Alternative to Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants

treillw

WKR
I absolutely love and hate these pants. I own probably five pairs of them and nearly as many shorts. They are incredibly comfortable, lightweight, dry quickly, etc. The only downside to them is that their stitching sucks. Every pair I own has failed stitching, some with complete holes thru pockets. Is there anything out there that is the same material with better stitching? As much as I love them and wear them everyday, I can't see myself continuing to buy them with this defective design. I've looked at a lot of other similar pants and haven't found anything that I like as much. I appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks!

Interesting. I have been wearing the same pair for multiple seasons now with no issues. They are older so maybe something changed. I believe they have a lifetime warranty against defects so maybe try getting them replaced.

Have you read all the threads on pants? Lots of suggestions for Prana and the OR Ferrosi.

I similarly have tons of these and have worn them to work daily for 8-9 years. Given that amount of wear, they’ve held up well, but I have had to make several repairs (usually buttons).

I’ve started mixing in the Wrangler pants everyone talks about here. They’ve held up better so far and I like the stretch they have particularly in the waist area. They’re also much cheaper.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Mine all have holes through the back pockets as well. Interested to see what other suggest.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Even my wife's have the same stuff going on. She doesn't wear them nearly as much and she's not terribly hard on them.

fmyth

WKR
I love my EB Guide Pros and have had several with the same stitching failure. I returned them to EB and they replaced them under warranty. My second choice is the Walmart Wranglers.

zacattack

WKR
How long have you had them? I’ve worn mine almost once a week for the last 4 or 5 years maybe even longer. Yes some of the stitching is coming out but that doesn’t seem that bad for the cost of them.

Have you tried the prana zions? The material is a bit heavier but I’d say the quality is much higher.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I love my EB Guide Pros and have had several with the same stitching failure. I returned them to EB and they replaced them under warranty. My second choice is the Walmart Wranglers.
I tried getting mine replaced and they wouldn't. Looking at their policy, it's only a 60 day return period.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
How long have you had them? I’ve worn mine almost once a week for the last 4 or 5 years maybe even longer. Yes some of the stitching is coming out but that doesn’t seem that bad for the cost of them.

Have you tried the prana zions? The material is a bit heavier but I’d say the quality is much higher.
Zions look nice, but I'm not sure how I feel about that buckle that they have on there to go beltless. I always have a gun and belt on. Is the buckle uncomfortable under a belt?

fmyth

WKR
I tried getting mine replaced and they wouldn't. Looking at their policy, it's only a 60 day return period.
I live near an EB store and took them there after the 60 day return period. " If your product is deemed defective but has no proof of purchase or was purchased outside of the 60-day return window, you only may exchange or replace it with a similar item at an Eddie Bauer store."

Jethro

WKR
I have a bunch of EB pants too. They’ve lasted years, but yes stitching, pockets, buttons not highest quality. Not too bad when they could be gotten for $35 on sale. Not anymore though.

Wrangler good choice and usually cheaper. Sitka traverse similar weight material, excellent quality, but more $$.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I have a bunch of EB pants too. They’ve lasted years, but yes stitching, pockets, buttons not highest quality. Not too bad when they could be gotten for $35 on sale. Not anymore though.

Wrangler good choice and usually cheaper. Sitka traverse similar weight material, excellent quality, but more $$.
You guys keep saying Wrangler. Do they make a lightweight hiking pant? Wrangler makes me think jeans.

You guys keep saying Wrangler. Do they make a lightweight hiking pant? Wrangler makes me think jeans.
The ones I have are called wrangler outdoor performance pants. They are like $25 at Walmart (Sometimes they go on sale for under $20). I’ve had both EB, and wrangler, and these are very comparable, with better stitching IMO.

zacattack

WKR
Zions look nice, but I'm not sure how I feel about that buckle that they have on there to go beltless. I always have a gun and belt on. Is the buckle uncomfortable under a belt?
I don’t know as I’ve never had to wear a belt with them. I also carry with a chest harness if I’m hiking.

Wheels

WKR
I have both the EB’s and Wranglers, the Wranglers are a thicker material, but more durable. Sitka Ascents are thin like the EB’s but more expensive. Love the Eddie Bauer pants but stitching sucks.

Buzby

WKR
I’m interested in this as well. I do like my guide pros. Really liking the new slimmer cut they offer. I only buy them on sale. And they last a couple years. So, not a terrible value. But I would be interested in something better.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
They make a ton and of different pants. The ones below are very very similar. They seem to be a Walmart exclusive now, can’t find them on the wrangler website. I would also recommend the Kuiu kutana pants, way more expensive but much better quality. I’ve used the wrangler’s mentioned without issues but admittedly you can tell the lower quality construction but for a fraction of the EB I would say it’s acceptable.

I did warranty an EB jacket in store well after the 60 day window and was given a EB gift card for the purchase price of my jacket. They did find it under my rewards membership otherwise it would have been a no go.
The ones I have are called wrangler outdoor performance pants. They are like $25 at Walmart (Sometimes they go on sale for under $20). I’ve had both EB, and wrangler, and these are very comparable, with better stitching IMO.