Alterra Carbon Tikka Stock

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with this stock? Thinking about getting one for my tikka. I really like the looks of it. I have small hands, curious if it is difficult to reach the trigger. It looks like the vert grip is swept back a bit more than most stocks. I’m also curious why they don’t cut the pillars themselves when you buy a stock. Seems like tikka machines things tight enough where you shouldn’t have to cut/fit your own pillars in the stock. I don’t mind installing them, but having to cut them seems odd.

NSI

WKR
Thanks for the tag. Here's my review thread, but feel free to AMA.

-J

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
@NSI has one and I think he had allterra bed it. I almost got one but then the rokstock happened so I'm holding out.
Wonder if allterra would cut the pillars
Thanks for the tag. Here's my review thread, but feel free to AMA.

-J
solid review. Thanks!

I have two on my tikkas. I love them. Both of mine were bedded at alterra (expensive). They are a good middle ground between long range oriented and good offhand, kneeling, etc. The comb design is excellent for spotting impacts and preventing muzzle rise which was my biggest reason for buying them. Currently there are no other options for tikka that really do this, and it is a HUGE benefit. KRG bravo is close but way heavier and I don’t like the asthmatics as much (I do have one on a dedicated range 6.5 creedmoor).

The grip could be better for dedicated long range..the reach to the trigger is too long. That’s about the only thing I would consider a negative with these stocks.

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I have two on my tikkas. I love them. Both of mine were bedded at alterra (expensive). They are a good middle ground between long range oriented and good offhand, kneeling, etc. The comb design is excellent for spotting impacts and preventing muzzle rise which was my biggest reason for buying them. Currently there are no other options for tikka that really do this, and it is a HUGE benefit. KRG bravo is close but way heavier and I don’t like the asthmatics as much (I do have one on a dedicated range 6.5 creedmoor).

The grip could be better for dedicated long range..the reach to the trigger is too long. That’s about the only thing I would consider a negative with these stocks.
That’s good to hear overall. The only other stock I’ve seen recently that seems to have potential is the peak 44 blacktooth. I’ve handled them on the weatherby backcountry 2.0 and they seem nice. No shooting experience with them tho.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anyone have experience with this stock? Thinking about getting one for my tikka. I really like the looks of it. I have small hands, curious if it is difficult to reach the trigger. It looks like the vert grip is swept back a bit more than most stocks. I’m also curious why they don’t cut the pillars themselves when you buy a stock. Seems like tikka machines things tight enough where you shouldn’t have to cut/fit your own pillars in the stock. I don’t mind installing them, but having to cut them seems odd.

5 years ago the Alterra was about the best option for a Tikka available. However, it has some weird geometry mainly in the grip angle and shape causing a long trigger reach and an odd wrist angle that isn’t quite right. Those things cause a feeling of the LOP being short, but is due to the grip to recoil pad distance. As well, while functional the forend is oddly shaped. This has been the feeling and conclusions of nearly everyone I know that has put real use on the Alterra.

At the current ridiculous price for them, and that you must send them your action to bed it, and in comparison to the Stocky’s VG, I would not buy an Alterra. The Stocky’s VG while not having a negative comb, is a parallel comb. It has a true vertical grip even if a long trigger reach as well, has a more comfortable forend, and in shooting controls recoil and muzzle rise well- better than one would think.

Macintosh

WKR
I just bought one used, havent had time to use it a ton but definitely have some first impressions after carrying it a couple days. Have to say I have a different perspective than Form on this one.

