Alternate Solutions For A Beat Up Hip

Looking for some opinions on this:

About 7 weeks ago I took my daughter on a trail ride for her birthday. Long story short the horse I was on must have stepped on a wasp nest or something and he ended up jumping off a small bank into a rock creek bed. He was bucking around and luckily I managed to hang on until he chilled out a bit. In the middle of all this I heard a big pop from my right hip kind of out of nowhere. There was no big impact, just one big pop no zipper sound or anything. It wasn't terribly painful but I got that "not sure if I'm gonna pass out or throw up" feeling. It was pretty sore and affected my walk noticeably for about 2 weeks. Seemed like it started to feel about 20% better but then seems to have just kind of has been the same dull pain for the last 4 or 5 weeks.

Just wondering about options to help speed up recovery.

Last edited:
I really like acupuncture if you guys have that available. Also a physical therapist maybe for exercises?

“Wisten to the whythmic whythm of the woodwinds as it wowws awound and awound…and it comes out here!” — Elmer Fudd

OP
stoopiddumbman
I really like acupuncture if you guys have that available. Also a physical therapist maybe for exercises?

“Wisten to the whythmic whythm of the woodwinds as it wowws awound and awound…and it comes out here!” — Elmer Fudd
Thank you! Acupuncture is definetly something I have considered in the past for my neck and shoulder but never thought for my hip I will look into it.

Thank you! Acupuncture is definetly something I have considered in the past for my neck and shoulder but never thought for my hip I will look into it.
... just a preface that you may need to shop around a little bit... I've been to some acupuncturist I like and some I don't.

heal up man! You have a lot of years ahead of you in the woods!

P Carter

WKR
I'd try a physical therapist or your veterinary friend! Hips can get displaced. I can get a slight displacement, which I fix by doing a move shown by a pt. First, place foam roller sideways with left leg (proper hip) on top and right leg (displaced hip) below. Try to break the foam roller in half by pulling down with the left leg and pushing up with the right leg as hard as possible for 3 seconds, 3 times. Second, lay on back, place foam roller between knees, squeeze at the knees as hard as possible for 3 second, three times. When I do this, I will feel the displaced hip crunch back into place when I squeeze the foam rollers with the knees.

No idea whether this is your issue; the point is that a good PT can identify the issue and provide some exercises and solutions that you can rely on going forward.

Good luck!