Alps Commander

SoDakBear

FNG
Its the ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Plus Pack Bag, 5250 Cubic Inches, does anyone have any experience with this pack? If so how is it for packing out big game animals. I am looking for a good solid backpack that will get the job done, but I have a pretty tight budget and this is pretty cheap. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Generally, my experience with ALPS gear is that it usually is a quality item for a low price. I have several ALPS chairs, tables, camp items, and even had a daypack years ago. They were all solid items.

I haven't used that pack, but it does look like it was designed with hunting in mind. It certainly wouldn't be too hard to make a traditional frame like that haul heavy loads.

The concerns I would have would be noise and compressibility. It doesn't look like it has a "daypack mode."

Of course, this is speculation on my part, since I have not used that pack. My speculation is based upon my experience with ALPS products and similar pack designs.

If you do go this route, you should definitely keep Roksliders updated on your experiences, since heavy haulers in this price range are few and far between.

desertcj

WKR
That was my first pack. I did several multi day trips with it and it worked. I sold it and bought a mil surplus ILBE pack off of e-bay. The good- plenty of space, plenty of pockets(For me) and the top and bottom access to the main bag was nice. Seemed fairly tough. The bad- It creaked when I walked as the material slid/flexed over the frame. Heavy and it wasn't super comfortable. I didn't like the external frame.

I'm a lot happier with the internal frame ILBE and it was about the same price. Hope that helps...

chorpie

FNG
That was my first pack. I did several multi day trips with it and it worked. I sold it and bought a mil surplus ILBE pack off of e-bay. The good- plenty of space, plenty of pockets(For me) and the top and bottom access to the main bag was nice. Seemed fairly tough. The bad- It creaked when I walked as the material slid/flexed over the frame. Heavy and it wasn't super comfortable. I didn't like the external frame.

I'm a lot happier with the internal frame ILBE and it was about the same price. Hope that helps...

This was my brother's experience as well this past fall. Pretty loud pack. Not comfortable at all he said.