he is asking.

I think this actually makes sense and is more normal than not. Many double charges, holds, etc, that pend but never actual post. I wouldn’t want those in my balance personally b

OP
JPeters218
Mine too. Says pending. But not included in balance. I think that is what he is asking.
Yea this is right. My old chase card showed me a pending balance, but when I’d click make payment, it would only let me pay what’s been processed. Thats What I’m looking for again. It’s the best of both worlds to me. I know exactly how much I’ve spent, but it only lets me pay what’s already processed

Here is the answer that I think you want to hear

If I run down to buy $500 hunting gear at Cabelas with my Amex, after about 24 hours I can log into my Amex and pay the $500 balance. And immediately it shows a zero balance

And FYI - some Amex cards don’t truly have a defined credit limit - it can fluctuate depending upon what you spend over a period of months.

So if you have an Amex with no predefined spending limit, you won’t ever see a “limit” to know what your ceiling is (how much you have left to spend).

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one that just auto-pays the statement balance monthly? What's the rationale for wanting to pay off charges immediately after they hit?

OP
JPeters218
Am I the only one that just auto-pays the statement balance monthly? What's the rationale for wanting to pay off charges immediately after they hit?
I pay mine off every week or two so I have a more accurate read on what‘s in my checking account. Not to the “buy whatever I want without thinking“ phase yet