Altitude sickness question

Bluefish

WKR
Having lived at 7400 ft for 20+ years, it’s not always predictable on what happens. Sometimes it’s fine, the next time it might not be. Everyone gets out of breath, the difference is how fast you recover. If you are in good shape it’s less of an issue.

I talked to one doctor who said part of the issue is that the spinal fluid moves due to the change in pressure. No real way to prevent it. I have never heard anyone else discuss this part of altitude sickness, so it may not be all that accurate.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I live at 5000' and last year I went up two days early and camped at 10,000 ' or so and felt miserable. Couldn't eat but half my dinner. Actually forced myself to eat, then drank a cup of coffee and felt a little better but the wind was howling from probably 40-50 MPH and snowing grapple stuff. Overall the weather made things worse and maybe my back pain meds I was on before my surgery didn't help iether but I ended up heading into my tent at 5 pm and not coming out until the next morning at 7 am. But I felt fine then. I camped at the same place the year before and felt fine so it was strange for me to experience that. I would prepare for the worst case scenario and how the weather plays into it and if you are on any other meds. Another guy (from PA) last year was rushed down the mountain around 11:00 pm due to altitude sickness and throwing up. It's no fun for sure. Happy hunting and hope you find a solution that works for you.

kpk

WKR
Having lived at 7400 ft for 20+ years, it’s not always predictable on what happens. Sometimes it’s fine, the next time it might not be. Everyone gets out of breath, the difference is how fast you recover. If you are in good shape it’s less of an issue.

This has been my experience as well, same for a few guys I know that have been going west for something like 30 years. Some years barely notice anything - others I simply can't catch my breath. Biggest thing that's helped me is to really focus on taking deep breaths and to take a break as soon as you start to get winded.

Bluefish

WKR
This has been my experience as well, same for a few guys I know that have been going west for something like 30 years. Some years barely notice anything - others I simply can't catch my breath. Biggest thing that's helped me is to really focus on taking deep breaths and to take a break as soon as you start to get winded.
If going uphill for a while and at higher altitude, the “rest” step is the trick. Used by mountain climbers you straighten your leg at each step. This causes a slight pause and you walk slower but don’t get out of breath. Also sharp exhale on each breath helps.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I've never worried about it much, then last year I helped a buddy with a draw tag. The first night we hiked up to 11,500 and camped 6 miles from our truck. He was hurting pretty bad getting up there so I set up camp and we went to bed. Woke up in the middle of the night to him vomiting. I felt a little queasy to, but once I drank some water was I thankfully fine. We got him electrolytes, food, and he put on his puffy pants and jacket to warm up.

He felt like crap the next day but was fine after that. It was a scary in the moment and I will never do that again. I've gotten away with it too many times and I feel like last year was my warning. Give yourself an extra day to acclimate at a little lower elevation!

Has anyone hear tried bringing supplemental oxygen to treat symptoms?
1st time we went we had a bottle. Brother worked at a hospital and was able to get some along with a bunch of nasal cannula. It did help. we would take a good hit in the evenings and slept better. I went from 700 feet to 10k+ in one shot and had a slight headache. I also take Ginko Biloba a few days prior to going up and it seem to help. May just be the placebo effect.

We went snowboarding/skiing at Wolf creek. We stayed in Pagosa Springs, but my wife got really sick at 10800 feet and pretty much just stayed in town after that. I "had to" cut my boarding short and stayed with her in town the last day of the trip. Glad I just picked up day passes each day.

I guess Ive just been lucky so far, but we hunted at well over 12k last fall, and even some of our elk spots are that high. Other than that headache the first time up, Ive not had an issue, but I really hydrate and take the ginko. We lay off alcohol for the first several days too.

lngbstr

FNG
Years ago I lived in Co, around 8K, and never had an issue when I went up higher to hunt. Now I'm in AZ and take Acetazolamide every year two days before heading up to high elevations and have been fine every time. I learned to take it after that one year when I didn't and suffered with headaches for a few days. To me its an easy insurance policy.

EdP

WKR
If you have read about altitude sickness than you know it is highly unpredictable and medical science has not solved that riddle. Acclimation is the best preventative if you can take the time to do it. Altitudes below 7000ft are of no consequence. You must get above 7000 to achieve any acclimation of significance.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I live at sea level basically, 250ft, and will be hunting between 8K and 10K come November. I plan on getting there 2 days before the hunt to help get acclimated. Will be staying at 6K. Even though this isn't as high as what the OP is doing I still plan on taking Diamox once I get there. Better safe than sorry. When i was in the Army back in the mid 80's I made the mistake of giving blood the day before a group of us headed to Mt. Shasta to climb it. Young and dumb for sure. We stayed at 7000 for the night and then headed out in the morning. Got to 10000ft and thats when the headache started. At about 13K if I looked up and it felt like my brain was rolling to the back of my head. Not fun at all. We made the summit and then back down to 7000 and I didn't start feeling better until the next day. I don't get to go to any kind of real elevation much at all. So I'll definitely be taking Diamox this November.

jesco88

FNG
I'd recommend sticking to the basics, take it easy the first day or two. Try to get a good amount of sleep. Eat what you normally eat, plan ahead of time.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve lived at 3500 to 5000 feet, but the first couple days above 8,000 feet I can’t sleep. I just toss and turn. I started taking diamox 2 years ago and it solved my problem. This year in less than 48 hours I went from 3,500 feet to 16,000 feet without any issues. The other people in my group all had altitude sickness to varying degrees. The only side effect I get is a slight tingle in my hands.

Also my health insurance has either covered it fully or it’s cost less than $7.

YMMV

I’ve lived at 3500 to 5000 feet, but the first couple days above 8,000 feet I can’t sleep. I just toss and turn. I started taking diamox 2 years ago and it solved my problem. This year in less than 48 hours I went from 3,500 feet to 16,000 feet without any issues. The other people in my group all had altitude sickness to varying degrees. The only side effect I get is a slight tingle in my hands.

Also my health insurance has either covered it fully or it’s cost less than $7.

YMMV
Yup. If I am spending time above 10k, I am taking diamoxx.

dusky

FNG
If you're fine at 10k, you're probably ok at 12k. But, I will say that I start to notice effects at 11k and above - looser stool, wear down easier... 1st time I ever went that high I thought I had a stomach bug or flu. Now I live at 5k and get up to 10k and above for only a few days each year since my hunting is mostly at 8-9.5k. I still notice those effects above 12k, but they're manageable. I like backups though and pills are light so why not have something just in case? Best to go slowly, acclimate, and drink loads of water.

I've taken Diamox 3 times and never had a problem. I live at 500 ft, so last time (2020) I spent a night at about 7K and then went into a wall camp at 11.3K. I was winded, but didn't have any sickness. Killed a nice 6x5 bull on the 3rd day.

For the kind if transition OP is talking about and sleeping that high too, I'd take it. I started taking it 48 hrs prior.