Alpen Spotting Scopes

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience with Alpen spotting scopes? They seem to be very reasonably priced, with a good warranty. I'm particularly interested in the model 745. Any info appreciated.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems to be really lacking any non sponsored reviews when I searched it. Price did appear attractive but in optics it's rarely about best price point. The minox md50 has gotten some good reviews on here and can be had in that price range. I took mine to Alaska and put it through the paces with few regrets. For a mid budget scope the vanguard HD has gotten great reviews on here but looks msrp is a little more. I would be interested in a comparison review if you end up with alpen

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting realunlucky I've actually looked at the Minox MD50 too. Looks like a real small compact scope. You were happy with it in Alaska? Is it good and clear all the way through the magnification? Anything you didn't like about it? Maybe others will chime in on Alpen

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting realunlucky I've actually looked at the Minox MD50 too. Looks like a real small compact scope. You were happy with it in Alaska? Is it good and clear all the way through the magnification? Anything you didn't like about it? Maybe others will chime in on Alpen
Md50 is a great scope, that said all but the very top tier scopes have less focus at max power than mid. I could see two musk ox at over two miles and see thier bosses with my 8 bino i couldnt confirm what they were other than big. Not a huge fan of the focus ring like a wheel better but it works just not very well one handed. I have a bigger ie more expensive scope i like better but its heavier and the tripod is also heavier. I couldnt get the larger scope to make the wieght cut on our flyout so i picked up the md50. I dont think you can do better for value than md50. Its also been reviewed by hundreds of people across a broad range of forums including a great review on here by luke moffat

I have an Alpen 742, I believe, straight spotting scope. You get what you pay for when it comes to optics, that said, it's not a terrible little scope. I spotted Barbary sheep from over 2 miles out and was able to accurately see how large they were. If you're not familiar with Barbary, they're incredibly tough to spot due to their size and color. This scope did well, and when the focus dial broke on mine they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked.

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at some of the Alpen scopes today and wasn't that impressed. I liked the side focus knob, but wasn't impressed with the glass. I think for the money there are better options regardless of the good warranty.