Alternative to Kodiak Canvas for car camping

Looking for a car camping tent for a family of four with stand up room that can handle weather a little better than your typical Coleman cabin tent. I don't have a truck or a big car, so space is at a premium. I'd prefer something that packs up smaller than a Kodiak Canvas, Springbar, etc. So far I've looked at the REI Base Camp 6 and the Marmot Halo 6. Any other suggestions?

mtbn

FNG
After a fair amount of research, I just bought a MSR Habitude 6. Mainly for daughter and I horse packing. Stand up height, vestibule for saddles etc. under 14# and good reviews in bad weather. On sale now for $420.

You could get a seek outside tipi. Something like an 8 man would probably do the job. Then you have the wood stove for cold nights. Extremely packable, capable, and lightweight.

LitenFast

WKR
I’ve got a Kodiak and a Big Agnes Spicer Peak 6. The BA is a much smaller package and lighter too. We’ve used it on 3 family trips so far and it seems like a good option. It’s fairly robust. I’m 6’4” and can stand up in it. We’ve slept our family of 5 in it with me and my wife each on Coleman cots. It fits but it’s tight. I think it’d be a good option for a family of 4. So far it has held up to a few windy nights and a bit of rain. I wouldn’t be concerned unless you’d get some pretty serious weather come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Have had the Big Agnus CRUSHED by snow and CRUSHED by wind truck camping.

Not recommended. Make a smarter choice.

1). Seriously, a good roof rack.
2). The new 2 pole Argali tent.
3). I would have said the Cabela's Outback Lodge, but they are no longer making it.The

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I would check out the REI Wonderland tents. I have the previous version (Kingdom) and have had a good experience with it. It is tall, so more comfortable, but also more susceptible to wind than their basecamp tent, but you can guy it out and stake it well if you are concerned about wind. Great headroom and ventilation, packs down into a backpack carrier.

OP
C
Thanks everyone. After all this, I think we're gonna get a Kodiak Flex-Bow. It just seems like it does what I need it to do, and I will deal with the bulk and weight.

Marshfly

WKR
I love my 10x14 Flex-bow. Huge inside and super fast to put up for what it is. I would encourage you to order from Competitive Edge. Amazing customer service not to mention the owner does a fantastic job of reviewing and showing the features/differences between models on their Youtube channel.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I was out at Oshkosh last week and the folks camping by the planes by far the most popular was the North Face Wawona 6. Huge vestibule. I’ve seen it as cheap as $350 new online. 20lbs and packs pretty small. We got hit by some decent storms and the few I talked to said it was great.

Wheels

WKR
The Kodiak Canvas tent really doesn't take up that much space when folded up, but you have 2 things to pack with the tent and poles. It is a great tent though.

Firehawk

WKR
My Kodiak Flex Bow 10x14 has been soo good for so many years. The bulk and weight is real, but I love how sturdy, spacious and simple to set up it is. I bought the Vestibule for it and use it about 1/2 the time. Depends on how long I plan on staying ultimately.

This past week, I bought a 12x12 Kodiak Cabin tent with a stove jack. Camp Chef Alpine wood burning stove should arrive this week. Set the tent up by myself last night in the yard. Takes a lot longer, but it is simple enough. I tried the Redcliff/Cimarron thing, but I just prefer the floor. I don't like sleeping with the bugs, I don't backpack like I thought I would, and I want the stove for hunting season. Kodiak with a stove seems like a great option. Excited to take it over Labor Day weekend.

FH

Marshfly

WKR
I was out at Oshkosh last week and the folks camping by the planes by far the most popular was the North Face Wawona 6. Huge vestibule. I’ve seen it as cheap as $350 new online. 20lbs and packs pretty small. We got hit by some decent storms and the few I talked to said it was great.

GA airplanes are HEAVILY weight limited. I used to have a 6 seater that barely had 800# capacity once the tanks were full. Most 4 seaters will be under 500#. A 100# Kodiak Flexbow is simply not a realistic option for most.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Agree somewhat. That’s why the NF is good for what the OP is after. It’s built well and light weight. Why the GA guys are using them.

My plane has 800# useful after mains being full. I’m always more volume limited than weight personally so I like compact stuff. I’ve contemplated flying to hunts with my kodiak 12x12 which ways about 150lbs with stove. Would work fine but getting poles in and out would suck. Time for a PC-12!