Alternate bags on Kifaru Frames

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I've ordered two different Mystery Ranch packs on Guidelight MT frames trying to get a good fit. I've done all the tricks and watched all the videos and even talked to MR customer service a couple of times. I love the design of the packs but no matter what combination of shoulder strap and belt sizes I try, I can't seem to get the frames to sit comfortably on my back the way I think they should.

I've done the back test Aron Snyder showed in a video and I can easily get a balled fist in between my lumbar and the wall. My girlfriend was able to stick her arm up to the forearm in there and clearly see light through it. I've got a barrel shaped upper back and I can also rest a bag of bait carrots on the back of my neck and it'll stay there with me barely holding it. I think I must have a pretty curved back. I've looked at a bunch of frames and I'm thinking the Kifaru duplex lite with curved stays might be worth the investment to try and see if they fit my back better than the MR frame.

My only reservation is I'm not really a fan of the the Kifaru packs. I've got the MR Pintler and I still have time to return it... I'm not sure if I should return it while I still can and get a Kifaru frame + pack, or if I should keep the Pintler, buy a Kifaru frame and if it fits better, sell the MR frame and try to attach the Pintler to the Kifaru frame. I don't have a ton of money so I can't get the Kifaru frame and then return the MR frame, as I wouldn't be able to order the Kifaru frame before the return window on the MR runs out.

Hoping to get some input from more experienced users. Also, how close is the MR Foliage color to the Kifaru Ranger Green? A side-by-side would be great if anyone has one. Thanks in advance.

jAKe0711

Lil-Rokslider
I had a similar problem where my mystery ranch frame just was not that comfortable and so I tried a kifaru frame and haven't gone back. I was in a similar boat as you to where I was only able to get a kifaru frame. I started with attaching a FILBE main bag to the frame and after some easy buckle switching it worked well.
I also tried putting a terra bag on my kifaru frame and though it is possible, you will have to switch out the MR buckles to fastex buckles (mystery ranch uses proprietary buckles, kifaru uses universal fastex buckles)
With all that being said, you can do it, though it may take some finagaling it can work. Nothing will work as perfect as a kifaru bag though but it can work. Hope this helps.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I had a similar problem where my mystery ranch frame just was not that comfortable and so I tried a kifaru frame and haven't gone back. I was in a similar boat as you to where I was only able to get a kifaru frame. I started with attaching a FILBE main bag to the frame and after some easy buckle switching it worked well.
I also tried putting a terra bag on my kifaru frame and though it is possible, you will have to switch out the MR buckles to fastex buckles (mystery ranch uses proprietary buckles, kifaru uses universal fastex buckles)
With all that being said, you can do it, though it may take some finagaling it can work. Nothing will work as perfect as a kifaru bag though but it can work. Hope this helps.

It definitely does help and I appreciate you taking the time.

As much as I love the Pintler and the MR bag designs, even standing around in the house with it on I want to take it off after 20-30 minutes regardless of whether it's got 30lbs or 10lbs in it.

I have frameless packs that I can put weight in and not feel that pressure in specific areas. That's what's leading me to think its got to do with the shape of the frame itself.

Im taking a hard look at the Kifaru Hell Bender as a possible alternative to the Pintler, even though I'd miss the 3zip access.

There are enough attachment points on a Kifaru frame that I'm sure you could find a way to make it work, but if you're the type to be concerned about mismatched shades of green, you're probably not going to be happy with a cobbled together frankenpack.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
There are enough attachment points on a Kifaru frame that I'm sure you could find a way to make it work, but if you're the type to be concerned about mismatched shades of green, you're probably not going to be happy with a cobbled together frankenpack.

Wouldn't be a dealbreaker, just curious if they're far off or pretty similar.

I've also been taking a hard look at the Exo Mountain Gear K3 bags, either the 3200 or the 4800. They both are are appealing but it would all come down to whether the frame fit my back

jAKe0711

Lil-Rokslider
It definitely does help and I appreciate you taking the time.

As much as I love the Pintler and the MR bag designs, even standing around in the house with it on I want to take it off after 20-30 minutes regardless of whether it's got 30lbs or 10lbs in it.

I have frameless packs that I can put weight in and not feel that pressure in specific areas. That's what's leading me to think its got to do with the shape of the frame itself.

Im taking a hard look at the Kifaru Hell Bender as a possible alternative to the Pintler, even though I'd miss the 3zip access.
If you're not married to the idea of an external frame pack since the pintler is only 2355CI I'd also consider a kifaru 14r or Eastern ruck. Their internal frame packs are extremely comfortable.

ChrisAU

WKR
Exo K3 4800 on Kifaru Duplex light is as perfect as I’ve been able to get something so far.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Exo K3 4800 on Kifaru Duplex light is as perfect as I’ve been able to get something so far.

Do you have any pictures of this setup? Did it take any creativity to make it work?

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty much sold at this point.

Just need to wait til the 24inch curved duplex lites come back in stock.

Movadius, tell us where you are located and I'd be willing to bet that you're near somebody that would be more than willing to let you try some packs on for a comfort test. If you were in eastern Washington, I could let you try on a Kifary Duplex, Stone Glacier Xcurve and an Exo.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
That's a very generous idea but I'm in Nova Scotia, pretty small population here. May not be many members nearby.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Do you have any pictures of this setup? Did it take any creativity to make it work?
i believe I was one of the first to do this and I have it documented on rokslide. Just have to get friendly with google search to find it.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/exokifaru-franken-pack-3500-and-5500.36022/

Ive also done HPG to Kifaru frame and Kifaru bags to HPG Frame. I spent a few years trying this out with a bunch of packs and went to town on what it would take.

I have a modified KUIU bag on a Kifaru pack. I think KUIU makes about the best bags, although I have not looked at bags in a few years now so there may be more options from Kifaru I have not seen. I dont like the idea of a pack you have to add pockets too or use pull outs. I did like my DT2. One reason I have not tried a SG.

nphunter

WKR
I currently run a Exo 4800 (Bro) bag on my Kifaru UL Hunter Frame, It's a pretty sweet setup and I use the kifaru buckles as well. I use a grab it under the bag for quarters and smash them on with the bag. I've packed out dozens of animals with the frame with several different bags. Prior to the exo I ran a Kuiu 5200 with a custom horseshoe zipper. I like both bags but the exo fits the frame really nicely.

Mule deer and gear with the exo bag.
466E6915-5CD3-4CBC-8333-F9F08895A70C.jpeg

Entire antelope with the exo bag.
B6BFCF9B-5215-4AA8-826B-D589ADC11F91.jpeg
Full Kuiu bag on a camping trip.
18FAC649-096F-4CC0-A91B-97A14986D3F0.jpeg
Kuiu bag, kind of sloppy job with the bag for a short pack out.
F3487837-A714-461B-9279-39E62B26CFFB.jpeg
Kuiu bag shed hunting
AFC4AE97-F00F-4EAE-A7FC-01B8078CD616.jpeg
Kuiu bag with half a boned our bull.
436C8B7D-41F9-45D4-ACFA-65E2BB731374.jpeg

Last edited: