Altitude sickness

Pezboat

WKR
I tried the WA supplement. I was really hopeful, but still felt altitude sickness every day. It was probably lessened, but was disappointed.

There’s not much out there that’s been tested/vetted/proven in a scientific way.

Best thing besides prescriptions is slow acclimation.

This Rokcast podcast goes into more detail on what’s out there and effective for prevention and treatment:

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I hang my hat around 14 feet. Front yard is 6 feet. My Kestrel device usually measures negative altitude.

When I go to WY, MT and UT etc. I’m basically on 800mg of ibuprofen per day until I get home.

This regimen works ok but there are still moments where I sigh for no emotional reason and take a deep breath.

They won't hurt, but I wouldn't bank on them. Giving your body time to acclimatize is the best strategy. If you can't spare a day or two to take it easy and acclimatize, acetazolamide (brand name = Diamox) can be a big help.

My hunting buddy used to get severe AMS (acute mountain sickness) every time we went elk hunting above ≈10k feet. He's in great physical condition but would be short of breath with a severe headache and often vomiting. A few years ago, he started taking acetazolamide a few days before the hunt then tapered off during the hunt and hasn't had any AMS symptoms. Be careful to stay hydrated and keep electrolyte levels up while on acetazolamide.

These two podcasts have good additional info on the topic:

ColeyG

WKR
Supplements and proper hydration and nutrition help by giving your body a healthy, well functioning platform to start from, but don't actually have any physiological effect on the acclimatization process, which is basically building more red blood cells.

Time at altitude, and/or the well researched and understood pharmaceuticals that aid in acclimatization and treat altitude illness are your best bets.

AKDoc

WKR
Not all circumstances of altitude gain are equal and there are different levels of altitude sickness...it is a serious concern. Talk with your primary care provider about individual circumstances, risk factors, concerns/questions, and pros/cons of different prevention options regarding altitude sickness.

As one example (perhaps extreme), we live at sea level. My wife and I took a trip to see Machu Picchu. We flew nonstop from Lima, Peru (sea level) to Cusco (over 11,000 ft elevation) where we stayed for several days/nites for our visit...no time to slowly acclimate. We made an informed decision in advance (a no-brainer for us) and took a prescribed medication for prevention of altitude sickness...we had a great time with no problems.

Edit: I'll add that I did notice having a reduced appetite, and we intentionally refrained from drinking alcohol...although before leaving Cusco I did enjoy a pint of Guinness at the highest elevation Irish-owned pub in the world, "Paddy's Irish Pub".

Last edited:
OP
H

Huntmore1

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I live at sea level, and a few years back went on a hunt in Colorado stayed in Denver one night, then went and camped around 10000 and had a rough night. I had Symptoms of altitude induced sleep apnea, I don't have sleep apnea at home. I was able to go back down to around 8500 and was fine. I have a similar hunt coming up and don't want a repeat .

Get to your hunt area as early as possible before your hunt to help acclimate. Don't over exert yourself the first day or two if that's possible. Stay hydrated avoiding alcohol and caffeine. If your urine is dark yellow, you are not drinking enough water. I use the Wilderness Athlete Hydrate & Recover, and use it in a Camelbak system while hunting. I also take the Altitude Advantage. I "think" they help, so I will keep using it.
If the feelings of altitude are starting to get severe, reduce your elevation (You said you did that and it helped). It's always good to sleep at a lower altitude than where you hunt if possible.
One of the side effects of the prescription altitude medications is they cause dehydration which is not what you want, but if it saves your hunt, it is easy enough to offset the dehydration by drinking more fluids, especially with electrolytes. Check into LMNT for hydration too, it's a powder that you add to your water, and will help replace lost electrolytes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I live at sea level, and a few years back went on a hunt in Colorado stayed in Denver one night, then went and camped around 10000 and had a rough night. I had Symptoms of altitude induced sleep apnea, I don't have sleep apnea at home. I was able to go back down to around 8500 and was fine. I have a similar hunt coming up and don't want a repeat .
That podcast goes into the details of elevation gradients, how long it takes to acclimate, etc. worth a listen if you have had it before; having it in the past is the main risk factor for having it again. AMS sucks bad..

OP
H

Huntmore1

FNG
That podcast goes into the details of elevation gradients, how long it takes to acclimate, etc. worth a listen if you have had it before; having it in the past is the main risk factor for having it again. AMS sucks bad..
I'll give it a listen thanks!

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
Go to your doctor’s office and get a prescription of Diamox. I take this every time I head to the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
I think most people's problems at altitude are just the result of going to hard at it too fast. When you are at altitude it's important to hydrate and pre hydrate, skip the booze on the trip, and then most importantly walk at a pace where you can maintain a conversation without having to stop to catch your breath or gasp for air. You might feel like you are walking at a snails pace and that you will not be covering enough ground but you are never going to beat an elk to the top of a mountain nor catch a moving herd.

Acharenio

FNG
Very interesting thread, going to hike the Inca trail next year and I need it info, this is great, I’m going to try hiking a couple of months prior here in flagstaff and the spend 3 days in Cuzco at 11k and I think I should be acclimated by then.

I think most people's problems at altitude are just the result of going to hard at it too fast. When you are at altitude it's important to hydrate and pre hydrate, skip the booze on the trip, and then most importantly walk at a pace where you can maintain a conversation without having to stop to catch your breath or gasp for air. You might feel like you are walking at a snails pace and that you will not be covering enough ground but you are never going to beat an elk to the top of a mountain nor catch a moving herd.
It’s a little more than that, but to your point being in great shape actually confers slightly higher risk of AMS. Probably because guys are more used to/comfortable pushing themselves which accelerates the respiratory alkalosis.

In general some folks acid/base balance is just not as quick or adaptable to big changes in altitude.

That being said some level of altitude sickness is guaranteed when you go very high and fast—part of the reason for stages ascents on the famous mountains of the world.

You either get it, or you dont.
I’ve taken ultra fit jujutsu champions on high county hikes that almost killed them from the altitude and they lived at 7k.
Water, no booze, beetroot juice.
You either get it, or you don’t.
There’s no magic.