Pack upgrade

New member here but have read and gathered lots of information from here. That being said I know this discussion has been had dozens of times but I need account activity and also maybe someone has specific comparisons for me.

I have been using an Alps commander x for 6-7 years and have always been mostly pleased with it. It has seen a lot of miles and a lot of animals but it’s time for something new. Besides the weight of it, my biggest complaint is the really dense foam and wide set shoulder straps that have always rubbed me pretty bad with a load. I broke my collarbone and now have a plate and 8 screws in my shoulder and after one 2.5 mile pack with 75-80 pounds this fall I could barely even put my pack on the next day. I’ve pretty much narrowed down my decision to either the Exo 5000 or the stone 5400. I’m 6’3 and 175 so pretty slim and narrow shoulders. Anyone have some input for me?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Order them both. Throw 30lbs+ in each and see how they feel. Both have great return policies.

OP
Edaniels97
Unfortunately the “order both” isn’t really an option or else I would. Do you have either one of the packs? I’ve worn a loaded k3 a little bit and really liked it but understand the foam is different for the k4? I haven’t had a chance with a sg pack.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I have the K4 and love it. I’ve never tried a SG so I can’t comment on it. If you like the K3, you will likely be really happy with the K4.

RedGreen

FNG
Have a K3, been loaded way past 100, love it. I would personally spring for a K3 over a K4 b/c the K3s use aluminum for the frame stays, the K4s use carbon fiber. I had a really bad experience with a Mystery Ranch that really pushed me away from CF for any sort of pack frame, unless it's just not supposed to carry weight.

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve never used an EXO but I like the company and what it stands for. I have had a lot of experience with SG as they are local in town and I’ve packed a good bit of animals with the Solo and XCurve and the 5900 and Krux Evo. I’m 5’8 and 158lbs and it’s fit me very well with light loads backpacking and day hiking and hauling plenty of elk quarters and mule deer and bears off the mountains. Most of the guys at the shop are about your size. Pretty tall and really lean. Sheep and high country hunters for sure. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. Both are going to do what you want them to do. Again it comes to fit and the features you are looking for. From what I hear EXO has a lot of organization and is laid out very well. SG is more minimal from the factory. Something to think about in your decision. Good luck in your choice

OP
Edaniels97
Thank you guys for the input!

How do you like only having the two straps for strapping meat? One thing I do like about the alps is they have multiple strap points and a couple flaps of material that allow you to really secure it so there is literally no movement
I’ve never used an EXO but I like the company and what it stands for. I have had a lot of experience with SG as they are local in town and I’ve packed a good bit of animals with the Solo and XCurve and the 5900 and Krux Evo. I’m 5’8 and 158lbs and it’s fit me very well with light loads backpacking and day hiking and hauling plenty of elk quarters and mule deer and bears off the mountains. Most of the guys at the shop are about your size. Pretty tall and really lean. Sheep and high country hunters for sure. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. Both are going to do what you want them to do. Again it comes to fit and the features you are looking for. From what I hear EXO has a lot of organization and is laid out very well. SG is more minimal from the factory. Something to think about in your decision. Good luck in your choice