I had previously purchased a stockys vertical grip and sold it to buy this one, mainly because the grip-to-comb junction on the stockys is too square and prevented getting a comfortable thumb wrap when carrying the gun at ready—for me it was bad enough to be a deal breaker.
Agree with above feedback on the alterra grip to trigger distance being on the long side—by my measurement its 2 1/8”, maybe a smidge more. Its only a tiny bit longer than the oem stock I think, and I believe is almost exactly the same as the stocky’s VG, as well as several other guns I have. I have big hands, and the grip is a fairly forgiving shape in this regard so its not a big deal for me, but I could see how some would find it too long. I thinknif folks find it long it is probably the location of the palm swell more so than the distance from the trigger to the grip itself. I actually notice it more working the safety than I do on the trigger.
Other than that, its by far the best tikka stock I have found for the way I hunt. The butt and comb geometry is great under recoil. The grip itself I think is quite good for a crossover stock that will get carried at the ready a lot—to me this is a more versatile grip than most of the true “vertical grip” stocks Ive used, and I havent noticed anything resembling an awkward angle to it. I find it very similar in “verticality” to the oem stock with vertical grip added. The comb is high enough, whereas I find the oem stock too low. I like the forend. Its got a subtle widening to it, with a fairly flat bottom. Its meaty feeling but I dont find it noticeable shooting it, nor is it obnoxious visually. Mine is 13.5” and I typically shoot a 14” rifle. This works fine at 13.5, I will probably switch the pad out for a thicker one, but have not found that it feels shorter than it measures.
Overall, my uses may vary from others, and consequently some things that I like others may not. If someone was looking for a dual-purpose rifle stock that is equally at home in the woods for still-hunting type stuff, as it is for hunting in more open country, I havent found one I like better.

Last edited:
OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
5 years ago the Alterra was about the best option for a Tikka available. However, it has some weird geometry mainly in the grip angle and shape causing a long trigger reach and an odd wrist angle that isn’t quite right. Those things cause a feeling of the LOP being short, but is due to the grip to recoil pad distance. As well, while functional the forend is oddly shaped. This has been the feeling and conclusions of nearly everyone I know that has put real use on the Alterra.

At the current ridiculous price for them, and that you must send them your action to bed it, and in comparison to the Stocky’s VG, I would not buy an Alterra. The Stocky’s VG while not having a negative comb, is a parallel comb. It has a true vertical grip even if a long trigger reach as well, has a more comfortable forend, and in shooting controls recoil and muzzle rise well- better than one would think.
I appreciate the feedback. I will look at the stockys vg. Have you had any hands on experience with the peak 44 blacktooth stock yet?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I appreciate the feedback. I will look at the stockys vg. Have you had any hands on experience with the peak 44 blacktooth stock yet?

Yes. The comb and recoil pad height isn’t nearly as high as it appears in pictures, and not what it should be. The rest of the stock design mostly the same as others. There have been several threads that go into some detail about stock design- the Stocky’s thread, the ROKstock, and a thread about chassis versus stocks.

ElPollo

WKR
I was considering an Alterra stock back in about 2020 during their first iteration. By the time they became available with the second gen, Alterra added pillars and other things that increased the weight of the stock by about a half pound and increased the price substantially so I passed.

I do have a Blacktooth and will echo what Form says and add to it. It is a negative comb but it’s not very high. While you get a slight benefit of the comb moving away from your cheek in recoil, you don’t get significantly reduced muzzle rise from it. The fore stock also tapers vertically towards the tip and the toe line drops towards the rear both of which aren’t ideal for staying in the scope through recoil while shooting over a bag or a rest. Although the stock is quite stiff, the shell on the Blacktooth also seems a bit thinner than Stocky’s products despite the fact that the Stocky’s offerings are about the same weight. Peak 44 does not recommend adding pic or arca rails to the fore end on the Blacktooth and says it will violate the warranty. I’ve also found that the thin shell results in the sling swivels coming loose if you use a sling. I do find the trigger reach to be better on the Blacktooth than on Stocky’s VG Hunter. But otherwise I find the VG Hunter to be a better stock all around than the Blacktooth. The VG is stiffer, has a higher comb, a straighter forend and toe line, and it does not require bedding. My only complaint with the VG is the trigger reach being a little too long for me. I will either add material to the front of the grip or I will replace it with a RokStock when they become available. I don’t have any issues with the grip shape for carrying it as Macintosh reports above. Other than the trigger reach, the VG Hunter is, in my opinion, the best stock currently available for the Tikka.

That’s good to hear overall. The only other stock I’ve seen recently that seems to have potential is the peak 44 blacktooth. I’ve handled them on the weatherby backcountry 2.0 and they seem nice. No shooting experience with them tho.
I should add that my uncle has the stockys vertical grip stock. It’s also good at recoil control, not quite as good for me. The grip feels better on prone shots but not as natural feeling for me on offhand/mixed positions. Personal preference on the grip and they’re pretty close in function.

Probably will order a few of the rokstock to directly compare

PNWGATOR

WKR
My advice would be to wait for the RokStock. The Altera was ‘good’, but the RokStok is a superior design.